Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Supercharger kit purchased and installed by Metro 4x4, Safari snorkel. Relocated power steering pump to lower drivers side of motor under super charger. Rerouting of all lines. Relocation of clutch master resevor closer to firewall. Modify pizza box air cleaner to suit super charger. Insert rubber bushing in original harmonic balancer and install sheer pin, attach outer pulley to harmonic balancer. Install custom brackets and piping and super charger. Running at 5PSI. Installed extractors.

After this i have remade most of the system to get reliability back, if it broke a super charger belt it usually destroys all the belts and some times tears a hole through the radiator resulting in a new radiator.

This design is very poor as i have replaced the shear pin 3 times and eventually it stripped the the end of the crank. The bottom pulley is only held tight by the tension of the nut that holds the original harmonic balancer on and a 2 mm shear pin, I solved this problem by drilling out the original bolt holes in the nissan balancer and making a new insert inside the balancer to bolt the lower pulley to the balancer. This makes the whole bottom balancer and super charger pulley one piece thus removing the need for both the shock mount bushing and shear pins. All the vibrations went away as there was no way the lower pulley could wander on the rubber bushes.

The next issue was tensioners, these things seize the bearings or crack the rubber mount inside and usually tear a belt in half or take out a radiator or belts. After numerous expensive replacements i built my own from a aftermarket tensioner shortened and welded up to remove the rubber part and remade the tensioner wheel so we could use high speed bearings 25 000rpms. This seems to have solved all the tensioner issues.

Made a new top pulley to increase boost from 5PSI to 11PSI massive difference.

Having got the system sorted out the next problem was heat, on a hill you could watch the needle go off the top of the gauge. Installing a PYRO was a shock as this was hitting close to 800 on a hill, no wonder its water temps were going through the roof. Installed an AU fan unit to outside of a custom built Alum radiator, its aprox 70 mm thick and takes a lot longer to heat up on a hill. Installed a 4” snorkel, cyclone air cleaner and a GU Intercooler. This dropped my Pyro temps to around 500 on the same hill. I have yet to install a 3” exhaust as its still running a 2.5 and feel that will also help.

Have a basic drawing of the balancer i made, paint and i dont get along very well so sorry about the drawing quality.

Cost no idea but unless you own a milling machine its very expensive to get some of the pulleys etc made up.

Super charger kit aprox $5000 ( i think)
Super charger belt is around $80.
Radiator was aprox $1200
Lower pulley machining $400
Upper pulley machining $500
Tensioner arm $60
Tensioner wheel and bearings $650
AU Fan unit $220
Stainless 30mm flexifan $120
Fan boss to extend fan $140

Relocation of power steering pump and clutch master bottle unknown.

I have also built my own endless air system and still have the original cad drawings to send off to get the brackets made, im happy to write up a DIY if someone is interested.

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
298 Posts
I like the idea of a supercharger but Fark over 6Gs. You could of turbo'd it for about half the price and had heaps more power and more reliability IMO

·
Banned
nissan
201 Posts
Whoa, cool experiment but big bucks! That pump must take some power to drive seeing as it's unthrottled. What is the engine braking like?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes i think there a bit cheaper now days, and doing it again i would just purchase the bits i needed and make the rest.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
engine braking no difference from standard as far as i can tell, heaps more torque and pull from idle is fantastic.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Cheers for doin a write up ghost! It's great seeing other peoples ideas on doing things differently! You were always gonna cop flak for the price but at least it's original. Well thought out solutions to your problems too..
Tod-

·
Registered
77 Posts
Great write up mate!

I'd love to see one on a diy endless air.. My aircon doesn't blow cold air anyway!

·
Registered
nissan
1,514 Posts
pyro temps will be high simililar to running pre turbo temps because there not running through a turbine so i think 750 c would be text book

1 - 10 of 10 Posts