Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,
Today I begun to give my GQ turbo TD42 ute a big birthday...
Today mainly consisted in getting the thermostat housing off as the dreaded long bolt snapped in half, with the lower thermostat housing siezed onto that long bold. We basiclly has to destroy the lower thermostat housing to get it off, then helicoil the thread after it was ground off.

My main issue is pitting/erosion/corrosion in the water pump volute. As this will probably reduce the pumps efficiency.

I have read about problems with TD42 aluminium corrosion issues. So what I need to know is is this an urgent issue. And is there any annodes or protection that anybody uses?

Here is some pics...

Cheers

·
Registered
nissan
11,162 Posts
id be replacing that asap imo. may as well do it now while its all apart than put it togeather and then have to disassemble. price might be a tad exxy though.

nissan patrol y60
433 Posts
id be replacing that asap imo. May as well do it now while its all apart than put it togeather and then have to disassemble. Price might be a tad exxy though.

x 2 thats pretty bad

·
Registered
nissan
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah probably will be the best option. Nissan wanted $240 for the lower thermostat housing, so I dont want to know how much they want for the timing/pump housing.
Anyone got one laying around?!

·
Registered
nissan
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is there much involved in changing out this cover? I have read about removing the sump because its best to change its gasket aswell.
Is the fuel pump timing easily aligned?
Are the pulleys removes with a puller or Just by removing that 41mm nut?
Thanks heaps

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
307 Posts
Wow, that looks really bad. I happened to change my waterpump (engine has just over 400k) on the weekend and there is not the slightest sign of corrosion or pitting in my housing.
One thing, I'd consider if I had to go through the effort of changing the housing is to convert it to the later model one that has the vac pump there and not on the alternator. Just my 2c.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts