Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my fuel tank is leaking and the leak is coming from the sender unit in my GQ patrol.
Nissan have told me there are 4 different fuel sender units for this car.

The tank I was told was from a GQ patrol ute.

I need to know does anyone know if there is a difference with the tanks and senders and if so how can I find out what sender I need. the sender I have in the tank right now leaks and has a 2-3mm gap around the sealing rim of the tank.

I have tried a new o ring and hasn't solved the problem

thanks for the help

·
Registered
506 Posts
Its not hard to pull the sender out as you no doubt know.

Drive to the dealer with the screwdrivers needed and remove the sender and put it on the counter and say i want one of these.

That way you know what your getting.
If it has to be ordered in, so be it .Just replace the sender and drive away and wait for the new one to arrive.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats not the problem, the sender in the car right now is un known, no point going to nissan and ordering the same part seeing as its leaking and is proberbly the wrong sender anyway

·
Registered
nissan
13 Posts
Hi Marti
Another solution could be to make a new gasket to go between the tank and the sender, go to Repco or similar and get some Nebar cork gasket material and cut it to suit-probably 3mm or 1/8" is what you need. It is a very easy material to work with but is a little fragile so you will need to make sure you cut it with very sharp scissors or knife. My preference when making gaskets like this is to mark it out and cut the small holes for the bolts first, check them and trim up if necessary then cut the gasket shape itself, once the gasket is cut it doesnt leave a lot of material between the edges and the holes! You can use a sealant like Hylomar or other fuel resistant sealant on the faces but usually the pressure of the screws is enough.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Also if the incorrect sender has been used in the tank it could be causing the height difference.

I just swapped the senders in a belly tank. old tank was a 55L - carby sender, the new tank was a 75l off a EFI. The 2 carby senders I had (1 off a main tank) where 8 cm longer. - I endered up shotening one of the senders, and moded the gauge sender.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Take a little off only, if you shorten it too much - it will result in less fuel you can pull it of the tank

·
Registered
nissan patrol
425 Posts
I am of the same quandary as I fill the sub tank and only manage to squeeze 40 litres when the engine starts starving for fuel. I measured the outer of the tank and came to the capacity of 85 litres...not the 40 litres I use before I come to a rolling stop. I tried to squeeze u der the car and used a mirror and it has a 2 pin plug, the model I have has a three pin so the previous owner has used a dodgy up to get the pump and sender reading ok, seems the length is short and not drawing from the bottom of the tank.

Now I have to work out how to get the blasted thing off and fix it.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
im going to go get a new seal for the tank, trying to try a slightly thicker one and see how i go

1 - 9 of 9 Posts