Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
21 - 40 of 171 Posts

·
Glasshouse Bogan #1
nissan patrol gu
9,423 Posts
I just don't know how you find time to do all that if you do. It took me 12 months to rebuild my gearbox after 5th gear went because I had 2 little ones bothering me lol.well done on the build.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
nissan patrol
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Yeah, got a kid. has taken a while to get this far...
the upper chassis brackets need more?? it is 8mm plate at 180x250 wide... double pass seam welded.

i'll munt the chassis long before they move... standard brackets on the partol including the panhard, are all 3mm steel! or less!

the brackets are high in order to get the correct triangulation for the 4-link, for anti pitch and anti squat etc. i am looking for stable hill climb characteristics.

with the body lift i could afford to go above the rails, so tried to get the geometry as close as possible.

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
Mint welding and fabrication with the 4 link.
Do you do this for living?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Thanks mate.
No mate is just a hobby. Just brought a welder and got to it. Couple Web tutorials and lots of practice.
Love doing it.
Is a lincoln 180c welder if anyone's interested. Fantastic unit for diy and light fab.

·
Premium Member
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
I was going to ask about your background due to the fabrication you're doing. You have a hell of a talent for it.

Epic build indeed! Keep it coming.

Reactions: poomba2hd

·
Registered
nissan patrol
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Thanks guys.

I'm a non - practicing mechanical engineer
Havn't done and mechanical engineering some the day I left uni!!

The fab work is my outlet as I don't really get to do any engineering any work, and I'd rather build it than draw it any way.
I love doing it so happy to take my time and tick along.

·
Registered
nissan
347 Posts
Good ole lincoln ( not the dead president)

Yep , got a 180 mig Lincoln, myself a couple of years back , and so far its built 2 trailers from scratch, a swing out spare tire carrier for the trailer, and rebuilt a bullbar to take a pto winch, it still looks like brand new and will probably outlast me!

Great work on the gq , will be a beast when done , my financial plan in the next 12 months is to win lotto , so i will call you when your done to deliver it to me haha.

·
Registered
nissan
2,091 Posts
G'day mate, you're doing some nice work there.

Good to see another bloke doing some custom fab work.

Keep it up.

·
Previously known as twodiffs
1991 GQ Safari.
3,695 Posts
Noice and well done...some seriously nice work there, bet you can't wait until it's done and you turn the key for the first time!!!!

·
Registered
nissan patrol
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Thanks. That will definately be a bit of a gravy moment! !
It is a labor of love that I am sure some don't understand. .. including my wife but I want to be able to say this is my car and I built every bit of it.

·
The Prodigal Child Has Returned
nissan
7,299 Posts
looks awesome dude, well done. I have been looking at doing 4 link rear and 3 link front for my bus Just trying to find the time to do all the measurements so I can work it all out.

Keep it up

·
Registered
nissan patrol
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 · (Edited)
Thanks all. Frankly i was expecting a few haters "why you spending that on a GQ" etc. but feedback has been good! much appreciated and glad to have shared.

There is a bunch of stuff on 4-links around the net.. i used this one and the tools within a bit.

(Suspension) Designing a 4 link suspension - 4x4 Forum | 4x4 Mecca

My 4-link is probably a little above and beyond from a work perspective, as it sits high on the chassis, and requires the cross member to be lifted a bit so the arms don't fowl. Not hard considering i don't have a body on the car. would be difficult to achieve otherwise though.

I don't have the measurements with me (not with car until Friday) but can give some guidance later..

Just remember that any 4-link needs to be compromised from perfect geometry, especially on a patrol, with the transfer case etc, it is difficult to triangulate the lower arms as it should be. and not really going to give much benefit for anything under a 10" shock length.

Best bet is to start with the lower arms - they are exactly 300mm longer and mount in the same height on the chassis rail as existing. Remember that the ends are offset to allow for the slight angle (27mm offset from memory (could be wrong), but just use your existing arms and extrapolate on a work bench for the length)

Even if you don't go 4-link there are huge benefit to be had with long arm anyway. so a good way to start. you can use off the shelf parts for this, but are expensive IMO.

Mine cost $150 in CrMo incl powder coating. the bushes actually cost more than the arms.
I am happy to Fab them up for people, but i am not a ticketed welder and you run the risk.
Funnily enough if you go back through my pics and have a look at the workmanship on the standard patrol arms, i am pretty comfortable my work welding...

I'll get some 4-link specs on the weekend.

Regarding the front...people i find do extreme things to get the front working, but in my opinion, a set of superflex arms will max out a 12" travel shock.. and i don't know too many people with with bigger than a 12" shock, infact most comp trucks are running this as a max..
From a legal and spend perspective, i chose to go down that route rather than linking the diff differently, as with the patrol, that is quite an undertaking once an LS is in the engine bay.

the best approach is decide on your suspension setup, and then design the linkage assy to suit it. i have 12" travel shocks sitting at only +2" ride height. I restricted up-travel 1.25" to get the shock bodies in there, and then made the diffs articulate to suit. hence why ultimately all 4-links are slightly different.

·
Premium Member
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
No way, GQs may seem to live in the shadow of their glamorous big sisters, but everyone knows a GQ is as tough as 4wds get, and you've already nailed their only failing by fitting GU diffs...

21 - 40 of 171 Posts