Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all, having trouble with my reverse lights. They sometimes come on but mostly dont. If they come on they flash as if they are getting an inconsistant supply of current. Not really electricly mined but any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,364 Posts
I thought he was talking about the stock reverse lights? if your talking about your stock reverse lights check the wiring from the gearbox or even the connection, if both are doing it you can most likely rule out the fittings.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought he was talking about the stock reverse lights? if your talking about your stock reverse lights check the wiring from the gearbox or even the connection, if both are doing it you can most likely rule out the fittings.
That's correct, standard reverse lights. Its funny u say the box as we just put a second hand one in on Friday and before then there was no reverse light at all. So with the new box we are getting at least some reverse signal sometimes. I guess that narrows it a bit. Thanks mate will check it asap

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
Aaaahh, no lights 'tall prev and now intermittent... Sounds like a dodgy connection or wiring down at the 'box. Now it has been disturbed...

·
Registered
Nissan
1,865 Posts
id guess the reverse light switch on the box is crook. u can bridge the two wiries together and if they come on u know the switch is crook.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys yeah pretty sure the switch is farked. cheers for the help

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GU IV
18,552 Posts
If it's a GQ 4.2 (pet or diesel) its on top of the box, driver's side, just behind bell housing, and virtually impossible to get at to replace the $30 part with the gear box in the car. Maybe could be done if car has a body lift?

On a GU its on the passenger side of the box half way up and easy to get to.

In my experience, as often as not it konks out in the engaged position, ie the reverse lights are on with ignition all the time, whether you're in reverse or not.

·
Registered
Nissan
5,358 Posts
I had mine replaced by auto sparky years ago. I never bothered to find out where it was since i was paying for the job. But, I do remember auto sparky saying it's just under the gear lever. I think he accessed it from the top by removing gear lever cover.

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GU IV
18,552 Posts
That's why I specified 4.2, obviously yours is the smaller box and has the switch in a different location. Can't get it through gearstick hole with a 4.2.

Reactions: dom14
1 - 11 of 11 Posts