Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,had a search but couldnt find what i was looking for. the dash cluster in my gq td42 has had it,no speedo or tach, i thought it might be electrical but when i pulled it out there was all sorts of things rolling around inside it, so i just want to put another 1 in.

its a cluster with the orange filter, will a cluster that is green have the same plugs and work????

im guessing it would be the same, just wanted to double check

thanks in advance

·
Banned
nissan patrol
78 Posts
mines probably an easy fix i just cant be stuffed but the tacho doesnt move till ive been driving for a while and sometimes moves its self up and gets stuck, and the speedo works when it feels like it

·
Registered
nissan
5 Posts
In the Nissan Manual there are 3 different clusters - no mention of colour. No differentiation between the TD42 or TB42.

Type A - most gauges
Type B - doesn't have a oil or temp gauge - just lights
Type C - doesn't have tacho

All have the same plugs and wiring diags.

probably stuffed motors. I paid $200 for a new stepper motor for the Odometer

·
Safari Hoarder
nissan
4,791 Posts
There are threads on resoldering the circuit boards on the back of each instrument. Other units the magnets go and still others the sending unit is stuffed.

·
Learned the hard way - RD28t out TD42 in
4,415 Posts
You'll have to match the replacement cluster to the one you take out as Nissan made many detailed changes along the way. If not, be prepared for a lot of rewiring. You'll also need one from a Patrol with the same engine type (6 cyl diesels, 4 cyl diesels and petrols are all different) as yours if you want the tacho to work.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Would be easier.

If you had to use a newer cluster;
The pre 91 has 2 x 12 pin and 1 x 8 pin connectors,
the post 91 has 2 x 12 pin and 1 x 10 pin connector.

Asumming the connector housings are the same across the versions, you would need the 10 pin housing from the loom post 91.

Then it would be a matter of removing pins from all the connectors, and reinserting them to suit the post 91 cluster.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
hmm, got a spare firewall and A pillars in the back yard, not sure what year it is, Might have some plugs for you Oilrig

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah sounds good, i dont really want to mess around but i cant seem to find a dash the same year as mine so i think i am going to have to play around with the 1 you have mike :)

im waiting to hear back from another bloke who thinks he has a dash from a 88 but its been a few days now,might go see him again today.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok,found the problem with my tach and speedo not working. i took the tach and speedo off the cluster and dusted the crap off them,on each guages circut board there is a white resistor looking thing(possibly a resistor) with 30 written on the tach one and i cant see the speedos 1. they have both burnt out,i suspect from a overcharging alternator it had when i first bought it. so im going to go to dick smiths or something and get some new ones and see if i can un-solder the old ones and renew. i havent done it before so ill probably break them even more :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts