Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
nissan/gq
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy Folks. Looking for advice on an intercooler for my TD42. Has anyone tested the Big-O 4x4 300 x 280 x 76 intercooler with 12" thermofan? How did it go on install. How much difference have you noticed?

·
Registered
Nissan
1,865 Posts
yeah i recon the cross country looks sexy i am still deciding which to go with.
also auto sport engineering (ASE) here in adealide now have a GQ front mount kit avalible for same sorta money

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
69 Posts

I put a cross country on mine last month with there air box kit too. Very happy with it, run's like a dream. But needs a boost compensating valve fitted.

·
Registered
nissan/gq
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah. I've been in contact with the Cross COuntry boys. 5 -7 weeks to delivery. Just keen to get one in I spose. They look like a better product with the PWR gear. Just wasn't sure how they compared to the Big-Os.

·
Registered
nissan/gq
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I put a cross country on mine last month with there air box kit too. Very happy with it, run's like a dream. But needs a boost compensating valve fitted.

How's the temperature compare since the install?

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
You failed to hide your rego number in the dyno plot photo.

·
Registered
nissan
511 Posts
Well having just fitted one, I would reckon you should have a look at a Laminova intercooler built by Matt McInnes and Awill on this site.

Depends a bit on your budget.

they slice most of the top off the intake manifold which allows the motor to breath heaps better. I fitted the manifold first and drove without the heat exchanger installed and it revved so much freer.( Caught myself doing 4000 rpms a couple of time, it got there before i realised :D, really)

Now with the fans and the heat exchanger plumbed up it simply awesome.

It may cost a little more but the benefits are double I reckon. As i have no intention of selling , I reckon it definitely worth it.

·
Registered
nissan
17 Posts
That cooler looks great! im interested in that air box, is there a link to some info on it? i checked there website and couldnt find it

·
Registered
317 Posts
Well having just fitted one, I would reckon you should have a look at a Laminova intercooler built by Matt McInnes and Awill on this site.

Depends a bit on your budget.

they slice most of the top off the intake manifold which allows the motor to breath heaps better. I fitted the manifold first and drove without the heat exchanger installed and it revved so much freer.( Caught myself doing 4000 rpms a couple of time, it got there before i realised :D, really)

Now with the fans and the heat exchanger plumbed up it simply awesome.

It may cost a little more but the benefits are double I reckon. As i have no intention of selling , I reckon it definitely worth it.
Good to here Tks

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
69 Posts
Engine temp have been down quite alot with the new cooler since the thermal fan runs all the time. Even on long hills doing over 110km/h never heats up past half way.
Not fussed if people see my rego, you can't get a persons details just from just rego numbers, just wanted to hide my address and contact numbers.
Its actually a MTQ airbox they source it from them. $1650 for cooler and airbox kit.

·
Registered
nissan
511 Posts
Well today was the first real test of the Laminova, I couldn't be more impressed.
On occasion I tow a large heavy tandem box trailer which is three feet taller than the gq. So head winds and inclines wreck havoc with egts and speed.
So on inclines that would have normally sent egts too high and speed drop had no effect, and if I wanted I could actually accelerate.

:cool:
Egts didn't get over 400 and engine temp was a constant 70 degrees, due probably in part to the new ac condenser I treated her to.

Next is a trip to the dyno.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
What is your budget first.... then go from there.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
685 Posts
looks great mate

·
Registered
131 Posts
i did my front mount cooler for about 750 including custom stainless all welded piping. 600x300x76 ebay cooler with 2.5 inch piping, no air con tho

·
Registered
317 Posts
Well today was the first real test of the Laminova, I couldn't be more impressed.
On occasion I tow a large heavy tandem box trailer which is three feet taller than the gq. So head winds and inclines wreck havoc with egts and speed.
So on inclines that would have normally sent egts too high and speed drop had no effect, and if I wanted I could actually accelerate.

:cool:
Egts didn't get over 400 and engine temp was a constant 70 degrees, due probably in part to the new ac condenser I treated her to.

Next is a trip to the dyno.
Dyno should see your fuel pump maxed out. More power will increase EGT's if you push hard but no intercooler can stop that. It's a question of how much you can reduce it and sustain that reduction.
As for your trailer it's a monster and a very hard test for any intercooler, but once you have dyno tuned to suit our intercooler you will forget it's even there.:D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts