Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
GQ 1992 TD42 NA lwb
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again all second day as a member of this brilliant forum.
A couple of months ago i looked on here to see what people if any thought about converting the stock sealed beams to led headlights / semi sealed and what has worked for them.
After searching around i came out blank...
So today i thought id share my personal opinion that might one day help a fellow GQr decide on the best headlight for there patrol.
1. we are all familiar with the stock sealed beam which is a 7inch round glass on the front silver paint (reflector) on the back not very good at all really that is what i started with. Its as bright as a candle haha.
2. My second lights i tried were a semi sealed beam that you are able to change the globe on to your liking. I had a 5000k 75w low beam and 100w high beam.
Huge improvement from stock.
Downsides are bieng not sealed i very quickly learned that watercrossings will leave you without lights. Also not very good on dusty roads as they got very dirty on the inside of the lense.
3. I then picked up some sealed beam led lights off gumtree (will post pics at the end). These can be brought of ebay for a relatively low cost which unfortunately says alot about them.
Even tho the light was alot brighter then the original candle light from nissan i was still left disappointed as the light is not very focused and just spread all over the place. And within 4 weeks after installation some of the leds burnt out..
4. NOW brings me to my final choice of headlight swapover, i started looking again read some reviews online couldnt find any here tho. watched ytube (as you do) and came across the stedi range of lights. One in particular caught my eye. The STEDI IRIS 7INCH.
OK my jaw dropped when i saw the price but i had to have them!
The day came where i was going to be ripping off my front grill to fit a new trans cooler on the old girl, ok so to kill two birds with one stone i made a couple of calls to see where i could get them in perth. All sold out they were closest place i could get them was 40mins away!
Hoped in the troll and took a cruise dow to the stockists.
Price per light was $189. Also come with 2year manufacturer warranty.
$378 for a pair of lights is it worth it your wondering??.
Here is my opinion, ABSOLUTELY! this has been the best mod i have given the old girl.
Out of the box lights feel solid and have a good weight compared to the ebay brands.
Also very attractive looking lights. Also just plug and play so very easy to install and with lots of info on the stedi website to help you install and adjust your new lights was very helpfull too.
The outer led DRLS (halo) look awesome.
Night turns into day with the flick of a switch. Watercrossings no worries fully sealed.
Low beam excellent the way the light focuses on where you need it is unbelievable.
High beam is amazing to be honest you almost dont need spotties there that bright.
They have been on the patrol for 2 months now and i couldn't be happier with what i got very very very good lights if you do alot of bush driving like myself you will love these.
Ok so the only thing that felt really cheap on these lights was the H4 plug which connects to your car wiring. The ebay lights had an insulated h4 plug wires where as these lights just had the plug with 3 wires just coming into it, could be better so i wrapped the wires with electric tape to give them more strength and stop them drying out under the patrol bonnet.
Other than that so far im very very impressed with these lights im keen to see how long they last. And if you have read all of this post i hope i have helped you to decide on the suitable headlight for you.

·
Registered
1989 GQ TD42 wagon
2,853 Posts
Have you upgraded the headlight wiring loom? GQs have no relays from the factory (all current passes through the stalk, which can cause problems), and the wires are marginal in size (like all factory wiring).

·
Premium Member
TD42 GQ
1,235 Posts
True, I put a relay and heavy cables in for the headlights maybe 20 years ago after observing a significant voltage drop through the factory loom.
Those LED headlights may not be affected by the voltage drop from standard cabling - they use significantly less current and most likely have a regulated switchmode LED driver built in.
Very tempted to get those Stedi headlights for my GQ. Presently have Cibie H4's which are ok but prone to dust and water as the OP mentions, even with the boots properly installed the reflectors lose efficiency over the years.
Hey @GQ bush man, is the light from those Stedi's pure white, or is there a bit of coloured fringing around the edges of the beam?

·
Registered
GQ 1992 TD42 NA lwb
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you upgraded the headlight wiring loom? GQs have no relays from the factory (all current passes through the stalk, which can cause problems), and the wires are marginal in size (like all factory wiring).
Hi again mate no i have not as i havent had a problem yet to be honest if the wiring loom is ok to run halogen at 100w like my previous sealed beam then i figured it will be ok with the leds.

·
Registered
GQ 1992 TD42 NA lwb
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
True, I put a relay and heavy cables in for the headlights maybe 20 years ago after observing a significant voltage drop through the factory loom.
Those LED headlights may not be affected by the voltage drop from standard cabling - they use significantly less current and most likely have a regulated switchmode LED driver built in.
Very tempted to get those Stedi headlights for my GQ. Presently have Cibie H4's which are ok but prone to dust and water as the OP mentions, even with the boots properly installed the reflectors lose efficiency over the years.
Hey @GQ bush man, is the light from those Stedi's pure white, or is there a bit of coloured fringing around the edges of the beam?
Gday RickGQ, the light is not as white as you think and i like that.
Best way to describe it is low beam looks like the headlights on some European cars bluey tinge to them high beam is like 4500k i would say. Its really great for driving especially when wet because you dont get alot of reflection off the road. Ill take a couple of pics maybe lil vids tonight stay tuned.

·
Premium Member
TD42 GQ
1,235 Posts
Stedi now have three 7" LED headlights in their range.
The 'Homage' model is new. Looks more like a classic sealed beam than the other models. The text on the Stedi site is just a copy of the Iris blurb, so Stedi have a bit of work to do there.
With three products to select from, all the same price, I wonder which is most suitable for a GQ in terms of beam pattern?
From an appearance point of view, I like the Carbon Black and the Homage.

·
Registered
GQ 1992 TD42 NA lwb
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The 'Homage' model is new. Looks more like a classic sealed beam than the other models. The text on the Stedi site is just a copy of the Iris blurb, so Stedi have a bit of work to do there.
With three products to select from, all the same price, I wonder which is most suitable for a GQ in terms of beam pattern?
Gday RickGQ that was the mission i had to deal with. My thoughts behind choosing the IRIS model was really about brightness, the carbon and homage both have a black internal where as the iris is chrome. I like the look of chrome more plus that extra brightness you will get. Also iris has full halo compared to half halo of the carbon. So yeah for me was just that little bit more brightness i was sold on.
PS pics are coming to show the patern and colour of light im just waiting to be out somewhere on a track where you will be able to see how brilliant they really are.

·
Registered
GQ 1992 TD42 NA lwb
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also good to see they insulated the wires haha

·
Registered
GQ 1992 TD42 NA lwb
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also, the back shell is rounded and may be an easier fit in many headlight frames.
Now that you mention that point. Reminded me of an issue i had when installing.
Like i said on my first post i had my grill off and headlight frames out. The light has 3 locating lugs in the back that dont quiet match or sit in the frame properly.
Easy fix just a hacksaw blade and a pair of pliers on the frame in one point only i found was enough until you feel the light click in and sit nicely.

·
Registered
Nissan Safari Y60 LWB HiTop
42 Posts
Also, the back shell is rounded and may be an easier fit in many headlight frames.
@GQ bush man
How did you hook up the DRLights? is there a hot ignition wire in the engine bay to splice into? or did you run a wire from the interior through the bulkhead?
have got the 7"carbon version in the mail. hope to install in the weekend. Cheers

·
Registered
GQ 1992 TD42 NA lwb
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@GQ bush man
How did you hook up the DRLights? is there a hot ignition wire in the engine bay to splice into? or did you run a wire from the interior through the bulkhead?
have got the 7"carbon version in the mail. hope to install in the weekend. Cheers
Gday mate i just piggybacked off the existing parker lights. So once i put the parkers on the drl comes on too. Some people run the drl from the ignition but i cbf with it to be honest.

·
Registered
GQ 1992 TD42 NA lwb
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi again all second day as a member of this brilliant forum.
A couple of months ago i looked on here to see what people if any thought about converting the stock sealed beams to led headlights / semi sealed and what has worked for them.
After searching around i came out blank...
So today i thought id share my personal opinion that might one day help a fellow GQr decide on the best headlight for there patrol.
1. we are all familiar with the stock sealed beam which is a 7inch round glass on the front silver paint (reflector) on the back not very good at all really that is what i started with. Its as bright as a candle haha.
2. My second lights i tried were a semi sealed beam that you are able to change the globe on to your liking. I had a 5000k 75w low beam and 100w high beam.
Huge improvement from stock.
Downsides are bieng not sealed i very quickly learned that watercrossings will leave you without lights. Also not very good on dusty roads as they got very dirty on the inside of the lense.
3. I then picked up some sealed beam led lights off gumtree (will post pics at the end). These can be brought of ebay for a relatively low cost which unfortunately says alot about them.
Even tho the light was alot brighter then the original candle light from nissan i was still left disappointed as the light is not very focused and just spread all over the place. And within 4 weeks after installation some of the leds burnt out..
4. NOW brings me to my final choice of headlight swapover, i started looking again read some reviews online couldnt find any here tho. watched ytube (as you do) and came across the stedi range of lights. One in particular caught my eye. The STEDI IRIS 7INCH.
OK my jaw dropped when i saw the price but i had to have them!
The day came where i was going to be ripping off my front grill to fit a new trans cooler on the old girl, ok so to kill two birds with one stone i made a couple of calls to see where i could get them in perth. All sold out they were closest place i could get them was 40mins away!
Hoped in the troll and took a cruise dow to the stockists.
Price per light was $189. Also come with 2year manufacturer warranty.
$378 for a pair of lights is it worth it your wondering??.
Here is my opinion, ABSOLUTELY! this has been the best mod i have given the old girl.
Out of the box lights feel solid and have a good weight compared to the ebay brands.
Also very attractive looking lights. Also just plug and play so very easy to install and with lots of info on the stedi website to help you install and adjust your new lights was very helpfull too.
The outer led DRLS (halo) look awesome.
Night turns into day with the flick of a switch. Watercrossings no worries fully sealed.
Low beam excellent the way the light focuses on where you need it is unbelievable.
High beam is amazing to be honest you almost dont need spotties there that bright.
They have been on the patrol for 2 months now and i couldn't be happier with what i got very very very good lights if you do alot of bush driving like myself you will love these.
Ok so the only thing that felt really cheap on these lights was the H4 plug which connects to your car wiring. The ebay lights had an insulated h4 plug wires where as these lights just had the plug with 3 wires just coming into it, could be better so i wrapped the wires with electric tape to give them more strength and stop them drying out under the patrol bonnet.
Other than that so far im very very impressed with these lights im keen to see how long they last. And if you have read all of this post i hope i have helped you to decide on the suitable headlight for you. View attachment 531690 View attachment 531691 View attachment 531692 View attachment 531693 View attachment 531694 View attachment 531695 View attachment 531696
Hi all just thought ill follow up by adding the pics of the lights as promised incase anyone is interested in making the investment. 1st pic low beam. 2nd high.
20210523_224755.jpg
20210523_224810.jpg

·
Premium Member
TD42 GQ
1,235 Posts
Thanks!
Nice wide spread on the low beam. A little bit of a rainbow effect at the edges. The left-biased beam pattern is evident, which is good, looks like an ADR compliant pattern that won't dazzle oncoming traffic.
High beam is great for the couple of amps it draws. Lacks a bit of spread, I'd be inclined to run both high and low beam at once, given the low current requirements, just as long as the LEDs are rated for simultaneous operation.

·
Registered
GQ 1992 TD42 NA lwb
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks!
Nice wide spread on the low beam. A little bit of a rainbow effect at the edges. The left-biased beam pattern is evident, which is good, looks like an ADR compliant pattern that won't dazzle oncoming traffic.
High beam is great for the couple of amps it draws. Lacks a bit of spread, I'd be inclined to run both high and low beam at once, given the low current requirements, just as long as the LEDs are rated for simultaneous operation.
Yeah im not too sure about that mate hey, alway believe if it was ment to be the manufacturer would have made it that way. Massive improvement tho. Id like to put a video up but cant figure out how to..

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi all,
Sharing some of my pics of the Stedi Carbon headlights fitted, hopefully of some use for someone. (could not find any IRIS lights in NZ)
For any kiwi's here, the lights have been approved by local WOF. Apparently they are looking for the cert. letters on the headlight, engraved in the glass. E9 in this case.
And DRL need to be off when normal beam is on. They were not fussed with high beam and DRL.
There is a hot wire when IGN is on at the windscreen wiper motor. Found this info elsewhere on the forum. so I wired up trough relay.
#30 IGN
#85 Ground
#87A DRL
#86 Headlight Beam

·
Registered
GQ 1992 TD42 NA lwb
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi all,
Sharing some of my pics of the Stedi Carbon headlights fitted, hopefully of some use for someone. (could not find any IRIS lights in NZ)
For any kiwi's here, the lights have been approved by local WOF. Apparently they are looking for the cert. letters on the headlight, engraved in the glass. E9 in this case.
And DRL need to be off when normal beam is on. They were not fussed with high beam and DRL.
There is a hot wire when IGN is on at the windscreen wiper motor. Found this info elsewhere on the forum. so I wired up trough relay.
#30 IGN
#85 Ground
#87A DRL
#86 Headlight Beam
View attachment 532457 View attachment 532458 View attachment 532459 View attachment 532460 View attachment 532461
How you finding your new lights mate?

·
Registered
42 Posts
How you finding your new lights mate?
@GQ bush man Have not driven it at night yet. will do this week. Was a bloody mission swapping these lights. the screws holding the headlight were all rusted up. Had to take the whole front of car off and grind the wee bastards out. And off course all the plastic clips holding the grill snapped off. got some replacement grommets from SCA. all nice and tight again and less rattling :cool: Just hope the LED's last, they are pretty expensive compared to other lights out there.

·
Registered
GQ 1992 TD42 NA lwb
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@GQ bush man Have not driven it at night yet. will do this week. Was a bloody mission swapping these lights. the screws holding the headlight were all rusted up. Had to take the whole front of car off and grind the wee bastards out. And off course all the plastic clips holding the grill snapped off. got some replacement grommets from SCA. all nice and tight again and less rattling :cool: Just hope the LED's last, they are pretty expensive compared to other lights out there.
So far like ive posted before im very happy with them. Im sure you will be too😉 in regards to lasting you always have the 2 year warranty that comes with them but im hopeful that they will last years to come. Ive already had them fully submerged so no worries there lol

·
Registered
GQ 1992 TD42 NA lwb
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Did you by any chance wrap those wires that come without any inulation on them.
Like mentioned before i found that quiet crappy for such an expensive product. I wrapped them up with electrical tape..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts