Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I have been on here for a while and never posted much and thought it was about time to show everyone what I get up to.

I bought this gq about 4 or 5 years ago as a beat up 91 tb42 with a rattle can spray job.
3 or 4 months into having it the engine dropped a rod and destroyed itself so I put a 351 cleveland into it and then proceeded to chop it down into a dual cab ute. Drove it around like that for a year or so before realizing 300hp carby v8 isnt that good up the Bush and 700 dbl pumper holleys do not like big hills up the steep stuff
So I sold off this running gear and have now put a td42 Silvertop turbo into it and have extended the wheelbase by 540mm to give me much needed tray space and better comfort for tourning as I plan on doing a trip up to north QLD next year with the family.
Anyway I will attach some photos and am happy to give more details on what I done
Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
I sort of wish I extended mine 600.
It can still be done but now she’s been side lined to a wknd rig it doesn’t need it.

·
Registered
nissan
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I sort of wish I extended mine 600.
It can still be done but now she’s been side lined to a wknd rig it doesn’t need it.
Oh yeh I have checked yours out looks good mate
I drove mine around for a while not extended the only reason I done it was because I had no engine in it for the last 12 month's
If it hadn't been such a long time with no engine I would have never done the stretch

·
Registered
nissan
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hows your roll over angle now? Can you still rock crawl
Not 100% sure how much I have lost but with 37s and 3" lift it was fairly high before the stretch and hopefully won't bottom out on the rails to much now
Once I have the tray and everything I will do some measurements

·
Registered
nissan
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bit of an update
I've chopped an old single cab tray down to use for the time being until I get time to finish the alloy tray and canopy I am building
Everything is hooked up and working had the car running and driving so far
Just need to finish off an air box and work out intercooling the td42

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Small update
After having some issues with the waste gate jamming open and then fixing that now the rear diff has seized so I spent this afternoon pulling the diff apart to see what the damage was.
Looks like the center is to blame the wheel bearings are perfect.
I will start to pull the center apart when I get time but looks to be the input shaft bearing is the culprit here
Very frustrating as this is the 2nd gu diff i have bought and only got a few hundred ks before started to make noise and then it seized when I parked it in the driveway.
Anyway I will post photos of what I find when I get the time
Cheers

·
Registered
nissan
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bit of an update

Got a new diff center for the rear end and while it was all apart I ended up putting 4.3 gears front and back
Feels pretty good to drive now and I also advanced the timing a touch and the egts have dropped down to within safe levels.
Next plan is to put a top mpunt cooler on and then possibly look at a 11mm compensated pump for it to along with a dyno tune

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan gq
407 Posts
Care full mate masking high egt's with timing, the heat is still there but just kept in the head as apposed to the exhaust where the probe is. Maybe it was already way retarded but there is more knowledgeable people on the subject then me here, if your concerned.

jim

·
Registered
nissan gq
1,886 Posts
Hi all
I have been on here for a while and never posted much and thought it was about time to show everyone what I get up to.

I bought this gq about 4 or 5 years ago as a beat up 91 tb42 with a rattle can spray job.
3 or 4 months into having it the engine dropped a rod and destroyed itself so I put a 351 cleveland into it and then proceeded to chop it down into a dual cab ute. Drove it around like that for a year or so before realizing 300hp carby v8 isnt that good up the Bush and 700 dbl pumper holleys do not like big hills up the steep stuff
So I sold off this running gear and have now put a td42 Silvertop turbo into it and have extended the wheelbase by 540mm to give me much needed tray space and better comfort for tourning as I plan on doing a trip up to north QLD next year with the family.
Anyway I will attach some photos and am happy to give more details on what I done
Cheers
You used a rear chassis from a donor,cut to give you the extension ?

Cheers,G.

·
Registered
nissan
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Been getting busy on the xlwb double cab in this lock down..
So far I have taken the high mount turbo setup off and fitted the low mount turbo manifold and spare turbo I had in the shed after i clocked the housings and ported the wastegate as the hole was 22mm and the flap was 36mm so I bought the hole out to 32mm roughly...
Built a intake manifold with front entry and 70mm lid lift 3" inlet and custom topmount intercooler
This setup will only have the one silicone joiner on the cold side and 2 on the hot side.
Once I finish this I will move onto the try set up and then the guard fill in boxes in the rear guard

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey mate great build, just wondering how much difference you felt from the lid lift in the intake?
Hey @werley
I honestly havent driven it yet
Just finished the exhaust off today and cut out the bonnet
I'll be driving it tomorrow so I will let you know

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No worries, shes looking pretty tough with that giant scoop. Im going through the exact process after i weld up my plenum 😎
Yeh nice mate
What style are you going for?
You will habe to post up in the intake manifold thread so i can check it out

·
Registered
nissan
142 Posts
Yeh nice mate
What style are you going for?
You will habe to post up in the intake manifold thread so i can check it out
Im going the top entry to suit my cooler, im expecting alot of trial and error 😂
I always plan to take photos when im doing this but always forget, this time ill make an effort

·
Registered
nissan
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Im going the top entry to suit my cooler, im expecting alot of trial and error 😂
I always plan to take photos when im doing this but always forget, this time ill make an effort
My cooler was setup for top entry manifold but I redid the pipes out of the cooler to do front mount in the end as I wanted to try get a even flow path

Defenetly take some photos for us to check out mate I am always interested in what everyone is up to

·
Registered
nissan
142 Posts
My cooler was setup for top entry manifold but I redid the pipes out of the cooler to do front mount in the end as I wanted to try get a even flow path

Defenetly take some photos for us to check out mate I am always interested in what everyone is up to
Yep will do, even though ill have my ally welds up on the chopping block

·
Registered
nissan
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Been getting a few things done on the old girl
Got a lift pump installed
Dual fuel tanks now so I have 165l of fuel onboard
Pollack diverter valve setup to switch between the 2 tanks and have fuel level read out for either tank selected
Fuel lines replaced with braided lines front to back
Rear coil towers brace made and welded into place
Tray mounts remade and welded up
Diff and gearbox breather in place now
And a bunch of other stuff I can't think of right now

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts