Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week having some fun in the mud the cap from the power steering pump decide to come off. As a result the system filled up with muddy water.
I didnt notice until the next day when i lost my power steering on the way to work. i drained the fluid and topped it back up but still had no power steering.
So im assuming the pump as shat it's self. Is there any ways i can confirm that its the pump needs replacing? whats the likely hood of the being steering box damaged as well?

also it doesn't make any whining/grinding noises when steering, it's just really tough to steer. Although the pulley at the front squeals as it spins.

·
Registered
nissan
11,153 Posts
first thing id say is stop the pulley squeaking. as this could be stopping the pump from spinning.
second thing is with the vehicle running have the filter out of the resivour and have a look inside. your looking for the fluid being agitated by the pump. if its pumping right there should be what looks like a pressure stream running thru the fluid somewhere in the direction the return enters the thing.
id also assume that if a box went it would still work but just pump out fluid like its going out of fashion. so id say the pump has gone. but id be replacing or flushing really well the box as well as this will be full of gunk.

·
Registered
nissan
1,339 Posts
Grab yourself a gregorys/haynes and take it apart.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
69 Posts
I had the same problem a while a go. Turning the wheel while standing still was a bitch and even hard while driving.

It was like this for about two months and I just dealt with it until the pump seazed and burnt the belt. Had to cut it off and drive the heavy thing home with no power steering at all.

You can get a second hand pump for about 140 $$ so easier to go get one and be done with it. Will take you about a hour to change it over, very simple job.

Oh and my pump died from the same thing, the last bloke that owned my truck never had a proper cap on the tank and it had muddy crap all through it, replacing the fluid and flushing didn't help at all.

When u put the new pump on flush your system first though, jack both wheels up and turn the wheels side to side while the lines are dissconnected and get the old fluid out, then hook up fill it with new fluid and flush Atleast 1 ltr of good oil through it with the tank cap off so it can pump out while circulating.

Easy as but messy as all buggery

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
wouldn;t the oil float on the water?
how do you know the box hasnt still got water in?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
69 Posts
It was more so mud so couldn't really tell.

Just like if you get water I'm your diff oil, it just goes like a brown sludge Colour.

Water in the box??

·
Registered
nissan
125 Posts
hey dozer i brought the silver and blue gq off you, it started being hard to steer and **** to and the cap fell off so yeah new pump soon i rekon

·
Registered
nissan patrol
405 Posts
i had same problem, pump seized, need to replace pump, if you cant find gq pump get a r31 pump and replace internals, cost me $20 for pump and did job meself, easy as. i also put an old fuel filter on return line to collect all the crap, worked well for week then filter exploded lol, all good as new now with new pump, mine was also very hard to turn when parking etc, they do wear out, common prob on GQs, i got another gq pump and was also worn, r31 is best option

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ
8,025 Posts
get a r31 pump and replace internals, cost me $20 for pump and did job meself, easy as.
what internals do you have to replace?

whats required to swap to the r31, I wouldn't have thought that it was a straight swap anyway??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts