Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

GQ RB30 Patrol engine problem

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  burden2 
#1 ·
Hi folks
Have finally got my '90 GQ RB30 on the road and am loving having it going and legal but am having a frustrating problem. When it runs its is pretty good, I can drive into town, drive around the shops but when I get home and turn into the drive it chokes and dies. It will start and will run if I feather the throttle, almost as if it is only running on the fuel being delivered by the accelerator pump. Definitely sounds rough and plenty of banging coming from the exhaust as the rich mix goes down the exhaust! If I pump the pedal and then hit the key it will fire and run for four seconds then die. I have left it on the side of the road for a few hours and now it fires up and runs no problem. It has been on LPG but that has been removed and it did sit for 6 months but it always started and ran without any trouble while it was parked up, has fresh fuel in it. Anyone got any suggestions?

#5 ·
Doesn't look like there is a strainer and it does run fine until it decides to pack up. As a precaution I fitted a filter just before the carb as a last chance to catch anything that might get through before I started this arvo. It almost seems like a temperature related issue, once it cools off completely it will start and run fine.

#6 ·
they run an auto choke on these mate. there will be a plug with 4 wires on the firewall side of the carby try unplugging it and see if that helps

#7 ·
Thanks heaps for the advice guys, really appreciate it! Have fiddled this morning and admitted defeat, we shift house next week and need the wagon for transport duties so went and spoke to a mechanic at one of our local places. Good guys at Bears Mechanical in Mt Isa (in case you are ever stuck up this way!), we discussed it and their Nissan guru gave me a bit of a look and said "When was the carb last overhauled?". He thinks that is definitely a case of dried out and mistreated carb along with the crud being stirred up and possibly blocking jets. Will be delivering it to their skilled hands this arvo. definitely the last thing I had planned to be doing but what can ya do!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.