Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey readers,

I have searched the forum but couldnt find an answer.

I have an 89 gq turbo diesel and am having starting problems. There is a lot of white smoke when turning over and i also noticed that the glow plug relay isnt clicking at all.

Is there any way to test the relay? I put a test light on the plugs coming out of the relay and one of the thick wires has power constantly.

Any help is much appriciated.

Thanks, Mitch.

·
Registered
nissan
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tested the relay in my brothers truck and it's working fine. Could it be the little green timer box down beside the kick panel? Apparently it has to be functioning for the glow plug relay to switch on.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
yeah mate,thats the glow timer,it measures coolent temp and adjust glow times.

have you checked fuses,there are the ones in the kick panel and next to the battery.

take the glow relay out and test it using a battery, put 12v into the relay where the thinner wires plug into it and it should click,if not its something else.

·
Registered
nissan
68 Posts
i have similar problem. How much 4 the new one? Did your car start fine cold then hard 2 start hot?

·
Registered
nissan
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dunno how much the box is yet. The shop just said take it and try it and fix them up next time im in there. Mine was oppisite to your problem, hard to start cold and starts fine warm.

·
Registered
nissan
68 Posts
ok so yours is the opposite starting problem. Maybe its the coolant temp sensor on mine. Checking that next

1 - 11 of 11 Posts