Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mikes's thread on the 4 piston calipers has reminded me that I need to source parts for my front end. That kit looks awesome, but my budget is not going to extend to the cost unfortunately.

I have done a lot of searching and all I can find is that the TB42 EFI twin piston calipers will fit. Get new rotors and braided lines to suit and it should work ok.

There is plenty of discussion on the 4.8 brakes, but no mention that I can see of whether they will fit on a GQ or not.

Can the 4.8 calipers be adapted to fit the GQ?
Any other options?

Cheers,
Shayne

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Monaroman, I bet you have 31 inch wheels, maybe a bull bar, no storage draws, no big bot or caraval right? Your are right your brakes are fine... Big wheels and / or big loads and the brakes arent very good at all.

Shayne, how do you know that? I havent even got the bill for mine yet.

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For sure. Mine is ok at the moment provided you don't need to do an emergency stop, and then it is not great. But when it is loaded up it is pretty poor.

As for price Mike I have just made an assumption. Quality costs, and I am guessing it may be too much for me. I would like to be wrong about this, so hopefully the manufacturer will be able to release some prices soon before I end up buying other stuff.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I've just reco'd my standard single piston GQ front brakes. Rekitted calipers with new pistons, new discs and good quality pads. Parts cost less than $300. I did have to use a mate's press to get the old discs off though. I would describe them now as adequate. Not great by any means, but alot better than they were before!

I run 33s, and all loaded up with camper trailer (unbraked, and probably pretty borderline on the 750kg unbraked limit), camping gear and fridge it can now lock up the fronts. Before it couldn't do that even unloaded. With the age of these cars, most of them could probably benefit from a caliper overhaul...

If I knew of a bolt-on upgrade from a later model I probably would have gone for that rather than reco-ing the stock brakes though.

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Frustratingly, I have now seen two GQ's with brake swaps, but no info provided on either!!!!

One was in one of the last 4WD Action DVD's. It was a blue dual cab from Rockhampton, and you saw a quick pic of what looked like gold coloured calipers, twin piston at least. They mention a break upgrade has been done but no info provided.

The other was in the last 4WD ACtion mag. There is a comp Suzuki with GQ diffs, and it has Subaru Leonie calipers. No pics or other info.

Anybody know anything about these vehicles or brake swaps?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yes, I've done it to mine and the EFI twin piston calipers will fit and they do make a difference. You just need to make sure you get the bolts along with the calipers as the standard caliper bolts are too long. I think the DBA part number for the slotted rotors to match is 623, but that's from memory so check it first. Don't get the Bendix pads, they work OK but are very dusty.

There's a fair bit been posted on this so do a search on here, or maybe Outers, and I'm sure you'll find more info.

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
There is plenty of discussion on the 4.8 brakes, but no mention that I can see of whether they will fit on a GQ or not.

Can the 4.8 calipers be adapted to fit the GQ?
x2 I am very interested also. Who has done this? What bolts on and what needs to be modified?

Are the GU 4.2 calipers+discs an easier option to adapted for the GQ?

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
x2 I am very interested also. Who has done this? What bolts on and what needs to be modified?
From memory on the front I think you need GU knuckles for them to fit (which means a GU front diff too as the knuckles and cv's etc are larger), and 16" rims as well obviously.
Other things would be the master cylinder and booster.
Front disc's are 316mm and rears are 330mm. Also the depth of the hubs are greater than a GQ's

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts