• Slap something together with stuff from eBay

Votes: 16 36.4%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SWMBO has released the funds for a GPS system for the patrol.

Which way should I go???

·
Roads are for Toyota's
nissan patrol 4.2
1,860 Posts
depends if you want to go for a Double DIN or a windscreen one, if I had the money I'd go a D/DIN with OZI, for now though it's the phone!

·
Ring In..... for now
nissan
282 Posts
Really depends what you want it for.

I love the idea of iPad & ozi explored (when it's released) plus Tom Tom on the iPad or something similar for routing.
But I don't use a routing gps that often & have an iPhone for the emergency times.

I have a d/din on dash screen & would like to have moving map on it, but tbh I reckon the iPad would be cheaper & 1000% more configurable than a fixed in/on dash unit.
Most of the small units aren't great off road. Really only designed for the mass market (who cant read a map &/or can't remember where they've been before ;-)

Give us some idea of what you're expecting & we might be able to help you a bit better!

·
Registered
nissan
35 Posts
You list Navman in the poll, but not Garmin...

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,226 Posts
I have an iPhone, eBay GPS with Ozi, Tom Tom, Garmin,etc, a small laptop and a Navman and have to say by a long shot that the iPhone (same as iPad) is by far the best and most versatile. I just downloaded a FREE navigation app that seems to be doing the trick (NavFree) and I use BitMap ($4.99), Google Maps, plus apps for dyno (seems to be pretty accurate), and have just ordered a cable so I can plug it into the OBDII socket to monitor the ECU.

·
Gunner
nissan patrol
4,162 Posts
Is it possible to load a GPS function to a Laptop and if so what is needed and approximate prices

Sorry if I am hi jacking.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,226 Posts
Is it possible to load a GPS function to a Laptop and if so what is needed and approximate prices

Sorry if I am hi jacking.
Yes you can, finding a program for it is the hardest part. You'll need a GPS mouse (cheap on eBay) and a driver then your off. I used a secondhand Asus Eee Pc which is very compact and has no movings parts and can be charged directly from the 12v cig plug without a need for an inverter. I haven't used it in a couple years and not exactly sure whats available nowadays but surely more.

·
Gunner
nissan patrol
4,162 Posts
Yes you can, finding a program for it is the hardest part. You'll need a GPS mouse (cheap on eBay) and a driver then your off. I used a secondhand Asus Eee Pc which is very compact and has no movings parts and can be charged directly from the 12v cig plug without a need for an inverter. I haven't used it in a couple years and not exactly sure whats available nowadays but surely more.

Thanks for that, as I am only to this side of it, what sorta program am I looking for.

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
Thanks for that, as I am only to this side of it, what sorta program am I looking for.
I prefer OziExplorer for Raster mapping (topo maps, HEMA etc) and Igo8 for Vector mapping (street navigation).

Trial version of Ozi is free and full version $130, maps you get at map shops, swap with mates or on the internet (quite a few are free) or Ozilite comes with some map series.

Igo8 is freely available on the net incl latest maps via torrent sites

·
Gunner
nissan patrol
4,162 Posts
I prefer OziExplorer for Raster mapping (topo maps, HEMA etc) and Igo8 for Vector mapping (street navigation).

Trial version of Ozi is free and full version $130, maps you get at map shops, swap with mates or on the internet (quite a few are free) or Ozilite comes with some map series.

Igo8 is freely available on the net incl latest maps via torrent sites

Thanks for the help guys, I will look these up

·
Gunner
nissan patrol
4,162 Posts

heyhey, Is the type of GPS Mouse that you mean

NEW Globalsat BU-353 BU353 USB GPS Receiver Laptop NB | eBay

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
Yeah, thats what he means... you can get the GPSr as USB wired, Wireless, Blutooth, CF card etc etc.

The cheap ones are just as accurate it is usually more a question of sensitivity and longevity between the knockoffs and the Brand names.

I have a $19 chinnee one that works fine as well as a Globalsat and another no name blutooth jobbie

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
There are only two mapping data suppliers of Australian data for the vector mapping mrket, Sensis and Navteq. So all the vector mapping PND's have similar accuracy issues but differ in the software stability. It is just a matter of picking one that has the better update rate and most user friendly softwrae to hack about.

IMHO IGo8 is the pick by a fair margin (1st quarter 2011 maps already available on the 'net) then Tomtom with Route 66 and Navman easily the worst. Those last two must only stay in business from the American or European markets as Route 66 is sooo far behind with maps and Navmans software is shyte

The most irritating thing is that most of the buggers manage to stuff up something they had correct in trying to fix something else that was inaccurate especially when they fiddle with speed limits and zones

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
snip...

When the navman Dies ( or I pitch it to the chithouse in disgust) i'll be getting a tom tom.
Try and get your hands on a PND running IGO8 for a trial if you can Glort...

I used to use Tomtom but IGO8 is even better IMHO as they update their Aussie maps more frequently and the latest map releases crop up on the (cough cough) 'net a lot quicker

·
Registered
nissan
302 Posts
get a garmin 2460lt they are new and very easy to use and you will be more than happy with I got one at rosehill show and love it... and a good price

·
Registered
nissan
42 Posts
Ive been using a cheap Nuvi 265 for a while, i use shonky maps topo and tracks4australia both free,in conjuction with garmin mapsource, i have been using this set up for a couple of years now and its bloody awsome i can plan the trip from home on mapsource just switch product to shonky topo and away you go then if you want you can switch to google earth right out of mapsource then upload to the gps when you get home upload/download??? to computer you can work out distance also th nuvi is portable so you can whack it in the pocket.
the detail on the shonky in the east coast is very detailed and yet to catch me out.
last night got a mouse gps whatever they are so i can use on the laptop i will let you know how it goes

·
Registered
nissan
24 Posts
Wouldn't touch an IPad, IPhone et with a barge pole. Anything else would be better. However a Linux or Android powered system running ozexplore software would be best.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts