Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have done some searches but have not yet seen many (if any) pics of it actually done. I am wanting to intercool my RD28T in my GQ patrol and I have read people say get the manifold off the GU RD28T as its an exact swap over? Is this true?

Is there any pics of this completed?

Is there anything special or additional that I have to do while im doing it?

Reason Im looking at the possibility of changing the manifold is it looks like I have a small crack/hole along the top corner of my current on and plus I have read its easier to intercool with the GU manifold.

Thanks.

·
Registered
nissan
425 Posts
Or you can modify the existing one depending on what piping route you want to do. But since yours might be damaged probably not an option. I was going to put on a gu one till I found a std gq one already modified.

Greg

·
Registered
nissan
27 Posts
Hey man,
I'm in the process of doing exactly the same thing and should have it completed this week. I'll take some photos and post them for you. Yes you can use a manifold from a gu (I did). You have to consider what type of intercooler you want to use as well. You can have it mounted above your engine called a top mount which is what you commonly see with the gu's. but in this case you have to modify your bonnet putting a scoop on it . This works well in the because the cool air doesn't have far to travel meaning less or no lag time. I drove one and there still was lag though. However from what I have read you can have issues called heat soak ( hot air from the engine passing through your intercooler which sorta defeats the purpose.) What I have opted for is a front mount. I bought an intercooler of a bloke from this forum and am waiting for it to arrive to see how that goes. I'll have to modify the pipes so I'll let you know how that goes as well. With the front mounts, you always have cooler air passing through the intercooler because it is drawn by your radiator fan. So this means you may have to deal with a slightly longer lag time but you will have much more power at lower revs. Apparently this does not affect engine temperature. Hang tight and I'll post more when I know more.
Regards
Love 4x4's

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for that. Would appreciate the pics. I may not be understanding correctly or because I have not seen any pictures of it but on the manifold from a GU (got offered one this morning) it has the EGR stuff and of course where it bolts up to the head, I couldn't see where to turbo bolts to it though. Am I missing something? or do you need 2 different manifolds?

·
Registered
nissan
86 Posts
Hi there. I had a nice big front mounted intercooler on my rd28t 1996 .
But,I did not have an a/c on my motor. The bonnet intercoolers are fine but do little in cooling the charged air.the front mounted ones are far more efficient in cooling due to the larger area. But also after the intercooler mod go for a cone performance airfilters to get max air then, adjust the fueling to match the extra air intake and cooler air generated by the cooler.
You won't be disappointed .

·
Registered
nissan
486 Posts
Hi there. I had a nice big front mounted intercooler on my rd28t 1996 .
But,I did not have an a/c on my motor. The bonnet intercoolers are fine but do little in cooling the charged air.the front mounted ones are far more efficient in cooling due to the larger area. But also after the intercooler mod go for a cone performance airfilters to get max air then, adjust the fueling to match the extra air intake and cooler air generated by the cooler.
You won't be disappointed .
As above is exactly how to do it. Front mount for a gq is the way to go. Then get the pump tuned to suit. Consider an EGT gauge if you don't already have one mate. I have ac.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GQ
14 Posts
As I'm looking to do a top mount set up with a gu manifold to my rd, has anyone thought of putting a thermo fan (like an aftermarket electric a/c fan) underneath the intercooler?
Haven't quite thought about how it would be switched, so any ideas or opinions on the subject are more than welcome.

- Also if anyone has one for sale or knows someone who does, pm me

·
Registered
nissan
840 Posts
Not sure where you are located but i had been trying to sell a complete set up for ages. No one seemed interested so sold the intercooler and frame. I think i have the manifold and pipes if you are interested though.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GQ
14 Posts
How much do you want for them? Wonder how much postage is to melbourne from brisbane, haha
If i'm going to do my thermo fan idea i'd probably need an intercooler and frame that sits higher anyway, so that's no drama.

·
Registered
nissan
978 Posts
There's a thread on it. Am on the phone, so hard to link it right now.

Wire up the fan via a relay (fused of course) triggered from the ignition. In the circuit, stick a normally open thermostat. 50 degrees is the temp discussed in the other thread for the thermostat to close and conduct power to the fan.

For fans, you can get a new 10" so blade fan from ebay to fit underneath. I had one for a while until it wore out.

I'm using a radiator fan from a Hyundai excel. It's slightly bigger (motor is noticeably bigger)
Major difference is the air it pulls. Noticeable flow in front of the scoop.

I don't have said thermostat, as it would be on full time (heat where I live) but am going to get one to aid a quiet getaway out the driveway in the morning.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GQ
14 Posts
I'll do a search for the mentioned thread, thanks for the information mate :)

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GQ
14 Posts
That's exactly the information I needed!
Now I just need the hardware :p

·
Registered
nissan
840 Posts
How much do you want for them? Wonder how much postage is to melbourne from brisbane, haha
If i'm going to do my thermo fan idea i'd probably need an intercooler and frame that sits higher anyway, so that's no drama.
It's not worth much the way it is. Manifold would be the heaviest part but i'll find all the bits and you can have it for the price of postage if you want. :)

Reactions: P4trol

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GQ
14 Posts
I bought a manifold from Hall 4x4 for $65, called up and the price was so decent I took it straight away. All I need now is an intercooler, and the piping. So if you figure out how much you want for the piping and postage, i'll take it off your hands, haha
Also can anyone point me in the right direction of a decent quality intercooler? Or is the stock intercooler more than sufficient?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts