Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

Thinking of buying ARB bullbar like on the photo. I've had one positive review from dil on (thanks bud) but need more votes to decide.

Has anyone ever had any overhanging issues, example when taking steep humps or the likes? Is the weight of a bar the problem or not (I understand depends on coils but anyway).

Winch. Would I have to make a tray for it or the bar is strong enough to have it bolted to the front side?

Would I need to strenghten the bar by welding corner plates inside the bar or any modification would be good to do?

If you have pics of the bar on your patrols please share.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
377 Posts
Have the same one Doubt you will have any issues with it I haven't yet.
The winch bolts to the front of the bar and you don't need a tray or cradle.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
If you like it buy it, **** what everyone else thinks.
they have been round since ~1988 and are still going

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
1,610 Posts
what bruce ^ said. The are the market leader, touring and general thrash yu troll in the bush things, bloody good bar, comps .... buy or make tubes to get the required approach angles.

·
Registered
Nissan
1,865 Posts
i had one on my last gq loved it loved the look. i have a non winch one now and i want a winch one as i recon they look beter

·
mechanical necromancer
1,682 Posts
I had the non winch and the winch version, great bar. Massive amounts of protection my non winch bar accounted for an Astra and a Crumbledoor and all i did was crack some lights and bend the bar slightly (which earned me the winch bar).

To be truthful I also work there as a fitter and can tell you the bars are very well made, and if something is not right then it's fixed or replaced.

·
Registered
378 Posts
the bar is fine and looks good in my opinion just be aware that the premium bar wont fit a high mount without some mods and you need to space the winch back a low mount fits fine this may not affect you but is handy to know

·
Registered
nissan
232 Posts
I've had one with 10.000 lb Warn winch since 1993, it's seen a lot of kms & a few bumps &
scrapes, I think its an excellent product product that works & looks well.

·
BLACK BETTY
607 Posts
I wish I had brought a arb bar instead of the tjm one. I have had it for a couple years and only just decided to fit a winch.
Had to buy a cradle about $200 to fit my winch to my winch bar.
Also no room to fit solenoid box. Had to make a mount to suit.
The number plate mount is gay and would not last 5 mins. I again made a better version.

That was fitting a tjm winch into a tjm bar. When I finally destroy this bar. I will defiantly buy a arb bar.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
DANGER! see the shackle hanging off the bar in the first pic? THAT IS NOT A RECOVERY POINT!
it is for a high lift jack to connect to.

If you look above the warn sticker you will see a red hook. I use these on both sides with a winch extension strap hooked to them threaded through the end of the snatch strap. This balances the load. I also have some pieces of plate on the inside of the hooks so the bolts cant pull through no matter what.

I have the non-winch version of that bar along with the matching brush bars and side steps. very happy with them.

one criticism. the tabs for the driving lights are not long enough, they need to be extended so the lights are further back tucked in behind the bar so you dont smash your nice IPFs on bump gates....
Twice...

·
Registered
Nissan
1,865 Posts
the bar is fine and looks good in my opinion just be aware that the premium bar wont fit a high mount without some mods and you need to space the winch back a low mount fits fine this may not affect you but is handy to know

wicked rig mate
is that pick at the mouth on the goolwa side?
was down there today

·
Registered
nissan
645 Posts
mine before an after

When i got mine it looked crap, so i modified it so that i could slip the high lift into the front of the bar on either side an had it powder coated dark grey.
I also fitted heavy hooks to underside of bar.

before.

after.

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
645 Posts
mine before an after

When i got mine it looked crap, so i modified it so that i could slip the high lift into the front of the bar on either side an had it powder coated dark grey.
I also fitted heavy hooks to underside of bar.

before.

after.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Wow, only positive emotions. Will call local ARB today.

l'll update my build thread once new goody is on.

Thanks all for reviews and for sharing mods, appreciate it!

·
manuals the real mans choice
nissan
380 Posts
I have one. I've rolled my SWB, didn't bend it, slide down a hill and hit rocks in water and only dented it. The approach angle isn't the best, but I only have a little lift :) and tbh haven't found another bar I'd even consider buying. Mines the winch version.

·
What Have I Done?
nissan
5,122 Posts
Hey Cat Dog, in my previous contract ( Truck driving)
I worked for/ out of ARB Manufacturing in Kilsyth and Kenworth Trucks( Bayswater) Melb Vic.
All i can say i have nothing but admiration for both companies.
ARB really are the bees knees, the way they're designed/ and built, is nothing but fantastic.
the quality of their work, welds and overall quality of steels are 10/10.
Their enginnering divission is gobsmacking, and their contracted outsourced laser cutters etc etc,
are A Grade.
They deffinately dont skimp in the process of any of their bars manufacturing.
Australian made, worldwide standards,

Some really cant stomach the price variance, but have faith , you really are getting what you pay for with an ARB Bullbar.
I have a colourcoded Deluxe bar on my GU ARB, and personally wouldnt have it any otherway for myself after seeing them being produced.

·
Registered
nissan
17 Posts
Just to sport a different opinion, have a look at the Milweld Custom Bars. I purchased one for my newer (93) Gq after having had three different bars on my old GQ (88). The entry angles are great and there are several different types to choose from.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
1,045 Posts
I love the look of these bars and been trying for months to get a second hand one,even paying courier costs.just can't find any.must be popular and no one wants to get rid of there's. So if anyone has one pm me. Thanks

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
9,258 Posts
the powder coat varies in quality is my observation of ARB bars. I do not think the surface prep is very comprehensive.

My ARB barwork has very soft paint. It scratches readily and I am starting to see quite alot of rust. But there's enough steel in it that the rust will only be surface rust and not compromise strength for many, many years.

Another issue with ARB barwork is their approach angles are not very good. Many 4wds have a better approach angle with their stock bumpers. Is not a problem for most though.

Weight is an issue but won't make much difference to handling of the GQ.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts