Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1988 GQ Patrol LWB standard height. I get a vibration in 2WD at about 95kph which goes away at about 110kph. I got my wheels rebalanced but it made no difference. Any ideas on how to diagnose?

·
Premium Member
nissan
5,279 Posts
You say in 2WD. Does that mean when doing the same speeds in 4H the vibration isn't there. I would have thought if it was a uni it would do it at that speed in both 2 and 4WD. Just a thought, I'm sure someone will correct me if that's not the case.

·
Registered
nissan
1,730 Posts
Check your radius arm bushes, chances are they are flogged out. Replacing them fixed mine.

·
Registered
Nissan
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You say in 2WD. Does that mean when doing the same speeds in 4H the vibration isn't there. I would have thought if it was a uni it would do it at that speed in both 2 and 4WD. Just a thought, I'm sure someone will correct me if that's not the case.
I dunno.. have not been in 4WD at that speed on a surface where I would notice vibration.

·
Registered
Nissan
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How about a wheel alignment. Can that cause vibration? I have never had a wheel alignment since I bought this new in 1988. I always figured unless you bend something or make some mod to alter the geometry, an alignment should not be required. Its fine in all respects except around the 100kph speed.

·
Premium Member
nissan
5,279 Posts
How about a wheel alignment. Can that cause vibration? I have never had a wheel alignment since I bought this new in 1988. I always figured unless you bend something or make some mod to alter the geometry, an alignment should not be required. Its fine in all respects except around the 100kph speed.
If it was wheel alignment you generally get some signs.
Have you noticed your tyres wearing unevenly. Eg, on the inside or outside more of the tyre.
Is the vehicle tracking more while driving. Eg steering where it wants to steer in relation to the camber on the road.
When driving in a straight line is your steering wheel in a central position.

·
Registered
Nissan
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If it was wheel alignment you generally get some signs.
Have you noticed your tyres wearing unevenly. Eg, on the inside or outside more of the tyre.
Is the vehicle tracking more while driving. Eg steering where it wants to steer in relation to the camber on the road.
When driving in a straight line is your steering wheel in a central position.
It seems to be OK. Tyres seem to wear even, and not aware of bad tracking. Steering wheel straight.

·
Registered
nissan
39 Posts
I had vibrations between 80-100kph that was related to gearbox. the vibration would respond to gas pedal, vibration would go away if I backed off. chased the vibration as suggested by other members through wheels, joints and diff. By ruling out the above only gearbox was left. after overhaul/recond. the gearbox vibration was gone. Hope this is of any help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had vibrations between 80-100kph that was related to gearbox. the vibration would respond to gas pedal, vibration would go away if I backed off. chased the vibration as suggested by other members through wheels, joints and diff. By ruling out the above only gearbox was left. after overhaul/recond. the gearbox vibration was gone. Hope this is of any help.
Hi I have a similar issue, had you done a complete gearbox overhauling or changed your gear mounting ? Can you please help with some more detailed info , thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts