Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol SWB 4x4, 2 1/2" Lift, 33" Micky Thompsons
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all you guru's

I'm just putting my feelers out for lift options for my rig.

I have 2" body lift and want to keep it but I plan to raise the suspention about 3"

It's a heavy rig,
? full length steel roof racks
? side scrub steps
? rear bar with side scrub bars and 2x tyre/ jerry can holders made to suit rear quater chop with incorperated tow pac
? Tube style winch bar

So just a guess it would be atleast 300kg extra weight.

I tow a heavy work trailer often so I was thinking about airbag in the rears..

Has anyone had any issues lifting a SWB esentially 5" (inc body blocks) and having the airbags?
Also what brands would you recomend and caster correction options... dropbox or caster corection, longer radius arms.. Etc?

I want the best set up for my requirements and I dont want to pay custom prices!!

I'm in Melbourne if it means anything...
Cheers peoples!

·
Registered
nissan
1,109 Posts
Honestly no one here will say that a 2" body lift and 3" spring lift is anything close to a good idea on a SWB. The COG will be too high. Longer rear controls arms at the rear will just make the tyres rub so unless you're guard chopping it's not feasible. You'll probably have driveshaft problems.

Superior and Roadrunner Offroad have good reputations but there are tons of options.

Personally i'd just get an 'off the shelf' 2" lift with extra HD springs at the rear and castor correction bushes at the front. That way theres no driveshaft issues, no drop boxes or custom radius arms, no adjustable rear control arms either. Thats just me cause i'm cheap. (But HD standard length rear lowers are a good idea since the factory ones are pretty weak).

How heavy is your trailer? The towball downweight shouldn't exceed 200kg regardless so unless you sticking a heap of crap IN the car then i don't see the point in airbags. Lots of people run airbags in wagons but personally i see them as more of a ute thing.

What sort of 4wding are you doing? Touring? Or driving every track?

I'm sure lots of people will disagree with me but thats my opinion, you'll stir up the hornets nest debating the virtues of a higher lift. It's been done to death before.

·
Registered
nissan
57 Posts
I run a 3" suspension and 1" body with 35's and no sway bars and castor correction bushes with radius arm spacers. Goes great in the bush and I drive it really hard, does wander a little on the road but still tows my camper trailer no worries. I run standard arms and superior adjustable panhards front and back. Suspension stuff rear coils.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,149 Posts
If it was me, Id pull out the body lift and spend time with the 2'' lift to get it perfect. You can run 35''s with a 2'' lift, you already have mad ramp over, and with good bull bar and some clever work with the tow bar gets you all the approach and departure you need.

3-4'' suspension lift will require the rear lower control arms to be made 17mm longer, You have to space the gearbox down somewhere between 5mm and 20mm (it varies a fair bit for car to car)
Adjustable F & R panhards, drop boxes or Arms (drop boxes if you like good handling staying alive, drop arms if you like driving over massive trees and rocks and don't mind dieing) Also the dropboxes will help with lowering the gearbox.

Even then you may still have horrible drive line vibrations from the tail shaft and need to go down the double cardan road ( prob not with 3'' but it wouldn't be the first time)
No matter what you do, don't go for castor correction plates!

Then at a total of 5'' + increased tire size you are well and truly in the insurance voiding and canary magnet department.

You will also need extended brake lines F+R , longer BPV bracket, Adjustable drag link to be able to keep your steering working properly ( straight and even lock to lock, instead of the old moving the steering wheel and having 1.5 turns left and 2.5 right)
extended sway-bar brackets or aftermarket bars

I wouldn't worry about airbags, If your trailer is built and loaded properly (to Vicroads regs) the tow bar down force shouldn't be anywhere near enough to be an issue.

Shortys will also crack the floor around body lift blocks a lot faster and worse then a long wheeler.

you will not be able to get it engineered like that also.

To do it properly your looking at 3-5k, and still illegal

1 - 5 of 5 Posts