Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys im looking at buying a GQ wagon but as atm the ones im more interested in are always Auto's, id rather a 5speed but how things are looking 5 speeds seem few and far between atm.

Now my Question is
How good are these Auto's and what are the main common issues with them?

As i dont really feel like being stuck out in the bush, im buying it mainly to go four wheel driving and it will have plenty of challenges ahead of itself and the last thing i want to be worried about is the gearbox

Cheers Evil!

·
Registered
nissan
675 Posts
Can see your dilemma, I don't like autos for the bush either, or four wheel driving, or towing, in fact I don't like them at all.

That might bring you some answers.
But seriously, you might just have to play the waiting game till what you want comes up.
Luck.

·
Slow But Reliable
nissan gq patrol
527 Posts
Nothing wrong with autos, just need to know how to drive them in the bush. Heaps better than a manual. I'll never go back to a manual now.

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
Check out Wholesale Automatics website... they put some serious horses thru the Patro Auto's no worries at all.

I tried pretty hard to kill my EFI Auto for a few years so I had an excuse to put in an extreme valve body, sadly the box just kept on going and going and going...

I don't know of any "common" issues with them. As long as they haven't been cooked they will go for the life of the truck.

·
Registered
nissan
22 Posts
I have had 2 petrol Auto's now, they are strong but make sure to put a trans cooler on it straight away to keep it running cool, they don't like getting hot, as my first one did and blow up, the re-build was about $2500,about 6 years ago. A trans cool is a must mate .
How my post helps mate.

·
Slow, Rough and Expensive
1,137 Posts
For peace of mind an exchange torque convertor for $150 because they usually go first and they will send metal around the box requiring a costly rebuild, change the filter and do an oil change, put a big external oil cooler and fit a lock-up torque convertor switch to help stop the hunting for overdrive that is common around 80kmph. This has been my experience and sounds like a lot of work but not that hard and when set-up right they are great in both bush and city driving, very reliable and will easily smoke a manual anyday of the week:wink:

·
Registered
543 Posts
I think micks4x4 advise is good but from my experience and others on this forum is that if everything is working correctly then it will be fine.
But and it is a big but if you have a problem that relates to a sensor or some other thing then it is very difficult to get it fixed as not many people know how to fix it except they guess and you pay.
That was my experience and remember that if you have trouble manual conversion is well under 2k

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Can see your dilemma, I don't like autos for the bush either, or four wheel driving, or towing, in fact I don't like them at all.

I also could not see myself owning an auto 4wd i used to be strictly a manual man , but since buying an auto they are better than a manual for 4wding and towing and have had no problems in the bush , they tend to run away slightly on steep declines other than that they are better .

Add a large auto trans cooler and use a full synthetic trans fluid for a start then you can include shift kits , manual lockup convertor switch , temp gauge etc

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
at last a question that hasnt been asked a billionty times.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the feedback guys now im not so stressed about buying an auto 4x4 i can see how owning an auto would be alot more easier to drive over a manual out in the bush with what iv read from you guys i will keep an open mind now

thanks again fingers crossed i find my new toy pretty soon then :)

Evil!

·
naturally asthmatic
4,387 Posts
In addition to what **** said, I would highly recommend using Lubegard "Red": http://www.lubegard.com/~/C-112/LUBEGARD+Automatic+Transmission+Fluid+Protectant. Hopefully you can get it in Australia. The stuff made an amazing difference in the shifting alone. Likewise, make sure you use the correct ATF and change it regularly. Like Canada, I understand that Dexron III sold there is not the same as the Dexron III sold in Japan. At a minimum, your ATF has to meet the Nissanmatic D rating. I've heard stories of the regular Dexron III dissolving old paper clutch packs. Additionally, a number of tranny mechanics have told me to never use a tranny flush machine on an old box. They also recommended adding a ATF temp gauge and an additional inline filter to catch problems before they become big problems. I still have yet to get to doing those two things.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts