Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys just a quick thread to ask a few questions about setting up a gq tb42.

I'm looking to buy tb42 in the near future, preferably Duel fuel to keep general day to day and highway costs down. My questions is, is it possible to run a long range tank and sub petrol tank and gas setup all at the same time or does the underside of a gq not accommodate this many tanks?

cheers any info would be appreciated

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GU IV
18,565 Posts
I doubt you’d get that under the car.

I've seen a couple of GQs with gas tanks across the cargo area behind second row seats, that would let you have about 215 litres of petrol but who wants to lose all that space?

·
Registered
963 Posts
Yes its possible, but not under the car, i have a close friend that has a GQ EFI Turbo with pretty much that exact setup.

Long Range tank replaces the standard, long range belly tank, and a gas tank behind the cargo barrier. Doesn't loose too much space with the drawer system, and works well.

·
Registered
nissan
1,836 Posts
Sold mine now but when I had gas fitted to it around 11yrs ago it had a 90ltr gas 75ltr petrol underneath with an option which I didn't get for another petrol tank still underneath I think it ran length ways more towards the front not sure of the exact size 60 or 70lts I think.
Also if you get one already done that's ok but if you decide to go to the expense of getting it put on depending on the price of gas in your area it may not be really worth it something to look at. Make sure you keep it tuned up correctly to get the best econ out of it they are prone to backfiring which can damage a plastic air filter housing if they get out of tune.

·
Registered
Nissan
34 Posts
Just sold my gq I had it set up with twin gas 100l underneath and a 70 l behind the rear seat, and a 70 belly petrol tank

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello. I don't have a patrol yet, but I am now gathering all info about them. I'm looking for a patrol with 4.2 L TD42 I6 (diesel).
The dream is to find a way to find a way to make it run under 10L to 100km (24mpg). What is the closest I can get?
Or would it be better to choose petrol + lpg combo.

·
Registered
nissan patrol mk
3,306 Posts
Hello. I don't have a patrol yet, but I am now gathering all info about them. I'm looking for a patrol with 4.2 L TD42 I6 (diesel).
The dream is to find a way to find a way to make it run under 10L to 100km (24mpg). What is the closest I can get?
Or would it be better to choose petrol + lpg combo.
The TB-range, are all known to use A LOT of petrol, 18+L/100Km.

It has been achieved, turbo + water injection would be my choice to get as close to that goal as possible. Check out OldMav's build thread, he is the only person I know of, that has managed a sub-10L/100Km fuel economy.

From my understanding, which isn't personal, the diesel gas injection hasn't really been proven to be giving all that much back, in terms of performance/economy, in a TD42.

·
Registered
61 Posts
To be honest I wouldn’t bother with gas if you want economy buy a diesel if you want power buy a petrol it really doesn’t get any more simple than that. Gas is just going to cause unnecessary wear and tear on your otherwise beast of a petrol engine and take away the grunt. If you’re looking for under 10L per 100km go buy a Prado and stop wasting your time with patrols. Sorry to be blunt but that’s dreeeaaming at its finest.

·
Registered
61 Posts
And also to the OP you really need to think about the extra weight all those tanks will have and then the danger of having that amount of gas in the back of your car in an accident, diesel is much safer and will get you so much further on a smaller tank than gas will. Gas isn’t exactly cheap anymore either and is only getting more expensive.

·
Registered
Nissan
75 Posts
To be honest I wouldn’t bother with gas if you want economy buy a diesel if you want power buy a petrol it really doesn’t get any more simple than that. Gas is just going to cause unnecessary wear and tear on your otherwise beast of a petrol engine and take away the grunt. If you’re looking for under 10L per 100km go buy a Prado and stop wasting your time with patrols. Sorry to be blunt but that’s dreeeaaming at its finest.

I'm not sure where you're getting your intel. And LPG TB engines never wear out.

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think if you worked out the extra gas used compared to the other fuels you'd find it's not as great as it seems

·
Registered
Nissan
75 Posts
I think if you worked out the extra gas used compared to the other fuels you'd find it's not as great as it seems

On current prices, LPG costs me 17 cents/km, petrol 27 cents/km.

I've done over 750,000km running LPG 99% of the time, over two GQ's. Maybe I'm just lucky.

·
Registered
61 Posts
the economy point was compared to diesel and then not having to carry so much gas aswell but yeah a lot of people love gas i'd just buy a diesel if i was after economy or suck the petrol prices up to have easier power especially the more you want to modify the engine and more reliably with less cost

·
Registered
2 Posts
I searched through 120 Prado as well, so far for my budgeting more suitable mpg hero with RWD could Be BMW E46 wagon with lift kit. That could give me +- 7l/100km (combined). Other alternative was Mitsubishi Pajero, but it's the same story, SUV or crossovers will definitely be a high fuel consumption car.

But I still have Prado in my heart(and a poster on my wall). Maybe someday....

·
Registered
61 Posts
I searched through 120 Prado as well, so far for my budgeting more suitable mpg hero with RWD could Be BMW E46 wagon with lift kit. That could give me +- 7l/100km (combined). Other alternative was Mitsubishi Pajero, but it's the same story, SUV or crossovers will definitely be a high fuel consumption car.

But I still have Prado in my heart(and a poster on my wall). Maybe someday....

Haha yeah patrols are big heavy beasts and amazing in the bush on the beach or climbing mountains and any time you try and add economy you’re going to take power and then what’s the point of having a patrol in The first place because it’ll struggle to do the things it’s renowned for doing with ease

1 - 20 of 20 Posts