1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan gq patrol
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
gday all
im currently trying to help a mate out fixing his glow plug fault
ive read most of the 2.8 glow plug problems and been trying to figure out whats going on
so far i have tested both glow relays , both are in working order , battery is brand new ,i cannot find any loose/coroded connections,

basically what is happening is the glow light is coming on the dash for about four seconds engaging the first relay which has a noticible click, then sends about 11v to the glow plugs for that 4-6 seconds, after the four seconds it clicks again trying to engage the second relay but for some resaon it cuts power and the glow plugs now have no volatge and the glow plug light begins to flash

according to my mate the plugs were replaced about 10000kms ago, he did not put genuine nissan ones back in though as his mechanic said after market ones would suit

i have not checked the glow plugs resistance as of yet but i will tonight

just wondering if anyone has anymore tips of where to look , at this point i can only think it is the glow plugs but i might be wrong .

any feed back would be muchly appreciated

cheers joel

·
Registered
Nissan
820 Posts
Firstly...ditch the cheap aftermarket ones....only aftermarket ones to use are NGK..as they are OEM suppliers.
Next...clean all the spots on the external rails where they have a connection to a wire or a plug ...and by clean I mean bloody polish them !!. If there is any resistance there...the lower voltage from the second cycle will not get thru properly.
And next...don't ask me how I know this...apart from the tub of gloplugs I have now LOL

HTH.

Cheers Keith

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,549 Posts
Can swap the 2.8 glow system out for the 4.2 one, these glowplugs are cheaper and all run on the same voltage.

Rick

·
Registered
102 Posts
Had the same issue a few months ago. Did exactly what Rogue mentioned. Rip out the PITA 2.8 system and put in a 4.2 system. Cheaper to replace glowplugs as well for the 4.2. Never had a drama with my 4.2 setup now. Send me a PM if you have any questions about doing it. Gladly help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts