Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Interested in finding out some figures in regards to economy when out in the bush.

Currently complating between a 4.2 Petrol & Diesel/Turbo Diesel (the age old question) - But here's the kicker.

The patrol will purely be used a bush pig. Driven Saturday/Sunday morning, Thrashed around and parked in the driveway again until its needed.

This is leaning me towards the Petrol model - as they're roughly $5-$7k cheaper with most of the "bolt ons" - Although I have used the search function, and have not been able to find what they're like on fuel in the bush.

Ideally it doesn't really matter what the economy is like, Although I would like to get a few day trips out in the scrub before needing to refuel.

I realise there is a lot of contributing factors to the question, and all answers can be very vague.

Although hoping to find a 'happy' medium

Thanks

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
A bush pig with no care on ecconomy def go the tb. A a you said you will save a fork load purchasing one and will put perform an NA TD any day off the week. From past experience with my tb45 I used about 25-35 litres/100 whilst wheeling!
If in doubt take some jerry cans. Tb's have plenty of grunt for the bush!

·
Registered
nissan
1,819 Posts
Go the turbo diesel more torque and more power than the petrol when set up diesels are generally better off road due to better engine braking downhill their ability to crawl better especially in rocky terrain and less likely to stop in deep water crossings. As a general rule you could say the diesel will use approximately one third less fuel than a petrol give or take a bit which equates to more time you can spend in the bush on a tank .My turbo diesel gets around 12 lph and usually only use a few litres more when driven harder where a petrol will roughly start around 16 to 20 driven casually and guzzle when you put your foot down like the figures posted above.

·
GHMBC #3
nissan patrol gq lwb,3"lift.
3,788 Posts
Your kidding right throw a cup of water on your dizzy and start it up
r u kidding? mine goes fine till the mud locks up the throttle body on the efi manifold.

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
Go the turbo diesel more torque and more power than the petrol when set up diesels are generally better off road due to better engine braking downhill their ability to crawl better especially in rocky terrain and less likely to stop in deep water crossings. As a general rule you could say the diesel will use approximately one third less fuel than a petrol give or take a bit which equates to more time you can spend in the bush on a tank .My turbo diesel gets around 12 lph and usually only use a few litres more when driven harder where a petrol will roughly start around 16 to 20 driven casually and guzzle when you put your foot down like the figures posted above.
I think the OP needs to add how much he plans to spend on a truck, you will not get a turbo TD that isn't complete horse crap for under 10k.
A tb gq maybe 4-5 and a gu tb45 for 8k ish.
Tb's are fine in the bush!! It's on the highways loaded that they fall behind...
If it were me and I was after a bush basher is grab a set up tb45 and at least have something half comfortable, sure there wider, fatter and heavier with more plastic to dint but.. well I just could not go back to a rim rattler gq!

·
Registered
nissan/1989 gq
446 Posts
Half decent turbo GQ will costs almost $10k more than Tb. If it's just a weekend car, it would take you decades to make the difference back in fuel.
There are plenty of Tb42s for sale and can be bought really cheap. If you wreck it in the bush, you can just get new one and swap the good bits. Turbo TD42 are rare and expensive, worth only if you planing to be stuck with it for really long time.

·
Registered
nissan
1,819 Posts
Not sure what people are getting excited about the original poster mentioned the TB42 to my belief it is a 4.2 ltr petrol with a carby not an efi or a 4.5 ltr not sure how that one got in their. I'm not bagging petrols just pointing out a few areas where a diesel can perform a bit better and be a little bit more reliable in some situations. I simply mentioned that a diesel is less likely to stop in water which I thought was common knowledge because diesels don't have leads ,plugs, coil or a dizzy like a petrol which makes a petrol more vulnerable to sputtering or possibly conking out if these items get too wet is that easy to understand . I'm not talking about ingesting water down the intake either or having a correctly sealed snorkel and intake hoses or the alternator being vulnerable on both vehicles you also forgot to have a go at me about the fuel econ I mentioned am I wrong there as well. Sorry to the original poster if your thread has been ruined now by my original attempt to answer your question just trying to pass on a little of what I have learn't over the years having owned 4 petrol, 5 diesel 4WD's

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
I through in tb45, this is where cost of the rig comes into play.
Anyway if it were a gq only. Go the tb42(my off sider had an inj model and it was very smooth) half the purchase cost and will crap all over a NA TD.
Not everyone needs a turbo TD...

·
Registered
nissan
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey all,

Sorry for the delay in response - it will literally just be a weekend warrior, something to tackle mud tracks and the occasional rock crawl weekends away up in the victorian high country (dargo etc) although mainly on long weekends, so not very common at all.

EDIT: Previously, I have driven on Neerim & Noojee tracks, which is mainly mud slush & clay. Although I have an interest in rock crawl type tracks, eventually I would like to go to Toolangi

The thought process was to mainly get a GQ as they're going for around 8-10k in TB42 with all the 'good bits' where as its pretty much a standard GQ TD42 is going for 15-18k with very very minimal modifications.

Ideally I'd like to be around the 8-12k price range, as it will only be a car used on the occasional weekend - other wise it will just sit in the driveway patiently waiting to be driven again.

I am open minded to a GU - Although have seen the 2.8TD and the 3.0L - I haven't paid too much attention to the 4.5L as a few friends I know have told me to avoid them and "spend the extra for the 4.8" - Which is too far out of the price range for what I want to use it for.

The most highway/road driving it would do is to get from home to the tracks, and back. Otherwise it would be a dedicated bush only driven car (which is what makes me lean towards the petrol, purely because of the price)

Hell - at the end of the day, even if I bought a fully modified TB42 and killed the engine, atleast i would have a lot of parts to swap on a standard/stock TD42 shell.

What are peoples thoughts on the 4.5L GU, are they worth the extra $$$ considering what i would be using it for? I am sure as a daily driver it would be beneficial, but as a weekend thrasher?

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
I have seen many a tb45 gu pretty well set up for under 10k.
Km are generally irrelevant if well looked after.
In my experience with my old tb45 is was more than adequate while out wheeling but on trips away towing etc is where it suffered! That's where the tb48 comes in to play.
I think one should be as comfortable as possible while wheeling and a gu will be far nicer!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts