Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Part of the furniture
nissan
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive seen so many guys asking about their GQ clocks, mine also wasn’t working so i thought i would pull it out and give it a whirl to fix it. And what i did made it work. Just to make sure it wasn’t a fluke, gave it a try on my mates mavtrol too, as his clock has never worked either.

ill do a write up and add pictures at the bottom, i still don’t know how to do pics separated by writing.

materials;
1 x soldering iron
1 x flat head screw driver
1 x phillips head screw driver
1 x hour of your time

step 1;
take the center consol fasia off, this is done by simply removing 2 screws each side, by where your knee’s go and 4 screws up the top, 2 in each upper air vent. helps if you have your gear shifters in 4L and in 2 / D for the autos.

step 2;
lean the facia forward, and locate the clock, unclip the electric plug to the clock, and undo the 2 screws which hold the clock. once you have the clock out, rest the facia back into its every day position.

step 3; (picture 2)
take the clock apart, look at the clock carefully as you can only use the push tabs on the right side to take the face plate off, once you have this off, push a screw driver in the back to loosen the clock circuit board and pull it out.

step 3; (picture 3)
turn the panel over, so the LCD screen is facing downwards, and with a really hot soldering iron, touch each of the solder joints till the solder turns back into a liquid and then remove the heat. (if you can, turn your soldering iron on, before you start dismantling the consol to get the clock out)

step 4;
once you have done every joint, take the still disassembled clock back to the GQ, plug the connector back in, turn the accessories on and see if the clock illuminates. If the clock illuminates, continue to next step. If clock fails to illuminate, please see picture ‘4’. If you need to do this step, i suggest just snipping of the capacitor, take it to REPCO grap a new one, (if you cant get the same, get the one closes to it, but rated higher, NEVER lower) heat up the solder and push the new one in. check to see if it works. (if it doesn’t, i cant help you any more, you could try replacing the one directly left of it)

step 4; (picture 5)
once its all working, put the clock together in the reverse of how you took it apart. circuit board into the black covering first, and then front facia back on.

step 5; (picture 6)
affix the assembled clock back onto the centre consol and affix with the 2 screws you took out.

step 6;
put the consol back into place, and do the reverse of step 1.

step 7; (picture 7)
turn your acc’s on, set the time and enjoy your handy work J

Attachments

·
Part of the furniture
nissan
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
also, if you do this DIY..

feel free to post on how it went and how easy/hard you found it to be.

i think this is such a easy DIY, anyone could do it.. even the handbrake!

·
Registered
Nissan
221 Posts
Sounds like the next thing i'll do.

Thanks mate!

·
Premium Member
nissan
142 Posts
It worked for me without changing the capacitor
Thanks

Tim

·
Registered
Nissan GQ ute 1990
128 Posts
great idear might have to give it a go mine works when it wants to :)

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
1,045 Posts
Great diy.mine had a mind to its own,would wake up whenever it felt like it.
Just putting dash back now. Tested and lovin it.
Thanks mate.

·
Registered
4x4nissan
1 Posts
Many thanks OLD.SCHOOL.HERO

Your detailed instructions for fixing clock were spot on, it has not worked for the last five years, it now has a new lease of life once again thanks

hamaja44

·
Registered
nissan safari
117 Posts
Worked for me!! Thanks heaps for sharing the fix.

Jurgs

·
Banned
nissan patrol
178 Posts
guna do this at the first opportunity thanks

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
I disconnected my head unit and UHF power from the factory accessory circuit a couple of weeks ago and connected them to the aux battery and now my clock works all the time. :confused: :)

·
Registered
nissan
645 Posts
Done !
Worked great
Thanks for the write up

·
Part of the furniture
nissan
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
O.S.H did you know your decking is upside down?
its been like that for 36 years :)
was like that when we bought the house!

but its all good, its all getting replaced soon, funny enough..
with that plastic compisite **** i think..

in my build thread, ill have to show photos of befor and after of the house,
having a fair bit of reno's done this year!

1 - 20 of 94 Posts