Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we've had the GQ (Big Red) for 4 1/2 years now, can't complain at all EXCEPT about the relative lack of interior space. Being based on the ol' MQ body, Big Red (despite being a looong wagon) has a definite lack of legroom everywhere but the 3rd row. I'm 5'11" & with the front seats right back that's just right for me, but leaves only child-sized leg-room in the 2nd row. Seriously, I can't fit in there & even my (very large) 12yo son has difficulty fitting, to the point that he & his 10yo brother did our recent Fraser Is. trip in the 3rd row as it has much more room back there.
While I'm very loath to part with Big Red, having spent a great deal of time getting her to where I want her (mod.-wise), as a matter of practicality we're having to seriously consider updating to a GU. This would replace Wifey's Grand Carnival as the Family Mover (4 kids), I'd take over her little Rio as a commuter to work & back & we'd replace Big Red with something similar to the Rio for Wifey's school/shops/training/ballet runs, preserving the big car for weekends & trips. We've checked over a couple of GU's & there's masses more width & legroom in rows 1 & 2, 3 is about the same & luggage space is the same as the GQ.
Question is: is it worth spending 20G on an '03/'04 GU (realistically, swapping our 3yo Grand Carni. for one) sheerly for more space for our ever-growing family? I'm yet to be convinced but Wifey is more interested. What do you think?

·
Registered
Nissan
338 Posts
Time to move away from 4x4's now. Your suited vehicles are like Honda Oddesys, Toyota Tarago's, and all those big family movers.

They're much more luxary and comphortable than our 4x4's.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Time to move away from 4x4's now. Your suited vehicles are like Honda Oddesys, Toyota Tarago's, and all those big family movers.

They're much more luxary and comphortable than our 4x4's.

Ummm, you're missing the point. We already HAVE a "big family mover", plus the GQ which doubles as the backup family mover. We're thinking of combining the 2, unless you have some rule against "large" families being four-wheel-drivers?:rolleyes:

PS: I hate Oddysey & Tarago, the Grand Carni. is far & away a better vehicle than either for it's purpose for the relative dollars. Oh & I've been a 4WD owner for 26 years now. I think I'll know when to "move away".

·
Registered
Nissan
338 Posts
Ummm, you're missing the point. We already HAVE a "big family mover", plus the GQ which doubles as the backup family mover. We're thinking of combining the 2, unless you hhave some rule against "large" families being four-wheel-drivers?:rolleyes:
Sorry didn't quite read that :p. HAHAHA no way man, remember I'm one of those 4WDers.

GU for sure. LSD rear and looks much cleaner than GQ's.

·
Registered
nissan gq
90 Posts
how can you possibly drive with the drivers seat right back as far as it can go???

im 6'2" and only have it about halfway back and my arms are out straight to reach the steering wheel, are you by any chance 17? and like to drive behind the 'b' pillar to offer some protection from the imminent drive by shootings that readily occur all around Australia?? lol

im sorry but this makes no sense to me at all, i have GQ and find it has quite good room, it actually has more room then my 1978 fairlane marquis .

im with B18C think ya better buy a tarago or perhaps a nice big old bus :D

p.s do agree though that there is more leg room in 3rd row, but still ample in 2nd row (not many cars have massive leg room in back seats)

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry didn't quite read that :p. HAHAHA no way man, remember I'm one of those 4WDers.

GU for sure. LSD rear and looks much cleaner than GQ's.
Ok, no worries, but the GQ has an LSD too & the way I read the posts the GQ (being lighter) is better off-road & the GU better & more comfortable on-road. Swings & roundabouts I suppose.

·
Registered
Nissan
338 Posts
Ok, no worries, but the GQ has an LSD too & the way I read the posts the GQ (being lighter) is better off-road & the GU better & more comfortable on-road. Swings & roundabouts I suppose.
Not all GQ has LSD's. If your main intention is for 4WDing then GQ is suited for you. Cheap pannels, modifications etc.

Good luck mate.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
how can you possibly drive with the drivers seat right back as far as it can go???

im 6'2" and only have it about halfway back and my arms are out straight to reach the steering wheel, are you by any chance 17? and like to drive behind the 'b' pillar to offer some protection from the imminent drive by shootings that readily occur all around Australia?? lol

im sorry but this makes no sense to me at all, i have GQ and find it has quite good room, it actually has more room then my 1978 fairlane marquis .

im with B18C think ya better buy a tarago or perhaps a nice big old bus :D

p.s do agree though that there is more leg room in 3rd row, but still ample in 2nd row (not many cars have massive leg room in back seats)
Sigh. No, I'm 47 going on 48, 4 kids & with the driver's seat right back it's exactly right for my driving position ( left leg straight on full clutch & arms nearly straight to the wheel). Been driving that way for exactly 30 years now, head in FRONT of the B pillar (shootings are in Sydney & Melbourne, not Canberra usually :roll:). If I sit in row 2 my legs are jammed against the driver's seat. I sat a 6'1" mate there yesterday & he seriously couldn't get his legs in so I think we're driving different cars. As I already said, we already have a magnificent people-mover, just want more room in the 4WD. Oh & if I sound a little opinionated about space & driving style, put it down to my job, I've only been driving vans & trucks professionally for 28 years now. ;)

·
Registered
368 Posts
with four kids, a GU may be big enough, but you'll always be lacking in the shoulder room in the middle seat, and i should know, i spent 15 years of my life (im only 23) squashed in the back of GQ and GU patrols between my brothers.Hate to say it,but a 100series landcruiser may be a more comfortable option room wise.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
with four kids, a GU may be big enough, but you'll always be lacking in the shoulder room in the middle seat, and i should know, i spent 15 years of my life (im only 23) squashed in the back of GQ and GU patrols between my brothers.Hate to say it,but a 100series landcruiser may be a more comfortable option room wise.

Thanks for that. Shoulder room isn't really the issue as we run our 3 rows with 2-2-2 people in them, either the Grand Carni. or the GQ. It's more a legroom problem. We sat in all 3 rows in a GU yesterday & the difference was really surprising.

·
Registered
nissan
65 Posts
The bloke I bought my GQ from was selling it because he had bought a 100 series as his family had outgrown the GQ.

I am 6'4" and I have my seat all the way back. I find it very cramped, especially for a large 4WD wagon. My last car was a 1999 sr5 Hilux and despite being a smaller 4WD the front seats seemed to have more room then the GQ. Perhaps there is a difference in models. Mine is a 1988 DX so that may have something to do with the lack of room.

·
Registered
nissan
1,194 Posts
hi esses,
the most ive had in my gu is 6 , i had me two mates and 3 girls , all tall stature , everyone had heaps of room even the poor soul behind me , im 6.2 and i can happily say that we all had enough room , my m and d had a gq , and they seem to have a bit less , but in all , who's toy will it be hers or his , if your happy with how your family is seated then make the swap :D, i think alot more people should by 4wd's and get the family wagons off the road lol :D cheers.

·
Registered
nissan
30 Posts
I feel for you quite a lot actually. I bought my GQ a couple of years ago so that I could physically fit all our 5 kids in the car if I had to on a 4WD trip (used to have a 5 seater). Our other car is a Grand Carnival too so I really know what you mean regarding the size, comfort and relative brilliance compared to the competition in terms of $$'s seating and luggage space.

Back to your question, then, I'm in exactly the same quandry. My wife wants to ditch the people mover and get a more upmarket one on a lease through work (like a Volvo C90... now THERE's a comfy car with all the bells and whistles) in case we need all 7 seats and I can keep the GQ for my offroading and camping.

No, the GQ isn't comfy, no, the wife never comes 4WDing with me either, the minimum number of stars she'll sleep under is 5 so you can see why we're heading down this path. Yes, I'd like to have a GU with all the bells and whistles I've got on this GQ for the same price tag... it ainm't gonna happen though.

So, are your kids always going to have to get in the back seat? Or are they, like mine, growing up to the point where shopping for a 7 seater isn't necessary since one, two or three of them could be in their own car(s) soon and not coming with you anyway. For the sake of you reducing your upfront costs now... why not tell your kids to suck it up for those couple of times in the year that they're crammed into the GQ and maybe just have some more regular breaks on the long trips.

I'm 6'2" and I remember squeezing in the back of the Magna with my sister all the time. Wasn't long before she moved on and it was only a year later that I could enjoy the front seat as well.

·
Registered
nissan gq
90 Posts
perhaps we are talking different models and they have different room, wasn't trying to be argumentative either so hope you didnt take me the wrong way :)
mine is a 1996 rx 2.8 turbo diesel lwb
oh and another thing i dont like sitting straight up like a board i find it very uncomfortable so my seat is tilted back slightly which would prob explain some of the difference too.

as an opinion i would prob update to the gu if given the chance as they do seem a little more comfortable and also just the fact that the GQ's are gettin a bit long in the tooth now

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the replies guys. Our oldest is 12yo (the monster Rugby 2nd-rower who's already bigger than his mother) so we've 5 years left before he drives anywhere on his own. Yes, our GQ usage atm is limited to the odd day-trip & a big yearly trip (the Carni will be doing next years holiday anyway as there's no 4wheelin' involved) so it's not like it's a family daily-driver, that's what the Rio is for or the Carni when it's all 6 of us.

On one level I don't want to part with Big Red as she's just about where I want her as a 4WD & is very reassuring driving to work at 5am every morning through 'roo country. On the other hand, by Xmas she'll need 4 new tyres, probably a windscreen & I need to do something about the low-back 3rd-row bench seat. The lack of head-restraints is a real worry so I'm looking into transplanting a later-model GQ seat, or at least the seat-back/head-rests as the retaining catch is completely different. The front seats also need either replacing or reconditioning as after an hour or so they've gotten pretty uncomfortable. Par for the course for 20yo seats, I suppose. Even just putting 4 tyres on would tip me into keeping her ($800-00 - $1000-00 is a pretty big incentive :)) so we need to make a decision soon.

On another level, after sitting in a GU the space difference is quite amazing. Even with the driver's seat right back there was plenty of room even for me in the 2nd-row & the 3rd row seats are much more comfortable & safer being effectively 2 high-back buckets. An '03/'04 GU is a pretty nice piece of gear too, really only losing out to the Grand Carni on 3rd-row seat room & luggage space behind the 3rd row.

We'll keep you posted!:)

·
Registered
nissan
30 Posts
Two more thoughts:

1) The seats can be upgraded for not much money, thanks to the huge number of parts available - I've fitted a WRX seat in mine for a few hundred and it's substantially more supportive. The rears can easily be done too. Compare those changes to the cost of going up to the GU and you'd be $1000's in front with the GQ. The tyres shouldn't be a factor since any car will need new tyres at some point anyway. The windscreen... check your insurance... mine provides me with a new windscreen for free every year. No need to pay any excess, just get it done.

2) I get it when you're comparing the comfort of the GU to the GQ. Sounds to me like you're sold on the GU. If it were me and I had the dosh to change over to a GU that had everything I wanted I'd go for it if only to keep the wife happier. Happy wife = happy life. If she's sold on the GU too then there's not much to discuss.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Two more thoughts:

1) The seats can be upgraded for not much money, thanks to the huge number of parts available - I've fitted a WRX seat in mine for a few hundred and it's substantially more supportive. The rears can easily be done too. Compare those changes to the cost of going up to the GU and you'd be $1000's in front with the GQ. The tyres shouldn't be a factor since any car will need new tyres at some point anyway. The windscreen... check your insurance... mine provides me with a new windscreen for free every year. No need to pay any excess, just get it done.

2) I get it when you're comparing the comfort of the GU to the GQ. Sounds to me like you're sold on the GU. If it were me and I had the dosh to change over to a GU that had everything I wanted I'd go for it if only to keep the wife happier. Happy wife = happy life. If she's sold on the GU too then there's not much to discuss.
Thanks for the thought on the windscreen - hadn't thought of that. Damn NRMA Gold Membership should be good for something!:D
I'm actually much keener on keeping the GQ, mainly because I can tinker & modify under the bonnet to my hearts content, add gauges, change the stereo, hot it up etc etc. There's also the added attraction that if I bend it off road, it's no biggie - 20yo $7000-00 vehicle vs $20 000-00 + much newer one IYKWIM? I'm just doing the responsible parent thing with the GU re more comfort, safety, reliability etc etc:rolleyes:

·
Registered
nissan patrol
842 Posts
also i must be driving a diffrent gq lol. because theres plenty of room in the back of mine for the passangers.but ive also got pajero front seats as the drivers and passangers seats, dont ask why they were in it when i bought it! iam also 6.1'' and have the seat most but not ALL of the way back. and also i have the chair tilted back slightly. and cant say much about the 3rd row of seats as i dont have them.

also as most other people have said if your happy with the gq the way it is keep it. but if u want to upgrade it for the kids on long trips to a gu because it has more room for them do it they will appreciate it alot trust me!! and dont buy a 100 series cruiser i spent most of my days in the 3rd row when i was around 12-15 and i can tell u there wasnt much room back there very uncomfortable aswell! iam only 20 now aswell.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts