Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon friends.
Bought a 1991 GQ Td42 a few days ago and has had an issue with what I could only describe as a miss sort of kid range which doesn't allow it to rev out. Can putt along with slight throttle but anything over half peddle and it starts to carry on. I've looked at other forum posts for similar issues which state the following issues.
Gauze filter - Checked this and it didn't have one. Made a sort of squid jig out of electrical wire and put it a fair way in and nothing.
Fuel filter - its pretty well brand new
Fuel lines - i have replaced all of the rubber fuel lines and inspected the hard lines for damage to no avail.
Other things I have tried bypass the fuel filter entirely. I've run an inline fuel pump after the fuel filter. I've run the fuel pump without the fuel filter. I've bled the fuel system. I've blown air back through the fuel lines. Checked breather hoses on the tank. Probably the best it ran was with the fuel pump fitted after the filter but the fuel pump not running. Has had a head done on it and a vrs gasket set.
Am I looking at injectors or a IP?
Car doesnt blow black smoke just abit of white/blue and gets worse when its doing the missing rubbish.

·
Safari Hoarder
nissan
4,791 Posts
Is hand primer soft after engine not running? I realize you bypassed.

Have you tried turning up the max load fuel?

How loud/noticeable is diesel ping? IP timing too advanced will cause noticeable ping/knock but should give more performance. This is bad over time.

Under WOT how much smoke can you make? IP too retarded will cause lots of grey smoke and rough at high rpms.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is hand primer soft after engine not running? I realize you bypassed.

Have you tried turning up the max load fuel?

How loud/noticeable is diesel ping? IP timing too advanced will cause noticeable ping/knock but should give more performance. This is bad over time.

Under WOT how much smoke can you make? IP too retarded will cause lots of grey smoke and rough at high rpms.
Yes to the hand primer being soft. And out of the two symptoms, I would pick that the Ip Timing be too retarded but it appears it hasn't been touched in terms of timing. Like all the paint marks it has line up ect.

·
Safari Hoarder
nissan
4,791 Posts
Max load fuel?

there are cast marks for the IP, hard to see. Line on the case and mark on the IP. I doubt this is your issue. Sounds like not enough fuel or valve timing. Any chance injection lines are on in wrong order?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Max load fuel?

there are cast marks for the IP, hard to see. Line on the case and mark on the IP. I doubt this is your issue. Sounds like not enough fuel or valve timing. Any chance injection lines are on in wrong order?
Definitely a chance old mate whoever played with it had the head done so its been apart.

·
Registered
GQ 1992 TD42 NA lwb
181 Posts
Good afternoon friends.
Bought a 1991 GQ Td42 a few days ago and has had an issue with what I could only describe as a miss sort of kid range which doesn't allow it to rev out. Can putt along with slight throttle but anything over half peddle and it starts to carry on. I've looked at other forum posts for similar issues which state the following issues.
Gauze filter - Checked this and it didn't have one. Made a sort of squid jig out of electrical wire and put it a fair way in and nothing.
Fuel filter - its pretty well brand new
Fuel lines - i have replaced all of the rubber fuel lines and inspected the hard lines for damage to no avail.
Other things I have tried bypass the fuel filter entirely. I've run an inline fuel pump after the fuel filter. I've run the fuel pump without the fuel filter. I've bled the fuel system. I've blown air back through the fuel lines. Checked breather hoses on the tank. Probably the best it ran was with the fuel pump fitted after the filter but the fuel pump not running. Has had a head done on it and a vrs gasket set.
Am I looking at injectors or a IP?
Car doesnt blow black smoke just abit of white/blue and gets worse when its doing the missing rubbish.
Gday mate its not an automatic transmission is it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Another thing just noticed after leaving the fuel pump going without the car on after bleeding the system for the millionth time is that diesel started leaking out of the injector pump from the bottom somewhere. I suppose if fuel can come out, air can get in?

·
Registered
nissan
506 Posts
Another thing just noticed after leaving the fuel pump going without the car on after bleeding the system for the millionth time is that diesel started leaking out of the injector pump from the bottom somewhere. I suppose if fuel can come out, air can get in?
Injector pump was not designed to have a constant fuel pressure applied to it. The leak could just be the seals giving way to a higher pressure than they were designed to handle.

I would be pulling the injector gear cover off the front of the engine and check the pump timing out. Make sure all your ZZZZ's are aligned. Depending on how many kays it has done you may be worth doing the injectors and giving the pump a make over. Injectors are about $500 to reco and I have recently been quoted $2k to rebuild and 10mm non compensated pump to an 11mm compensated pump.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Injector pump was not designed to have a constant fuel pressure applied to it. The leak could just be the seals giving way to a higher pressure than they were designed to handle.

I would be pulling the injector gear cover off the front of the engine and check the pump timing out. Make sure all your ZZZZ's are aligned. Depending on how many kays it has done you may be worth doing the injectors and giving the pump a make over. Injectors are about $500 to reco and I have recently been quoted $2k to rebuild and 10mm non compensated pump to an 11mm compensated pump.
Will have a look at this when I can. The motors got just shy of 300k kms. Will probably buy some new injectors, and worse comes to worse ill do the pump. Ill go over everything again make sure all the clamps are tight on fuel lines and i saw you can run a clear hose from filter to pump and make sure there is no air bubbles. Another thing is the fuel return rail has been braised up so I've got a new replacement one of those in case its affecting flow. And then injectors. Also going to do a compression test make sure its not that aswell.

·
Registered
nissan
1 Posts
Before going too big check to see if it has a gauze fitting on the inlet banjo on the injector pump. They sometimes do and they block up with rust or sediment and need a blow out. When they starve for fuel it won’t rev past about 1500 cos it can’t inject enough fuel and it misses and smokes

·
Registered
GQ 1992 TD42 NA lwb
181 Posts
Gday mate im no expert on this but one would think that if the injector pump is leaking fuel then that is the cause of your dramas. Like you said if fuel can come out air can get in. When i first got into diesel engines an old bloke told me air in diesel fuel is the worst enemy, through out the years ive experience what he was telling me (air in fuel lines due to bad primer pump) really is painful. I would check that injector pump before i waste money on injectors that may not be needed. Just something to consider.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Gday mate im no expert on this but one would think that if the injector pump is leaking fuel then that is the cause of your dramas. Like you said if fuel can come out air can get in. When i first got into diesel engines an old bloke told me air in diesel fuel is the worst enemy, through out the years ive experience what he was telling me (air in fuel lines due to bad primer pump) really is painful. I would check that injector pump before i waste money on injectors that may not be needed. Just something to consider.
Yeah will tick a few things off the to do list and will have to look at reco ing the pump.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Did a test on the injectors. They weren't squiritng a mist they were sort of like water pistols. And the injectors measured as below
1:15mpa 2:11mpa 3: 10mpa 4: 10mpa 5: 11mpa 6: 10mpa

So that looks abit iffy so going to sort injectors out and go from there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts