Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1985 SD33T MK LWB Wagon
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
SO, I've found a leaf sprung GQ chassis extremely close to home with a complete set of hub to hub axles, in a 4.3 ratio, potentially for 400 bucks for the pair of axles if this guy accepts my offer. I've done a lot of reading and concluded that I should be able to make them fit the MK without too much difficulty, and it'll solve my axle issues (parts availability, better ratio, stronger CV's standard, wider track).

I'm super torn between buying these axles and just using the ones out of my ute, because they both have a 4.3 ratio, and the ute axles will be much easier to adapt, but the GQ ones will suit much better in the long run.

I'm not concerned by the offset transfercase into centre diff, many people run angles like that on their huge lifted GU's and GQ's with no issues, and from what @james008 has said in the past I believe that the rear axle will bolt up spring-to-spring no issues. The main hoop to jump for the rear is getting the tailshaft bolted on as the pinion flanges are apparently different sizes, but if I can secure the tailshafts from this bloke as well, the uni's should be the same size, and I should be able to press off my mq tailshaft flange from the uni and press on the gq one (the bit after the uni that bolts to the pinoon flange), making the tailshaft bolt on. Rear sorted.

The front may be a different beast, as the leaf mounts need to be cut off the diff and re-welded back on further inwards, which isn't a problem, and should be the main/only issue with the front apart from the same tailshaft issue as the rear, but I also found an old post by MK nut, possibly the only person to have recorded a GQ axle swap, where he said that the leaf mounts just needed the holes widened then they fitted, however the leaf hangs slightly off the edge of the hangar. I don't believe this should be an issue, but just want to make sure.
Steering is easy, especially if I can score the GQ drag link which might be wider than the MQ one because of the wider axle, and I can't think of anything else that should be an issue.
Thoughts?

MK Nut's thread about the front spring mounting:
(putting a gq diff in a MQ Is this good enough?)
MK Nut's pictures of the front springs hanging slightly off the spring perch:
Wood Door Gas Rectangle Concrete
Automotive tire Musical instrument Wood Gas Bumper

And please, if I'm just going crazy wanting new parts for it and would be better off sticking with my ute diff swap (for the 4.3's) let me know, I really want the wider track and stronger diff/cv's but if it's too much work I may as well just stick with what I've got.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
18,192 Posts
Could have saved you some big headaches, didn’t like the look of the spring only being half seated. Can’t imagine an engineer signing off on that. 😳

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
11,278 Posts
Yeah I only know of MK nut who put a GQ leaf front diff under an MK.
I don't remember the bit about the rear diff bolting up... but GQ fire Safaris used MK gearbox, transfer and rear diff, so its possible.

You also wouldn't have gained anything noticeable in track width, the GQ leaf front track is maybe 10mm different to MQ/MK, rear is the same. Coil GQs are the ones with wider track.
Fitting GU knuckles would give a little bit of track increase, but that means a whole new steering setup to go with it.

And yes, while GQ front end is a bit stronger, MQ stuff isn't made of glass. If you do end up breaking a few CVs, GQ CVs will fit MQ/MK axles, just have to use GQ locking hubs as well.

Reactions: Ethanissan

·
Registered
1985 SD33T MK LWB Wagon
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I only know of MK nut who put a GQ leaf front diff under an MK.
I don't remember the bit about the rear diff bolting up... but GQ fire Safaris used MK gearbox, transfer and rear diff, so its possible.

You also wouldn't have gained anything noticeable in track width, the GQ leaf front track is maybe 10mm different to MQ/MK, rear is the same. Coil GQs are the ones with wider track.
Fitting GU knuckles would give a little bit of track increase, but that means a whole new steering setup to go with it.

And yes, while GQ front end is a bit stronger, MQ stuff isn't made of glass. If you do end up breaking a few CVs, GQ CVs will fit MQ/MK axles, just have to use GQ locking hubs as well.
Yeah I might have misquoted you there, I just went back to find where you said it and found out that
1. It was actually MQ Mad that said it,
2. and he actually said "might"
MQ/MK rear diffs have off centred "pumpkins"
GQ have centred rear "pumpkins"
so swapping complete rear ends over wont work
the GQ ute leaf spring rear "might bolt up" (spring to spring) but the "pumpkin" is centred so wont work
would the diff centres be interchangeable ?????
why take the risk MQ/MK rear diffs are cheap as chips
here's the thread:
Sorry about that, should have gone back and confirmed before I posted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts