Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, on my 1990 GQ shorty, when you engage full beam the right headlight turns off and only the left is on, sometimes it will work and others it won't, think it might be the switch lever itself but arent entirely sure... the front end is coming apart on the weekend to have a look at it but more for other things, wasn't sure if this might be a common problem with them or just one of those annoying things?

·
just a good guy.
2009 gu ute
9,529 Posts
my left did same thing. i found the plug was corroded and rusty. pulled light out and cleaned with sandpaper on the light lugs. and replaced plug. hope that is all it is . if the switch it would have more probs than just that. oh and mines not sealed beam i replaced with H4 globes.

Reactions: Frankachief

·
Premium Member
nissan
2,280 Posts
Does the high beam warning light in the dash still work? The warning light runs off the same contact in the switch as the RHS headlight.

If the warning light stopped working at the same time then it's more then likely a faulty switch.

If the warning light still works it's more then likely a blown bulb

·
Registered
Nissan
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea the light goes off to which is why I thought it may have been the switch. Thanks

·
Registered
nissan
884 Posts
Could be the indicator/light stalk. You can disassemble them and clean the fingers as such. Did this to mine ages ago and works perfectly. Have to bend the fingers up out of the way then bend them back again. But in about a year no failure. Beats spending the money on a whole new stalk.

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
10,999 Posts
Dead/dim headlights are fairly common on older Patrols - my money is on the combo switch as others have said.

I have had to clean mine up (MK) too. I use a bit of WD40 to wipe down the terminals and remove any loose dirt, then use some very fine sandpaper and sand away - the goal is to remove the dirt and carbon build up, not sand the terminals down.

I found mine had already been done by a previous owner and he had not sanded evenly so the contact patch was reduced, so there was more current trying to flow through a smaller area, which caused a heat build up. To fix, I just put a small blob of solder on each contact and filed and sanded until I had a good contact and open distance when the switch was off. You may not need to do this.

To prevent it happening again in the future, make or buy a new headlight loom.

·
Registered
179 Posts
all of the above plus check your main earths. My headlights were acting up last week and turned out to just be an earthing issue

1 - 9 of 9 Posts