Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have done a heap of searching and have been unable to find the answer to my question...

I have a brand new set of HKT - PN135 glow plugs which were purchased for a 92 GQ TD42. They are an 11v plug.

I have a GU TD42T which i would like to use these in, but from what i can discern they require an HKT - PN138 plug. They are an 11v plug.

Can anyone tell me what the difference between the two plugs would be?
I am confused as some ebay listings will sell TD42 plugs that range from 1988 to 2006. Turbo & non turbo... whereas others will have seperate listings for GQ & GU plugs.

If anyone can shed some light on this matter, would be much appreciated.
-Boo

·
Registered
nissan
138 Posts
I don't have the answer for you but bought a set of Italian made glow plugs that were universal fit for the TD42 engine and found that the seat on the tip of the plug, behind the heating element that would seal on the block was different.

The plugs I removed seemed to have a machined taper, the new ones were square like it was not a specific seal face.

I ran them into the block and found they sat at a slightly different installed height and the first time I ran the engine I could see faint gas / oil stains on the threads protruding above the block which tells me they rely on a thread seal not a seat seal.

I've since done 20'000klms with great starting and no loss of compression so have left them as is.

So I wondered if the difference might be the seat in the head or the protrusion depth into the combustion chamber. Pictures would tell you a lot.

·
Registered
nissan
138 Posts
So I looked at the HKT product catalogue just now and both part numbers have the same electrical specification and thread tapping, but the heater element length, the electrical terminal thread length and mounting nut length varies between GQ and GU model plugs

GU parts are slightly longer .................we are only talking millimeters.

If you look at the product catalogue you can compare dimensions side by side for yourself. Forgetting what the chamber in the head looks like I'd not be concerned about running GQ plugs in GU but would at least wind the engine over by hand before firing it with GU plugs in a GQ, knock knock = bad bad.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts