Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan GQ 95
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got myself a little laptop and was looking at running my GPS through it but what is the best software or maps to get

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
OziExplorer is the best Software by far... most "electronic" maps you purchase on CD, DVD or Download will already be calibrated EG Hema, UBD etc etc.

$130 Official OziExplorer Web Site - GPS Mapping Software for Tracking and Navigation. Supports Garmin, Magellan, Lowrance and GPS

There are 10's of 1,000's of maps for Ozi available for purchase, swap or share... or you can make your own. Ozi will import/export files direct to Google Maps as well

Track Ranger is probably the next best (don't know how much these days) but pretty rare to find anyone using it now.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Memory Map is another good program. Software is free but you have to pay for the maps. I actually prefer it to Ozi, but I still use ozi because I have all the maps for ozi.

·
Registered
nissan
73 Posts
Anyone know if Oziexplorer runs with windows Vista
I have Ozi explorer on my laptop, bought myself an external GPS and finds Satilites when connected but cannot get it working with Ozi
Any help with this would be really appreachiated

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
Anyone know if Oziexplorer runs with windows Vista
I have Ozi explorer on my laptop, bought myself an external GPS and finds Satilites when connected but cannot get it working with Ozi
Any help with this would be really appreachiated
I think there is a version for vista but check on the site
Official OziExplorer Web Site - GPS Mapping Software for Tracking and Navigation. Supports Garmin, Magellan, Lowrance and GPS
or send them an email to check. I have found that they are very helpfull.

Email: [email protected]

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
I had it working with vista but it kept crashing.

I'd rather run xp than vista, but that's my opinion.
If it is crashing then it is worth talking to Ozi (or email them) they are likely to have a fix for it and you just have to download a free update.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
81 Posts
Sorry to hi-jack the thread, but im interested in having my laptop with this Ozi maps. Just wondering what type of gps do I need, just a normal handheld garmin one???

·
Registered
nissan
2,694 Posts
I had it working with vista but it kept crashing.

I'd rather run xp than vista, but that's my opinion.
I thought NOTHING ran in Vista...;)

I also use XP, IE and old office programs, cause it's nice when things work!

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
Sorry to hi-jack the thread, but im interested in having my laptop with this Ozi maps. Just wondering what type of gps do I need, just a normal handheld garmin one???
Most of the newer mid and upper range Garmins and Magellans will run OK but the easiest and cheapest way is to buy a GPS dongle that plugs into the lappy USB port or CF Card. Cheap as chips on Ebay and just as accurate

·
Registered
nissan
106 Posts
Most of the newer mid and upper range Garmins and Magellans will run OK but the easiest and cheapest way is to buy a GPS dongle that plugs into the lappy USB port or CF Card. Cheap as chips on Ebay and just as accurate
I run Ozi with this set up and it works great. A friend done a desert trip with it and loved it.

·
Registered
nissan
73 Posts
must be doin something wrong, my GPS dongle that plugs into the lappy USB port is picking up satellites ok just cant get it to work with ozi

·
Registered
nissan patrol st
623 Posts
yeah it can be tricky to find the right settings. i have a bluetooth gps for my laptop. thinking from memory as i dont have ozi infront of me right now but im sure somewhere in oziexplorers settings i had to change the gps baud rate to a slower speed or something and you need to set the gps type to nmea or something like that and the com port for the gps.

·
Registered
nissan
106 Posts
You also have to have it in the right port.

must be doin something wrong, my GPS dongle that plugs into the lappy USB port is picking up satellites ok just cant get it to work with ozi

·
Registered
nissan
106 Posts
You can run Ozi maps on your mobile too if you have a mobile that has Android running it. Its a free app called androzi from memory. You just need to use ozf3 maps which you can convert from ozf2 maps. Works with out the need of phone service to.

·
Registered
nissan
106 Posts
I downloaded Ozi for android today and tried it. I think that Androzic is much better and its free and not a trial version. Try it and see the differance. The Ozi version may be better later on but not now.

http://market.android.com/details?id=com.androzic

there is actually an alpha version of oziexplorer for android now llso. been using it and seems good. thinking of getting a cheap android tablet to use ozi now.

OziExplorer GPS Tracking Software for Mobile Devices running Android

1 - 20 of 20 Posts