Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking for advice from people who have put an XR6 turbo motor into a GQ. If you know someone who has done it maybe you could put me in touch with them?
I have a GQ with a dead 2.8 diesel and an XR6 Turbo ute that has been Tboned. The Patrol has a great body and the ute has a terrific motor. So the plan is to marry them into a beautiful relationship.
The first preference is to keep the Nissan 5 speed manual. So we need hear from people who have already had a go at this. What problems did you encounter and how did you sort them. Do we need an adaptor plate for the bell housing or a new bell housing – is there one that fits? What pressure plate should we use and which clutch plate? Does the spline slip straight in or does it need an adaptor of some sort?
What about the electrics and the computer? What problems did you encounter and how did you sort them out?
If you’ve tried this conversion and decided in the end that keeping the XR6 auto was just easier, I’d also like to hear from you. How did that go with the Transfer case? Did you change your diff ratio? I am also wondering how the XR6 diff would cope in the Patrol.
Other issues: e.g. Speedo accuracy; Cruise control; what have I missed?

·
Master Coalroller
3,245 Posts
Do a search above using “Barra” as the topic base. There’s a fair bit of this Barra converting going on.
2.8 has the small LSD hemisphere, yokes, universals and tailshafts, I think 2.8 also has a smaller rated gearbox too. Research this early as you may need to upgrade this drivetrain spec to TD42 to suit a conversion kit.
The LSD center is easy to upgrade as you only need to swap in the larger GQ/U hemisphere.
Look up Hadfield engineering and Marks 4wd adaptors for info on conversion kits

·
Registered
321 Posts
if the is zf auto I would be going down that path. few people have done it here and lots of people in the barra trol page on facebook

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do a search above using “Barra” as the topic base. There’s a fair bit of this Barra converting going on.
2.8 has the small LSD hemisphere, yokes, universals and tailshafts, I think 2.8 also has a smaller rated gearbox too. Research this early as you may need to upgrade this drivetrain spec to TD42 to suit a conversion kit.
The LSD center is easy to upgrade as you only need to swap in the larger GQ/U hemisphere.
Look up Hadfield engineering and Marks 4wd adaptors for info on conversion kits
Thanks Mate I'll be checking that out!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep the 6sp would be awesome in the GQ. I know that there were a few companies offering adaptors to connect the zf to the GQ transfer
I had a look today and its an 04 BA. It's probably a 5 speed or even a 4 speed with overdrive. But it is certainly a genuine barra. I might stick with the five speed manual. A 6sp would be nice but sourcing it might become a bit too expensive.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Yeah if you are going to be doing the zf auto option it has all come from the same car. Can't mix and match with great success. I hear that Haltech have jumped onto this but the option is not cheap

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
the fb barra gq/gu group is a wealth of info.
everything these days is available off the shelf for a complete bolt in conversion.
wiring, mounts, ecu unlocks and tunes etc etc
you will need an fg sump and, windage tray and pick up aslo to clear the diff.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah if you are going to be doing the zf auto option it has all come from the same car. Can't mix and match with great success. I hear that Haltech have jumped onto this but the option is not cheap
What is the zf auto like for towing. I had a GQ Ti TB42 auto at one point and it was great until I hooked up the camper trailer - the gearing was all wrong for towing.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
What is the zf auto like for towing. I had a GQ Ti TB42 auto at one point and it was great until I hooked up the camper trailer - the gearing was all wrong for towing.
Take a look at the ratios.
The zf is a much better box.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts