Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day. I have a 97 GQ Coil Cab that is one of the best big custom tourers/hardcore Patrol ute I have seen. I am running 35's and am currently contemplating selling as I want something that cruises a lot better both on the highway and up hills. I do regular long distance trips and am sick and tired of having to keep an eye out for hills and then quickly dropping back to 65km/h. The ute weighs 3.2 tonnes in unloaded form with the canopy on it. I am currently running standard 4.1 ratios with the TD42 with an after market turbo. How much would I benefit from going to 4.6 ratios with the 35's? Would it go as well as it would if I were still running 31's? How much should I expect to pay for them supply and fit? Cheers Brad

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,540 Posts
My dual cab has 35's and 4.6's and it dies on the hills. Mine's non-turbo with extractors and 2.5 exhaust. I had a standard GQ a while back with 31's which used to die on hills so to answer your question, Yes it will still be like having 31's.

As for the cost, I paid around $400 per set for Terrain Tamer gears. I also got a price of around $980 per set for genuine Nissan ones. Not sure about the fitting cost because I fitted them.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I think you may want to see if your canopy can be lightened.
Mine weighs in at around about 2300? So thats one heavy canopy.

·
Registered
nissan
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My canopy can be lifted on and off with 2 blokes. It is just a basic caged canopy with canvas sides, no shelving or anything, with an aluminium solid roof with a full size custom roof top tent. 3.2tonnes is with a 180Lt fuel tank and 65Lt water tank both full. Also has a custom swing out wheel carrier, ARB bar, winch, brush bars, dual batteries, under tray BBQ that would only weigh around 25kg. I think my tray is the heavy part as it can't be lifted once off the vehicle with even 4 blokes.

I can still cruise on 110km/h on the open roads but it just seems to take forever to get it there, then keeping it there on even slight hills is impossible.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,149 Posts
changing the gears to 4.6 will help alot. no matter what car you buy if you put 35's on it its gonna die on hills. if your seriouse about it Turbo it and put 4.6 in it. then you wont find many hills on roads that you cant keep to 110 in 5th gear

·
Registered
nissan
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It already has a turbo mate. Motor is also a completely new/ fully reco with only 20,000km on it so no dramas there.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,149 Posts
do the gears then you wont regret it. better economy aswell. genuine ones from nissan are $1000 per end, you can get them from brunswick deisel for 600 each i herd somwhere. if you cant fit them ur self if you can pull the centers out and take them to a diff man ud be looking at about 300 per end. or drive in drive out ud be looking at close to $1000

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
You need 4.3s for 35s as with 4.6s your speedo will be out and your revs will be to high at 100klm/h so economy will be bad for highway use. 4.6s are perfect if your running 37s your speedo will be accurate and you will have the right rpm and 100klm/h.

·
Previously known as twodiffs
1991 GQ Safari.
3,684 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I thought it was 4.1 for 31's as per standard, 4.3 for 33's and 4.6 for 35's and 4.8 for 37's-38's???? Seems to make sense to me

·
1991 GQ Safari.
3,684 Posts
I've read so many posts where guys are running 4.6's with 35's and have way too much engine revs on road...so much that they want to drop to 4.3's...ONROAD.

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
I thought it was 4.1 for 31's as per standard, 4.3 for 33's and 4.6 for 35's and 4.8 for 37's-38's???? Seems to make sense to me
One I my mates fitted 4.6s with 35s and then when back to 4.3s due to the poor highway economy. It was an expensive mistake.

4.1s and 33s makes your speedo accurate and rev's perfect for 100klm/h
4.3s and 35s makes your speedo accurate and rev's perfect for 100klm/h
4.6s and 37s makes your speedo accurate and rev's perfect for 100klm/h

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,149 Posts
with 35's and 4.1's my spedo was 95 and gps was 100. 35's and 4.6's 105 speedo is 100 gps. 100 kmh is between 2350-2400 same as stock tyres and gears.. round town with 4.1's 35's bout 17 liters/100km, highway about 14L/100km depending on hills and wind. with 4.6 and 35's i get about 12L/100km with verry little effect between hills and wind. also i hardly ever touch the gear stick once im upto 100. and you can actualy pass cars in 5th with out any trouble instead of slaming 4th and giving it stick for 5 min to pass somone. best mod i ever made. (besides turbo)

·
1991 GQ Safari.
3,684 Posts
One I my mates fitted 4.6s with 35s and then when back to 4.3s due to the poor highway economy. It was an expensive mistake.

4.1s and 33s makes your speedo accurate and rev's perfect for 100klm/h
4.3s and 35s makes your speedo accurate and rev's perfect for 100klm/h
4.6s and 37s makes your speedo accurate and rev's perfect for 100klm/h
Spot on Sim.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,149 Posts
then the other thing to think about is. the original gearing was set up to the original power curve of the engine, so with a turbo that changes the power curve so the correct rev range for 100 would be a fair bit differnt to a n/a engine.

·
1991 GQ Safari.
3,684 Posts
I'm banking on that for when the turbo goes on. For me 4.3's will be perfect for on/off road.
Any lack of revs or low down grunt off road will be sorted by the turbo.

·
Registered
nissan
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
then the other thing to think about is. the original gearing was set up to the original power curve of the engine, so with a turbo that changes the power curve so the correct rev range for 100 would be a fair bit differnt to a n/a engine.
So even tho your saying this "OUTBACK" do you still think I should go 4.3's?

·
Registered
nissan
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's just a hard decision when you get different opinions. Has anybody got got a TD42 Turbo and 35's with 4.3 or 4.6 gears????

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,149 Posts
eather option is going to make a differnce. I'v got the 35's n 4.6's in my gq ute. your welcome to come have a drive of it :) 4.6 will give better offroad performance.. and better highway that what you have at the moment. otherwize stick some stockies on it and drive it and that will be what its like with 4.3's the you can make up your mind

·
1991 GQ Safari.
3,684 Posts
It's just a hard decision when you get different opinions. Has anybody got got a TD42 Turbo and 35's with 4.3 or 4.6 gears????
SEARCH and you will get the answer to that Q.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts