Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
5,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
I just bought this gasket from Nissan dealer. It's meant to be the original one.
The manual says the gasket has to fit with correct orientation. One side is green and other side brown.
But, this one isn't color coded, but has a 'gutter' or a 'protrusion' depending on which side I look at it from.
So, I'm guessing the protruding middle line side should be touching the diff centre carrier, and the other 'gutter' side onto the diff housing. I did that like that already, taking an 'educated' guess.
I couldn't ask any technicians from local nissan dealer 'cos they were closed already, so I decided not to drag the job on any longer 'cos of the gasket orientation 'crisis'.
Gasket sides are interchangeable. either side of the gasket can face either the carrier or the diff housing.

Please tell me I did it right.

I'm guessing the gasket side orientation probably doesn't matter?! May be bit overstated in the manual?!

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
1,093 Posts
The two cutouts line up with the crownwheel.

Sorry, I see what your saying. I couldn't see why there would be any difference and considering that gasket isn't colour coded

·
Registered
Nissan
5,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The two cutouts line up with the crownwheel.

Sorry, I see what your saying. I couldn't see why there would be any difference and considering that gasket isn't colour coded
Yep, mate. That's my thinking too. Manual says otherwise. But, this is orignial genuine Nissan gasket(according to the dealer). Both sides are identical except the middle 'canal'.
:-D

·
Registered
nissan patrol
237 Posts
Most of my local Nissan dealers don't know that this exists. They told me that they use gasket goo and that I should do the same.
I had to order this gasket as a Navara part.

As for the op, what you've done is far better than most guys do so don't stress.

·
Registered
Nissan
5,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks guys for the all quick replies. I think I'm going to be ok. Just struggling with the pinion nut at the moment. It's got one hell of a torque on it with loctite(red stuff). My 12V rattle gun with 350Nm(supposedly) won't budge it. I'm going to have to lock the wheels and do it the hard way under the car now. If you have some better ideas, pls do post. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts