Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
nissan GQ patrol
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks,

Having a bit of trouble with the drivers side manual locking hub on a 92 gq patrol. I am in need of some advice because I have just arrived in Darwin and I'm in a caravan park.

Today while engaged in the lock position and driving over corrugations it would slip and slowly move towards 'free'.
I discovered the problem because I heard a clunk got out to check and saw thàt it was further towards free than lock. After 10km I got out to check again and it had moved approx 1cm from lock position.

Has anyone had/solved this problem or can help me

Thanks

Richard

·
just a good guy.
2009 gu ute
9,526 Posts
were u in 4 wheel drive or 2. if on corrugations I would be free wheeling in 2wd. also check all nuts on hub are tight.

·
just a good guy.
2009 gu ute
9,526 Posts
try locking hubs and being in 2wd and go for a drive. just stay on black stuff and see if it still moves. if possible try some time in 2wd and locked on corrugations see if different. could just be a vibration thing.

·
Registered
nissan GQ patrol
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will check this over the next fee days,
I am concerned that it will cause the front hub to disengage whilst I am doing 80km/hr on a dirt road.
Any other thoughts??

·
Registered
124 Posts
There's not a lot of stuff to go wrong inside the free wheel. I would look at removing it and have a look, should only need an 8mm Allen key and maybe a light tap.
Inside there is the spring loaded collar that pushes the locking plate in, the twisty handle bit on the outside operates the thread on the collate and pushes it forward to the lock position and the spring allows the locking plate misalignment until the two lock mating plate line up.
There is a circlip type retainer on both side of the spring also.
It sounds worse than it is but if you pull it off you will be able to see the parts. If it has too much grease it could be getting a hydraulic lock type thing and pushing back on the thread.
I'm guessing at the cause but pull it off and have a look, they can be repaired if need be but not sure what the shops are like in Darwin.

·
GHMBC #3
nissan patrol gq lwb,3"lift.
3,788 Posts
maybe no grease.i had an issue similar-pulled hub apart,cleaned,regreased and not a problem since

·
Registered
nissan GQ patrol
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies,
I'll go and take it apart tomorrow and see how it looks never done it before so fingers crossed
Cheers rich

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,470 Posts
Not entirely uncommon mate, a couple of mates I race with in CAMS offroad have had same problem so now most of the fellas have drilled a hole 4mm diameter or so through the side into the centre part and just poke a split pin through it to make sure it doesn't move.

Use this as a last resort, and when the pin is out poke some grease into the holes to minimise dust and water getting in to it. If it's correctly assembled and greased and you still have the problem give this a go, I did it before a 3 month trip last year as about 7000km of it was on gravel and corrugations, when I knew I wouldn't see black top for a few hundred or more kms I poked a split pin through, gave it a slight tweak with long nose pliers so pin couldn't fall out and felt reassured hub couldn't unlock itself. Been well over a year now, everything works fine and split pins live in glove box. Cheap and easy peace of mind if you've had the problem before, if it's partially disengaged it's putting same torque through much less teeth area so much more likely to break hub.

If no split pins handy poke a 50mm bit of coat hanger wire through the hole and give it a nip with pliers.

:)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Thanks for all the replies,
I'll go and take it apart tomorrow and see how it looks never done it before so fingers crossed
Cheers rich
Pending your ability and access to tools and workshop type stuff pulling the free wheel hub for inspection is very straight forward. If it looks ok then I wouldn't strip the internals just out of curiosity.
If it looks dry or rusty or very full of grease then these are all signs of it not being right. If it looks clean and has some grease then this is a good thing. There are little dowels around the outside that guide the locking plate, make sure these look clean and lubed.

Maybe post a pic if your not sure and someone might be able to give some pointers.

·
Registered
nissan GQ patrol
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey folks,

So I ended stripping the whole hub down. I found that it was missing the spring and ball bearing that helps to keep the hub in the 'locked' position.

Anyway put it all back together and it still felt 'loosey goosey' like before.
Today I decided to buy some of the high performance avm hubs with the red centers and I have put that on one side so far and they seem great. Pretty easy to fit and I got them for $250.

Really hoping that's the end of it now because I want to so the Simmo on the way back to Vic.

Thanks for the help

Richard

·
Registered
407 Posts
$250 is a pretty good price for them... Unfortunately the AVM's aren't really known too well for reliability but the high performance are meant to be better. I'd be hanging onto the OE locking hubs as spares especially considering you're going through the simmo. (read - jealous as f&*k)

Cheers mate and have fun!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts