Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

GQ Dual Cab Build

20K views 71 replies 28 participants last post by  Heavensent 
#1 ·
Hi All, Started my dual cab build on the 6/12 and is going well so far so i thought i would post some progress pics.

Attachments

See less See more
#14 ·
I've bought a hilux window/rubber so i just have to fill in the hole with sheet and then cut the hole for the window, its too dear for me to go custom, im on a tight budget, so far the build has cost me, $83 for old steel tray(ebay), $100 for hilux window(ebay), $70 for the steel(local steel mob), got free tail lights, already have paint and other finishing gear, and i have sold off my side windows,tail lights, bumpers for total of $130 so has only really cost me so far $123, not bad, still need to buy the sheet for the back window yet, but still very cheap!!

CHOP IT!! you know you want too, you wont look back, i haven't.LOL

#13 ·
I've used the old bit of roof and will use more of whats left to fill in the bits at the sides. the engineer loved the idea because of the grooves in it for strength.

#9 ·
How much weight do you think its lost? enough to make a difference power-wise? also did you consider a tray?
Oh looking good LOL :D

#15 ·
Hey steelo, not really trying to shed any pounds for power its more for practicallity and it looks cool,haha.
Mate go efi its so much better and if thats not enough, turbo fixes everything.lol. thats my next project once i finish paying for this.

#10 ·
Also started my chop will hav to post pictures, i rckon it will gain weight being dual cab as the rear half of the wagon weighs next to nothing, your chop is looking good , how much you get quoted for the rear window? keep on posting your progress

#12 ·
LOL at the welder sitting on the fuel tank.

Might be a good idea to remove the tank while you do this work.
Nah, its pretty safe its got a full tank, so not many fumes if any.LOL
Shes fully insured and have contents on the house aswell that covers these sort of accidents. haha

#16 ·
Lookin good mate i have been thinking of doing this for a while now and every time i see a new thread i get closer to it hahaha, only difference is i want to keep the GQ tub as a well body insted of a flat tray and turn the rear doors into a fold down tailgate. keep the pics comming im enjoying this one.

#20 ·
sorry to stomp on your fire here, but im wondering how your going about keeping the structual integrithy of the body. the inside panels of a vehicle are the ones that provide all the strength, so you are cutting these off all in the same place not staggered and just welding a plate (which will only join to the exterior panels of the vehicle) over the strong bits to cover them up. its all well and good having child seat supports welded into the back but what is going to stop them twisting and pulling out because lets face it they are only mounting to what is essentially a ladder bar and a piece of 0.8 flat mild steel.
at a quick thought, my first sugestion and this is only my first, would be to put a roll bar in the back with cross supports. then possiably the interior panels should be all folded up neatly and spot welded together, then you can worry about the cosmetic bits.
i mean seriously you are f***ing around with the parts of a car that are seriously going to save your life and your bragging that the job has only cost you $120 something. do you really think your doing yourself a favor here.

#21 ·
ok, next suggestion time.
the lower interior panels. make up a a box section. trim back (starting with) the inner most panel to suit the shape of the first part of the box section. weld it onto the fore mentioned panel. next trim the second most inner panel longer enough to suit the second piece of your box section, weld this to the fore mentioned panel then run along the entire lenght of the box section with a spot welder. carry this on with all the interior panels until its just the cosmetic outer panels left. then go for the looks treatment.

#22 ·
there cant be to much of a problem with it as engineers pass these all the time. the structual integerity is fine once completed considering the that the to rear pillars hold much of the support anyway it would most likly make the rear of the cab more rigid than the standard wagon. you will probably find the the child restraints will be fixed to the RHS frame not just poked throught the skin.

#23 ·
JUST TO SET THE RECORD STRAIGHT HERE!!

I know there is alot of people who just go ahead and cut/ weld where ever they like and dont consider what or where they are cutting/welding, however i have done my homework and have the design approved. the 0.8mm sheet on the back is purely cosmetic at the end of the day as the frame structure is fully welded to the internal structure of the vehicle and the floor. the internal panels of the pillars are overlapping on the inside and the window panel i have fitted is 1.2mm and has been designed for extra strengh. Now it is all welded up the roof is stronger than it ever could have been, the way it has been cut and welded.

At the risk of sounding rude, I think i have earned the right to brag about the low cost of my build.

Attachments

#24 ·
Sutto, The lower RHS (which is doubled up) is attached to the standard chils restraint bolts and the new child restraints will be attached to the lower RHS, the engineer loved this idea.

Cheers for the support mate.

#27 ·
You could put one of those cheap hand-winch cranes on it AND still fit the bike..

He doesnt need to worry about fires when he's welding, the concussion from the fuel tank exploding under the welder should blow the little fires out :D

#33 ·
I Have a mate that is doing chops for $1000 bucks hes in brisbane but hes flat out till the end of january give him a call and see when he can fit you in 0425632020 His name is shane aka Snail pace on the forum if you cant get a hold of him pm me your number and ill get him to give you a call when he can

#34 ·
Its BACK!!

Woo Hoo I didnt blow self up!!

She is just about finished, still have some triming toi do on the inside but its drivable again.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.