Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

Installed my ARB Frontier tank a month ago and today got the urge to reinstall my towbar. Spent the morning fixing the old wiring and installing a new flat socket, got all new mounting hardware ready, removed the bumper, went to install it.... and it doesn't fit. The centre beam just behind the hitch is hitting the mounting brackets for the tank. If I force it the rearmost side holes are about 5mm and the front holes are about 10mm below the frame rails.

Curious if anyone's had this issue before and what they did to fix it. The irritating thing is if the GQ didn't need spacers to fit the frontier tank then the bar would fit perfectly fine. Apparently you aren't allowed to modify the towbar directly, and I feel it would be a bad idea to modify the tank brackets especially since it hasn't been mod plated yet. The early idea rattling around in my head is to get some ~10mm bar stock and use that as a spacer along the frame rails, however not sure if it would be safe. Second problem with that idea is I'd have to drill new holes in the frame rail near the old ones which I want to avoid as the original installer took 2-3 attempts to drill each hole correctly and I'm worried about taking too much out of the frame in that area.

Can't really get a good picture of it hitting the brackets but it's this style of bar if it helps.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Hello all

Installed my ARB Frontier tank a month ago and today got the urge to reinstall my towbar. Spent the morning fixing the old wiring and installing a new flat socket, got all new mounting hardware ready, removed the bumper, went to install it.... and it doesn't fit. The centre beam just behind the hitch is hitting the mounting brackets for the tank. If I force it the rearmost side holes are about 5mm and the front holes are about 10mm below the frame rails.

Curious if anyone's had this issue before and what they did to fix it. The irritating thing is if the GQ didn't need spacers to fit the frontier tank then the bar would fit perfectly fine. Apparently you aren't allowed to modify the towbar directly, and I feel it would be a bad idea to modify the tank brackets especially since it hasn't been mod plated yet. The early idea rattling around in my head is to get some ~10mm bar stock and use that as a spacer along the frame rails, however not sure if it would be safe. Second problem with that idea is I'd have to drill new holes in the frame rail near the old ones which I want to avoid as the original installer took 2-3 attempts to drill each hole correctly and I'm worried about taking too much out of the frame in that area.

Can't really get a good picture of it hitting the brackets but it's this style of bar if it helps.

View attachment 512012

Cheers
Ping ARB for a comment,there might be a simple fix,

Cheers,G

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Forgot about this, Went to ARB and their advice was that on some cars with rear tanks you need to install the towbar before the tank because you can't do it the other way around. Just looking at it I don't think that will work anyway just because of how the tank brackets sit.

I've sort of given up for now, it would be nice to have a towbar but isn't super critical. I was hoping to get a rear bar made up in the distant future so might just get one with an integrated tow setup.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts