Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i recently turboed my rb30 gq and thought id put up a few pics.
motor was originally stock nothing whatsoever done to it
0-100 never, semis would beat me up hills.

most of the main parts, lots of little things missing
i got the turbo off a mate it had blown seals. i had a go rebuilding it myself so hopefully it doesn't blow up lol

the new high mount manifold and turbo

my nest of mess

the intake manifold off a vl with all the injector holes plugged up as i am running straight gas

the intercooler mounted up its a duel pass and the pluming done

bit closer view, almost done

the grill and bullbar back on, took about 2 hours with a grinder to get the grill to fit.

i still have to get a pic of it finished

im running 10psi also has water/methanol injection which comes on at 6psi to help keep things cool. it has totally transformed the car i haven't got any times yet but it can spin up the 33s on the bitumen, cruses at 100 great don't even have to change down gears for hills. it also beats fully sick v6 comos of at the lights :D. i get about the same fuel consumption and it only costs 60 bucks to fill.
if anyone is thinking about doing this would deffently recommend it. i love it

·
Registered
nissan
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
hers a pic of it done, the pod filter is just temp, still got to make a air box and snorkel

·
"NOW TAKING BRIBES"
nissan
5,282 Posts
Yep, the RB series engine are great, and the turbo get the most out of them for sure!

·
Registered
nissan
205 Posts
What gas system you running ?

·
Registered
nissan
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes it would be better with a rb26 head....hmmm, maybe next year.

i rang a few gas shops no one wanted much to do with it, its hard to find someone that will deal with turbo gas in gld. i got it done by mark at torque gas up the sunshine coast its their own system, mark has it on his gu straight gas turbo. they where extremely helpful, and let me hang round and fiddle while it was on the dyno. defiantly recommend them

·
Registered
nissan
56 Posts
looks good mate, i did the same thing to my old GQ extra cab, its a sweet conversion. i wanna turbo my 4.5 in my new GU, but seems to hard atm.. lol

·
Registered
nissan
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
looks good mate, i did the same thing to my old GQ extra cab, its a sweet conversion. i wanna turbo my 4.5 in my new GU, but seems to hard atm.. lol
thanks mate still a few things to do, it never ends. that would be awesome i've seen a few vids of the 4.5 turboed they go hard as. was yours a white extra cab with twin tanks fair bit of lift and two spoties on front bar. i've seen one crusin around bracken ridge a few times.

·
Registered
nissan
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
how much did the gas conversion cost? and did you get the government rebate?
it cost 3600 i got a bigger converter. 3500 with a smaller converter and that included the dyno. got 1500 back off the government so 2600 all up. it costs 60 to fill and i only get 20ks less than i was on fuel

·
Registered
nissan
56 Posts
thanks mate still a few things to do, it never ends. that would be awesome i've seen a few vids of the 4.5 turboed they go hard as. was yours a white extra cab with twin tanks fair bit of lift and two spoties on front bar. i've seen one crusin around bracken ridge a few times.
yep, thats my old one, looked a bit different when i had it. dont really think its been looked after since i sold it. it was a good truck, and is deff missed !!

·
Registered
nissan
205 Posts
it cost 3600 i got a bigger converter. 3500 with a smaller converter and that included the dyno. got 1500 back off the government so 2600 all up. it costs 60 to fill and i only get 20ks less than i was on fuel
What does that price include ?
Was it for all the pieces including the turbo, or was it just the lpg setup itself ?

·
Registered
nissan
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What does that price include ?
Was it for all the pieces including the turbo, or was it just the lpg setup itself ?
that was just for the lpg.
here's prices of a few things i can remember,
3inch exhaust 750
turbo 50 bucks off a mate, rebuild kit 80 bucks
top mount manifold 250- ebay hasn't cracked "yet" i've had it red hot but
wastegate 150 - ebay seams ok so far
vl inlet manifold 50 bucks
inter cooler - 250
inter cooler plumbing pipe and joiners 180
oil lines 150
there's lots of little bits and pieces i bought as i figured things out a they add up quick about 200 bucks worth some things i didn't use or got wrong size.
thats most things i think. acquired everything over a few months.

·
Registered
nissan
461 Posts
Nice job! Very keen to pic your brain.. Im sure i have the same gas setup on mine and have been wanting to turbo it for ages.

Thats an air rod system yea?

Are you just using the ring mixer?

How does it go up high in the rev range?

How much did it make on the dyno on waht tyres?

Great to see my system will work.. Wasn't too sure about as no one ever uses it.

More info please, what size balance tube are you using?

Awsome :)

·
Registered
nissan
146 Posts
hello evryone this is my first post as im in the process of aquiring my first troll:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
its the rb30 engine. i have a question about the turbo install.... i used to have a VL and turbo charged it myself, only thing i couldnt do and i got told i had to, was to put a new head gasket in it to lower the compression. does this have to be done? as they cost $$$.
any replies would be cool
thanks
Trav

·
Registered
nissan
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
no you don't have to lower the compression you just have to tune it right and i wouldn't run over 10psi anything over that and yes you should decompress it,

one advantage with running standard compression you don't lose power off boost and faster spool up. on the other hand if you decompress it u lose a bit of power off boost but you gain more on because you can run more psi depending on fuel supply

·
Registered
nissan
1,260 Posts
Hey mate what turbo are you running? Also does it start to spool up low down in the rev range? I am looking for a turbo upgrade for the RB25 in my troll.

·
Registered
nissan
146 Posts
Thanks Rassy89, i new the mechanic was just after some more money haha, good to know though.

·
Registered
nissan
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey mate what turbo are you running? Also does it start to spool up low down in the rev range? I am looking for a turbo upgrade for the RB25 in my troll.

hey im running a to4e journal bearing i rebuilt it when i first got it, i thought it was a half decent one but since have found out its probably not the best option, it hits full boost just under 3000 and runs out of puff around 5500, im going to upgrade to a gt3082r ball bearing which im told should hit full boost at around 2700 and maintain power alll the way to around 7000- not that i rev it out that far. your engine is slightly smaller but you have twin cam so should be around the same rev ranges as they flow better
hope that helps

·
Registered
nissan
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks Rassy89, i new the mechanic was just after some more money haha, good to know though.
haha yess they like money.
its the best thing i've done to mine yet. if you did your vl this isn't much different you should be fine. good luck any way i can help just ask

1 - 20 of 26 Posts