Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine has an intermittent fault which can take 2-10 attempts before the starter motor will work, so i was thinking of replacing it with something a bit more generic like your typical 4 pin 30A relay. My only concern is the factory one seems pretty hd and looks like it uses 6mm2 wire just to trigger the starter solenoid.
Will 30A be enough or should i be looking at something bigger like 80A.

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan patrol ti v
119 Posts
Would suggest a good 80A, the pull coil in the solenoid uses a fair bit of current "in rush".
Hella or Narva do a quality relay.
Cheers,

Reactions: Oilburner

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GU IV
18,758 Posts
I just used a cole Hersey solenoid on a mate's car, cheap and fixed his similar problem.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
52 Posts
I've used a 30amp Bosch relay from a 30 amp fuse

been like that for 3 years

done simpson,cape york plenty highway etc never a problem

Cody

·
Registered
nissan
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I finally got around to swapping it out today. Heres the original one between the battery and inner guard.

I picked up a starter solenoid for $25 made for a early V8 starter motor so its a bit overkill at 200A continuous but thats all they had at least it should last forever ha ha.
Unipoint solenoid in OEX box

I had to enlarge the holes in the original wire eyes as the solenoid studs are slightly larger. Then cut the plug off the old solenoid and attached it to the new one

New next to old

Bonus! mounts perfectly using the original mounting screws
I only used the white trigger wire on the plug. the small black one is an earth wire, but as the new solenoid earths through its housing i ran a short wire from one of the mounting screws to a bolt just to the left of it which was a factory earth point already.

·
Registered
nissan
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
FFS, did it work? ;)
Of course it works :cool: no more click click click click click click click click click click click click arrrrrrrhhhh
When it first started randomly happening i thought it was the starter motor itself , so i replaced that with a new one.
After that i just started carrying a bit of wire around for six months to bridge the terminals if it wouldn't start after 10 clicks.:roll:

·
Premium Member
nissan
5,279 Posts
Of course it works :cool: no more click click click click click click click click click click click click arrrrrrrhhhh
When it first started randomly happening i thought it was the starter motor itself , so i replaced that with a new one.
After that i just started carrying a bit of wire around for six months to bridge the terminals if it wouldn't start after 10 clicks.:roll:
Thanks. That's great news. Nothing worse than a random issue.
Cheers. ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine has an intermittent fault which can take 2-10 attempts before the starter motor will work, so i was thinking of replacing it with something a bit more generic like your typical 4 pin 30A relay. My only concern is the factory one seems pretty hd and looks like it uses 6mm2 wire just to trigger the starter solenoid.
Hi

where is the starter relay located in Nissan patrol v8 2020 model?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello sir

where is this starter relay located?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts