Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day Patrollers, not exactly a newbie but have been out of the game for a few years (kids/life) I'm getting back into the 4X4 scene. I currently own a 94 GQ TD42 NA which has been a great bus, bought it from a farmer stock as a rock and had great fun lifting and accessorizing it myself. But there is much more I want to do to it, but alas my busy life affords me no time for such endeavours, ergo I am in the market for an upgrade. GU TD42 factory turbo/intercooled is the truck for me. I am still a bit staggered by the $$$ these vehicles hold, I have had a few nay sayers try to convince me not to pay 30 to 40K for a 15yo diesel truck. I know they are good, just looking for some peace of mind and confirmation of my decision to spend the $.

Also suss on the trucks I'm looking at with 4" of lift, this is a drama with NSW rego yeah? Don't wanna drop good $ having to unf*&#$ the suspension.

All and any comments are appreciated.

·
Registered
nissan
6,406 Posts
I'll start by saying I'm an owner of a 2000 GU wagon with a TD42T modified with aftermarket turbo and intercooler. I'm really happy with the car but if I was looking for a vehicle today I would be spending my $35k on a 5 year old automatic CRD 3 litre rather than a 15 year old manual TD42. IMO, either car in stock form is underpowered, but either car can be modified for acceptable power without compromising reliability. Sure the TD42 can make more reliable power than the CRD but I think the amount of power you can get out of a CRD without jeopardising reliability is quite adequate.

You are right to be wary of cars with big lifts. Buy something legal so you can spend your money on stuff you want rather than stuff you didn't know you had to buy.

·
Registered
nissan
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great advice mate, appreciate your reply. I'm inherently averse to the 3LTR engine for some reason, always been a lover of the big TD42 mainly due to longevity when looked after (bigger donk, doesn't work as hard) Noted the 3L variants fetch less $$, gotta be a reason for that? Ack your comment on suspension lifts, not a fan of big lifts (illegal) Better off with something closer to stock and saving up for sensible mods. But the Alpha male in me says "buy a shiny truck with muddies and a big lift"
Tah mate

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,278 Posts
I fully agree with what OB says, you could buy a late model CRD and have cash left over to do all the things you wish to do. Not sure why you would be averse to the late model CRD they are at least as reliable as anything else out there, bigger is not always better, sure if you want 1000nm torque you won't get it with umost reliability from a CRD but 600nm is not that hard to get and still remain very reliable.
My 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
nissan
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I fully agree with what OB says, you could buy a late model CRD and have cash left over to do all the things you wish to do. Not sure why you would be averse to the late model CRD they are at least as reliable as anything else out there, bigger is not always better, sure if you want 1000nm torque you won't get it relably from a CRD but 600 is not hat hard to get and still remain very reliable.
My 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
nissan
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I fully agree with what OB says, you could buy a late model CRD and have cash left over to do all the things you wish to do. Not sure why you would be averse to the late model CRD they are at least as reliable as anything else out there, bigger is not always better, sure if you want 1000nm torque you won't get it with umost reliability from a CRD but 600nm is not that hard to get and still remain very reliable.
My 2 cents worth.
Thanks for your 2 cents mate. Still trying to convert my thinking on the 3Ltr. Do they attain high km when looked after like the TD42? I'm not looking for a soot blowing torque monster, just a reliable tourer to tow a camper every now and then. Still wondering why the CRD is not as expensive as the TD42? They seem alot cheaper for a nicer/newer truck. Gotta be a good reason for that. Maybe I will just spend the 40k on the TD42 with 82thou on the clock and be done with it.......

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,278 Posts
The reason is the 3L got a bad name from the original DI, which sent the price of the 4.2 to level stupid. There is nothing wrong with the CRD, same gearbox, same transfer case, same diffs, just a 3L that has great potential.

·
Registered
nissan
6,406 Posts
Noted the 3L variants fetch less $$, gotta be a reason for that?
The 3.0 was a lot cheaper new and are as common as dirt but the main issue that the 4.2 is so much dearer is there is still a lot of paranoia surrounding the ZD30 because of the grenade issue connected with the early DI engines. The reality is later ones were no less reliable than other modern turbo diesels. I'll agree they are probably not as durable as the TD42 but they won't have the cooling issues of a turbocharged TD42 either and you can expect half a million km out of most of them.

·
Registered
nissan
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The reason is the 3L got a bad name from the original DI, which sent the price of the 4.2 to level stupid. There is nothing wrong with the CRD, same gearbox, same transfer case, same diffs, just a 3L that has great potential.
Thanks mate, appreciate your reply

·
Registered
nissan
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The 3.0 was a lot cheaper new and are as common as dirt but the main issue that the 4.2 is so much dearer is there is still a lot of paranoia surrounding the ZD30 because of the grenade issue connected with the early DI engines. The reality is later ones were no less reliable than other modern turbo diesels. I'll agree they are probably not as durable as the TD42 but they won't have the cooling issues of a turbocharged TD42 either and you can expect half a million km out of most of them.
Of course the old "grenade" issue, certainly cost it some credibility. And acknowledge the cooling issue. On searching have noted the 3.0 CRD late models do hold some value. Can the 3.0ltr cut the mustard towing/overtaking is my main question I suppose?

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,278 Posts
Of course the old "grenade" issue, certainly cost it some credibility. And acknowledge the cooling issue. On searching have noted the 3.0 CRD late models do hold some value. Can the 3.0ltr cut the mustard towing/overtaking is my main question I suppose?
600nm you can get reasonably easily, not enough? :), there's hundreds of them out there towing vans and big boats etc.

·
Registered
nissan
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
600nm you can get reasonably easily, not enough? :), there's hundreds of them out there towing vans and big boats etc.
Fair point, 600nm will do it. Good food for thought.. I think I'm just hung up on heritage/family history, grew up in a TD42, still on the road and bought another one. Either way I won't be seen in a Landcruiser 😆

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,278 Posts
Fair point, 600nm will do it. Good food for thought.. I think I'm just hung up on heritage/family history, grew up in a TD42, still on the road and bought another one. Either way I won't be seen in a Landcruiser 😆
Well, that's a good start. to me buying the cleanest, later model you can afford is the way to go, a shopping trolley being something high on the list. No way I'd buy a a heavily modified 4by, most of the fun is had in doing the mods yourself, that way you learn so much about your ride as you go. Good luck in your search no matter what you finish up buying.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts