1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gday
I have a GQ TB42, used to have a TD42.
When I had the Diesel donk the temp gauge generally only went just over the first line, so was sitting almost at the bottom of the gauge.
The TB42 is sitting about half way and I am concerned at this.
Does anyone else have the same issue? am I just worring about nothing? or is there a problem?
Also the petrol sucks alot of fuel, around 23L/100kms. Will get on LPG soon, dont like LPG but havent a choice.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GQ SWB
110 Posts
my temp gauge sits about halfway with the aircon on and in 35deg Darwin heat. As for the fuel......you don't by a GQ with economical running in mind, they are thirsty, maybe give it a good tune up but don't expect too much, even on gas!

·
Registered
845 Posts
Gday
I have a GQ TB42, used to have a TD42.
When I had the Diesel donk the temp gauge generally only went just over the first line, so was sitting almost at the bottom of the gauge.
The TB42 is sitting about half way and I am concerned at this.
Does anyone else have the same issue? am I just worring about nothing? or is there a problem?
Also the petrol sucks alot of fuel, around 23L/100kms. Will get on LPG soon, dont like LPG but havent a choice.
The temperature gauge gets to the normal (roughly halfway but it depends on the phase of the moon when they made the gauge) position before about 70C and doesn't move until the temperature gets over somewhere near 100C. Nissan and other manufacturers do this so as to not scare the drivers. Start to worry if your fan is roaring all the time. For that matter, worry too if it never roars (fan hub low on special oil)

My 91 build TB42 carby model Mav gets about 23 litres/100Km on short trips around town but I got 17.5 litres/100Km on a 14000 Km trip to the Kimberley from Melbourne. I just cruised at 100 on the blacktop and usually 70-80 on the dirt. I had 33" tyres with a roofrack and an extra 33 up top. I have owned it since new and I have never even drained the carby bowl, but it had a new radiator (old one damaged), then the new one has had a rod and flush when the fan started coming on in warm weather.

·
Registered
nissan
241 Posts
The temp gauge is a mystical creature that in no way represents the actual water temp. Mine boils at the half way mark, or the 3/4 mark or 1/4 mark. It depends on what mood its in, so basically don't trust it.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,691 Posts
Fuel economy (or lack of)23l/100 Ks, thats about the average for the TB42

Goin on gas , well gas will use up to 30% of volume more than petrol,but the price at the pump is cheaper

Does the government still have the gas rebate ???
If not youll be expecting to pay a few grand for the LPG conversion (tank in the rear)
Or even more if you want the LPG tank under the car

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey Mate,
My fuel consumption is around 23ish, temp doesnt climb much more than 1/4. Most I have had it upto is about 1/2 towing 3 tonne into a headwind on a 40 degree day up here in the pilbara, since then I have fitted a tranny cooler and a torque converter lockup switch, it hardly moves off the bottom line when your cruising on the open road on a 40 degree day with a good wind at 120 it will sit on a 1/4. If your concerned about your temp my advice would be spend the cash and get an after market one for your trol. I think most people on here would agree that the GQ temp and oil pressure gauges go hand in hand when it comes to reliability.
cheers, Matt

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
GQ temp gauges work fine and I trust mine, because I have installed a new temp probe (genuine nissan) and I have a good understanding of my car. Every GQ is different, will heat up differently, will be blocked up differently, will have it's own flaws, you just have to come to understand how your particular car works.

And yes, if you don't trust the gauge, get something DECENT aftermarket, or you may as well just continue using the factory gauge.

·
Registered
nissan
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies.
The other day temp gauge was sitting pretty high but was 32 deg and 70% humidity, may try and back flush it and hopefully remove some crap.
Government rebate of $1500 still applies so hopefully all that tax I pay I may get just a small portion of it back. LOL

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,691 Posts
LPG rebate is still $1500,thats good
But youll still have to dig in the pocket for the difference
Its around 2k ish (from memory)for the tank in the rear cargo area,and more for under car tank

If your worried about it running hot now,with summer around the corner i certainly be looking into it

Has the radiator had a proper clean/flush out recently (no not with a hose)
Seems a blocked/dirty radiator help with many heating issues,just a thought

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Mine sits just under the halfway mark on the temp gauge

LPG around town depending on traffic and stop/starts is between 23-26 litres/100km on the highway its between 18-20litres/100km

Petrol , i dont really know , it certainly has more power when using it but have never monitored it

·
Registered
539 Posts
On a 33 deg day here in Sydney my GQ sits stable on 80deg (aftermarket Guage)

As for fuel consumption...... welllll........ I own a big ass american ski boat and use it about 2 times a week so the GQ is very economical in comparison :)

·
Registered
nissan
203 Posts
I learned my lesson when I cooked the motor of my 68 XT falcon in 1973. Since then I regularly flush the tanks and block, replace the core when necessary and renew the all hoses every few years. If you're running too cool or too hot the performance and fuel consumption suffers. Temperature gauges are fickle and are all different. Its change that you need to watch for. If it goes up higher than usual its a sign of trouble. The gauge on my TB42 runs at about half way - summer, winter, loaded, unloaded, towing or not, air/con on or off and I check it almost as often as I check my speedo and more often than my fuel gauge.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts