Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys,

I have a 1995 GQ TD42 blacktop with a 10mm pump and Denco turbo kit on it running 13 psi and ~350ks. Safari HHD clutch installed 35k ago. For the past 6 months I've been having a very strange issue. When i'm driving along at a constant speed on the highway my revs will randomly drop to idle and the accelerator gives no response. The only way I can get my revs back is to push the clutch in, pump the accelerator and release the clutch which then my car works fine. It happens mostly random or sometimes when I hit a bump in the road. It has become more frequent up until the point that every time I dropped the clutch it would just drop back to idle again yesterday. Here is a list of things I have tried to fix it:

• New fuel filter
  • New air filter
  • Diesel Power fuel additive/system cleaner
  • Checked for blockage in gauze filter in fuel pump and my car doesn't have one
A weird thing that did seem to bandaid fix it and get me home after it died yesterday is the hand throttle idle knob had become separated from the cable inside it which must apply a pre-tension to the accelerator? I pulled the cable out approx 5mm and locked it off with a set of pliers and it only dropped revs twice in the 2 hour trip on the way home. The car never runs rough when it's running. Doesn't free rev at all indicating the throttle cable shouldn't be frayed/jammed up in the sleeve. Has no issues starting and blows no smoke/ has no blow-by. Have asked a few mechanics and they are stumped also. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Ben

·
Registered
2010 GU DX CRD Grenade :)
663 Posts
Hey mate,

I'm sure someone else will be along with some suggestions, but I'd suspect either the throttle cable or maybe one of the linkages. Unless the connection on the pump is loose and a big enough thump is enough to dislodge the plate where the cable connects to. It has to be something simple as there's not a lot of sophistication to those motors.

·
Registered
nissan gq
2,221 Posts
Hey mate,

I'm sure someone else will be along with some suggestions, but I'd suspect either the throttle cable or maybe one of the linkages. Unless the connection on the pump is loose and a big enough thump is enough to dislodge the plate where the cable connects to. It has to be something simple as there's not a lot of sophistication to those motors.
Check for bad connections in the IP shut down solenoid wiring,inc ignition switch

1 - 3 of 3 Posts