Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys just wondering how they fair in a crash. Don't suppose they have a ncap safety rating.any pics of damage,does having it lifted make it worse or better for the occupants

What bout hitting another car,geez t boning another car with a decent lift and bar would fk them up.what bout head on, u could almost drive over a car, wouldn't be bumper to bumper.

Just wondering as I was looking at ncap safety ratings on a new car for the mrs.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
How they would fair in a crash ???
Depends where they are hit,what they are hit with (car,truck, b double, train ect)
Lifted again damage can depend where its hit
Changing the centre of gravity buy lifting can have a different effect

New cars have air bags (either 1 or 2 )standard and many safety features the GQs dont have

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
NCAP safety rating isn't a good indicator of safety. they dont do rollovers or kangaroo strikes.
Crumple zones are designed for 60km/hr. At higher speeds they can reduce safety.

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
9,258 Posts
I can tell you right now that I would NOT want to be inside a GQ during any part of an accident with something larger than a roo.

Side protection is very poor, aided only by being higher than most other road vehicles.

Frontal protection is very poor, aided only by its size and weight. There are no crumple zones. Any energy into the front of the vehicle will travel backwards through the vehicle to the passengers. Much of the front end in a serious accident will also deform and the passenger cabin will deform presenting a major flesh and bone injury risk.

Rollover protection is even more woeful. GQ has terrible roof structure.

GU is only marginally better.

They are old dated 4wds. Only reason they do alright in real world accidents is because most of the things they hit are smaller/lighter than them.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
I can tell you right now that I would NOT want to be inside a GQ during any part of an accident with something larger than a roo..
I'd be happier in a GQ against nearly any of the small cars than those in the smaller car - bar or no bar.

but are you talkin only side impact, or anything.. big difference. side impact, I'd probably agree with you. front on... whole different kettle of females.

personally I see those small cars like "SMART" cars and **** like that as mobile coffins.

·
I SUNK 1
Nissan Patrol ST GQ30
960 Posts
in regards to front impact, in a 4x4 like a troll crumple zones wouldnt have much effect as the body is held onto the chassis by bolts.
there will be and i guarintee crumple zones (crumple zones for those who dont know are are the dips and rises in the metal)(probably get told off for explaning that but some people may not know) in the front skirts but again unless what you hit actually hits the skirts you have nothing to worry about.
if you get t-boned by a car, you have to remember that the car that is hitting you is going to be braking. this means that the car that is about to hit you will be full compressed on its front springs so if your lifted of not, the car that hits you is very likely to hit you in line with your floor which will be a fairly strong part of you car. this applys to even sedans and small cars, they rely on the car thats hitting you to be compressed at the front.
as for a roll over, really what car is designed to handle that, big or small not really a good situation to be in.
all in all, with the amount of incompitent drivers on the road id rather be in my troll.

·
"Toxic Personality"
nissan
8,986 Posts
if i have a big spill it will probably be in a GQ. . . but it should be fine. . . it will have a big rollcage. -winch it back onto its wheels and drive off.

·
I SUNK 1
Nissan Patrol ST GQ30
960 Posts
yep, well put jacket. designed to take a belting and then a belting after that. you'll be quite safe in a troll i reckon

·
Registered
nissan
38 Posts
NCAP safety rating isn't a good indicator of safety. they dont do rollovers or kangaroo strikes.
Crumple zones are designed for 60km/hr. At higher speeds they can reduce safety.
They do an offset crash test which Patrols do very poorly with. If a Patrol turns sideways after an offset collision it will roll much more readily than a sedan.
Patrols also do badly in a frontal collision due to the rigidity of the vehicle.

In saying all that I am a firefighter & have seen the results of more accidents than I prefer to remember. One I would like to forget was a head on between a Commodore acclaim with 2 airbags verses a Ford Courier 4WD with no airbag. It was in an 80km/h zone where the Commodore swerved to avoid a ladder dropped by a Telstra van. The impact was 160km/h. The 3 adults in the Commodore were killed, 2 instantly & another on the way to hospital. The lady in the Courier had injuries from striking the steering wheel & was back at work in 2 months. There was a crumple zone in this crash, all of it was in the Commodore & it was all used resulting in the motor driving up under the dash & breaking every leg in the front seats.

The moral of the story is that if I am going to run off the road & hit an immovable object I would like to be in the Commodore. However if I am going to hit another car give me my GQ.

The other side of this story is not just the crumple zones it is also the deceleration. You have all heard the old saying 'It is not the speed that kills, it is the sudden stop. If you are in the vehicle with the most mass your deceleration will be less than the vehicle with the least mass.

Kev

·
I SUNK 1
Nissan Patrol ST GQ30
960 Posts
hey sirkev. not trying to start an argument here and i seriously apologise if anyone gets the wrong end of the stick here.
firstly, thank you for helping people and you deserve thanks for the shi* you have to deal with.
although in a car crash, 2 cars heading towards each other at 80km/hr doesnt = a 160km/hr crash, the force of an impact is exactly the same as a car hitting a solid wall at 80km/hr for each car involved, and this is why cars are tested in this manner.
all 4x4's involved in accidents have an increased likleyhood of rolling if the crash is offset. this is given that the vehicle from factory is higher and more unstable.
air bags are a wonderful thing to have in an accident but they are unreliable. i fix cars quite often that the airbag sensor has either moved with the force of the impact or the chassis has colapssed arount the airbag sensor. on saying this i would rather have an airbag than not have one, chances are it is going to save a life.
accidents really come down to luck, all it takes is a slight deflection and even crumple zones dont have the full effect.
again thank you. and i apologise if this sounds agressive (not intended)

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Intresting replies guys. Good info. Quite a bit of mass in out trucks aswell.just thought I would ask as I haven't heard much bout it.hope none of us have to experience such a thing though.

·
Registered
nissan
100 Posts
hey sirkev. not trying to start an argument here and i seriously apologise if anyone gets the wrong end of the stick here.
firstly, thank you for helping people and you deserve thanks for the shi* you have to deal with.
although in a car crash, 2 cars heading towards each other at 80km/hr doesnt = a 160km/hr crash, the force of an impact is exactly the same as a car hitting a solid wall at 80km/hr for each car involved, and this is why cars are tested in this manner.
all 4x4's involved in accidents have an increased likleyhood of rolling if the crash is offset. this is given that the vehicle from factory is higher and more unstable.
air bags are a wonderful thing to have in an accident but they are unreliable. i fix cars quite often that the airbag sensor has either moved with the force of the impact or the chassis has colapssed arount the airbag sensor. on saying this i would rather have an airbag than not have one, chances are it is going to save a life.
accidents really come down to luck, all it takes is a slight deflection and even crumple zones dont have the full effect.
again thank you. and i apologise if this sounds agressive (not intended)
Pretty close but technically it wouldn't be an 80 / 80 split unless both vehicles weighed the same.

Give me a 4x4 any day in 95% of multiple car crashes I would rather be in a gq with a nice steel bar.

·
"Toxic Personality"
nissan
8,986 Posts
i dont plan on hitting anything at high speed <80kph:badidea:. i anticipate i might slide off a cliff and smash into some trees, or go end over end backwards down a big hillclimb:naughty:. . . . thats something i might do. or i could flip and end up on my roof in a rock garden:rolleyes:

in any case ill happily be inside a 6+ point ccda approved race spec roll cage vs some 5-star ncap rated thingy-mi-bob.:angel:

·
Registered
nissan
38 Posts
Trav is correct that 80 + 80 does not always equal 160, there are many other factors & forces involved. I also spoke about deceleration as being a major contributor to injuries to the vehicle occupants, this is also not totally accurate because there are other factors involved. I took some poetic license to try & keep the story simple, so I definatley won't take offence at Trav's comments.

The question was about ncap ratings & I think that Green Troll needs to compare apples to apples when choosing a car for the Mrs. From experience at accidents I am seeing a lot more people walking away from crashes that look like they should be fatalities. The Commodore example I used was a VR or VS, the engine pushed the firewall back onto the legs of the occupants. If it was a modern Commodore the motor would have gone under the car or flown 100m down the road, but the passenger compartment may have remained intact. Modern car crash resistance has become so good that car companies are now putting most of their efforts into crash prevention.

Decide first on what you want the car to do then select the safest car that can perform the task. Modern is best, but size really does matter.

Kev

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Again these examples depend on how,where its hit
Personal example is hitting wildlife head on in a 4x4
No airbags or that fancy stuff
Walked away not even a scratch
BUT if i was in anything lower (commo,falcon little bux box)
Dead
The hieght of the bullbar kept the wieght in the front of the car
A lower car would have scooped the livestock straight up and over the bonnet and into ,no doubt,the car

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,364 Posts
i was talking to a mate who had a gq shortie, he said that the hand brake failed and it went hurdling down a track with nobody in it, it hit the tree with alot of force and broke all the body mounts. he puts this down to his 2" body lift. does this sound right or would the result of been the same without the body lift?

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i was talking to a mate who had a gq shortie, he said that the hand brake failed and it went hurdling down a track with nobody in it, it hit the tree with alot of force and broke all the body mounts. he puts this down to his 2" body lift. does this sound right or would the result of been the same without the body lift?
Wow.good queztion mate.what was the body blocks made of.did they break or was it the bolts

Sent from my GT-I9000T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,364 Posts
green troll he told me they were ally blocks and ALL the high tensile bolts snapped. He said it hit really hard, the shorty was getting airborn off the dozer mounds

1 - 20 of 21 Posts