Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m about to get a small section of my roof cut out just above the gutter above the drivers door and B pillar area. I’m looking at ways to get fish oil or similar into the rest of the internal side of the gutters. It looks like a royal PITA to pull out the roof lining.
My idea is to drill three or four holes down each side just above the gutter to provide access, and then fit rubber grommets into the holes. It might look a bit unsightly, but I reckon they’d be barely noticeable, especially if I paint them to match. And reapplication every year or so would be so much easier.
Has anyone done this before? Are there any drawbacks? I considered roof strength but I don’t think this would be an issue, also leaking but properly fitted grommets shouldn’t leak I don’t think.
Comments?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan gq
1,482 Posts
I’m about to get a small section of my roof cut out just above the gutter above the drivers door and B pillar area. I’m looking at ways to get fish oil or similar into the rest of the internal side of the gutters. It looks like a royal PITA to pull out the roof lining.
My idea is to drill three or four holes down each side just above the gutter to provide access, and then fit rubber grommets into the holes. It might look a bit unsightly, but I reckon they’d be barely noticeable, especially if I paint them to match. And reapplication every year or so would be so much easier.
Has anyone done this before? Are there any drawbacks? I considered roof strength but I don’t think this would be an issue, also leaking but properly fitted grommets shouldn’t leak I don’t think.
Comments?

It is a job to drop the roof liner,glass out etc,if you can live with grommets in the roof why not ? there will be no strength issues,

Cheers,G.

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
10,644 Posts
I agree that there won't be any strength issues, the roof skin isn't particularly structural anyway.

Roof rust can quickly turn a small repair into a money pit as they generally rust from the inside out, so it could have spread a long way internally. I hope for your sake this isn't the case on your car.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
7,204 Posts
Ive got same issue.

But thankfully my roof lining slightly easier after my chop.
Ive been thinking about spraying a rust converter primer up there as well, followed by fish oil.
Try and battle any existing rust first

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m getting the rust cut out as we speak, and the repairer is going to put in four half inch grommets evenly spaced down each side for me. When I get it back next week I’ll post up a couple of photos.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts