Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

GQ PTO install questions?

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  MudHog 
#1 ·
Hi this is probably a stupid question but is there any thing I need to know before installing a pto. All seams very straight forward but thought I would ask anyway. Is there anything to adjust or setup. Cant find anything in the workshop manuel. Whats the bolt and the hex screw for? by the lever on the pto unit. And do I just top up gearbox oil to fill pto unit or is that what the bolts for? Sorry for the novice questions. Cheers Simon

#4 ·
First of all the blank plate that you remove from the gearbox AND THE FLANGE of the PTO unit are 2 different thicknesses. You will need to use bolts that are 5mm shorter or like I did...cut them down by 5mm.

The closest shear pin to the gearbox.....drill it out to at least a couple of millimetres bigger and fit a HT capscrew, MAKE SURE that the bolt is not too long that it hits the body when your pto shaft is spinning. The benefit of doing this is that if you do shear a pin under winching load then it will be the outer pin closest to the winch that lets go.
If you're belly deep in mud and crap then you will appreciate it trust me.

If you have the winch out then drain the old oil as it'll likely be the original stuff, give it some new oil.

Apart from that you should find that all the holes for bolts etc are exactly where you need them as they were set up that way x factory. I've put 2 pto winches on my GQ's now so fire away if you need more info mate.

#6 ·
Nah gasket goo will be finea s long as it is suitable for use with oils etc.
As far as your first Q goes drain the oil from ya gearbox and just refill afterwards.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.