Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gday every one,
Im looking at locking up my Shorty soon, and have a few options / decisions.

Im going with a Air locker in the front (prob an ARB), but its the rear im wondering what to do with???

So im after a few thoughts about what every ones experiences and thoughts would be when it comes to the 3 options
1/ Leave in the Original LSD, as its still pretty tight.
2/ Do a a full diff swap with my other SWB that has the Factory diff lock fitted
3/ OR install a Air locker in the rear as well as the front

My main concern with the Factory diff lock is its strength, i havent b...een able to talk to many ppl that have used them a Lot. I know the Solenoids play up, but are an easy fix, so more looking at the strength of the locker V an air locker

Thanks for your help Lads and Lasses
Gordo

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Why not stick with the front locker, leave the LSD and find out if you *REALLY NEED* the rear locker...

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
My main concern with the Factory diff lock is its strength, i havent b...een able to talk to many ppl that have used them a Lot. I know the Solenoids play up, but are an easy fix, so more looking at the strength of the locker V an air locker

Thanks for your help Lads and Lasses
Gordo
I've got one and use it a lot. Had the usual trouble with the factory solenoids but the aftermarket one (Mac Valve) fixed that. Locks very quickly since and as far as strength goes the Nissan carrier etc would be as strong if not stronger than the arb. It's getting long in tooth now (20yrs old) and hasn't failed yet.
Swapping the factory one into it would be cheaper of course but fitting the arb would probably be easier to do.

·
Right Turn Clyde
nissan patrol
1,052 Posts
Why not stick with the front locker, leave the LSD and find out if you *REALLY NEED* the rear locker...
Thats I have in mine and it gets into and out of trouble wherever I need to go. :)

Do the front first the decide if you need the rear later. All depends on what you play in.

cheers.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Stay with the LSD and front locker until you really need the rear. I run shimmed LSD and front locker and am happy with it like that.

·
Registered
nissan
511 Posts
Well you haven't said if you've got a winch.

I'd be inclined to go LSD rear and locked front and when they and you have got your self well and truely stuck , the winch will be what gets you out!

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
Plenty of debates about whats better ie: lock the front or lock the rear.

I've got a rear factory locker and open front
Mates got a Lokka in the front and good LSD rear.
Both are GQ's with similar tyres.
Both are pretty even crawling up a steep track and dunes although I'll get further if it's deeply rutted as more weight is on the rear for traction when climbing and a locked rear is 100% drive to both wheels so I think you cant go wrong whichever way you go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts