Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all
A friend just stripped his front dif(defo a 31 spline 233) and says he has 4.875/1 ratios,it's a mid 90's TD42 shorty GQ,i thought 3.9 or 4.1 is norm,my 94 TD 4.2 has 4.1/1,is he dreaming or is it possible??any info please?

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
wouldnt be factory anyway , you can get aftermarket in that size
x2 , it would'nt be factory

Tell us more on the shorty
Like what tyre size
Does it rev its valves off on the highway
Does it run properly in 4wd or does the drivetrain lock up , to determine same ratio front/rear
What did the previous owner use it for
And yes your mate may be dreaming

·
Registered
nissan
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for replys,the story with this GQ is-my friend was looking for a set of GQ axles for his project Grand Cherokee,found a GQ in wreckers,complete and running,nothing special at all,owned by farmer and showed it!!i helped take axles out,all looked original,he headed off home with them,opened up front to fit LSD and found 4.875,we had presumed 4.1 and i had never heard of 4.875 in GQ TD4.2 so here i am looking for more info or possibilities!!!he's delighted of course but he's not the patrol fan-unlike me!! if these ratios are not Factory standard then i dont know what to say as the vehicle itself was in standard form,31,10.5,15's etc etc,i know this ratio can be found in Cabstars over here but not in patrols and not reverse cut high pinion so the only answer is that someone fitted after market gears?? curious

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Without being rude, how did you identify they are 4.875's? As it sounds very unlikely from the previous owner and the setup of the car. But anything is possible.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GQ GU
1,299 Posts
With 4.8s in it running 31s the thing would have revved at over 3000rpm doing 100km/h down the road. Screaming it head off. very unlikely in what looked like a farm truck.

Hmmm?? no disrespect, check you maths again. This is a very unusual mod and only really considered at the extreme end of the market, you know.. a truck running 40s+ might look for some 4.8s

1 - 6 of 6 Posts