Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im building up a 95 gq ute so far i have fitted my 5in flexi lift and 2in body lift, 37's and now in up to the engine, its a 240k old td42 with a safari turbo kit and full 3in system. i just got a egt and boost gauge and im wondering how much boost can i run if u screw the 10mm pump right up and what sort of cooler should i run

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
1,514 Posts
being a 95 model it could have the poo engine in it but if not the safari kit will probably make max 18psi with the 10mm pump and will run lean.

·
Registered
98 Posts
My safari turbo makes 20psi with the pump NOT screwed right up. Although I always run 12 with good egt's.

·
Registered
nissan
11,202 Posts
from all accounts yeah they do. id say max 12 psi would be safe with good egts. unless you find an older silvertop td42 or a gu factory turbo engine.
as for cooler i prefer w2a coolers as you dont need any trick piping or bonnet scoops or the like. but anything is better than nothing.

·
Registered
nissan
796 Posts
best way to go is get it on the dyno, make sure you go to someone who knows what they are doing
I have a BB garrett and I only can get 13psi out of my pump safely, pump is maxed out
where abouts are you?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Mate ive got a black top 4.2d with safari Turbo n safari front mount cooler, its been turbod since 09 n has done 60.000ks n hasnt missed a beat but mine has hiflo injector,3" strat tru system. I will be fitting a egt n boost gauge n fitting a boost tee I will uping my boost up to 10-12pounds of boost...

·
Registered
nissan
11,202 Posts
Mate ive got a black top 4.2d with safari Turbo n safari front mount cooler, its been turbod since 09 n has done 60.000ks n hasnt missed a beat but mine has hiflo injector,3" strat tru system. I will be fitting a egt n boost gauge n fitting a boost tee I will uping my boost up to 10-12pounds of boost...
so yours is running only about 8psi now? this is considered safe even on the weaker black top engines. run any more than about 12-13 with uncontrolled egts and your asking for trouble long term.

·
Green Machine
nissan
881 Posts
I was lookin at using a top mount. So this 95 td42 is a lot weaker then my 00 td42t was?
Dont quote me on the actual measurements here, but I believe the later model GQ TD42's had 25mm or so conrods and smaller gudgeon pins whilst the TD42t GU motor had 32mm conrods and much larger gudgeon pins.

Like I said, not exactly sure on the measurements, thats just from memory. The earlier GU also had a 11mm plunger in the pump along with a boost compensator.

·
SUI GENERIS UTE
GQ Ute 1990 Silvertop
6,075 Posts
A couple of old threads on this subject that might help

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/nissan-patrol-gq-y60-ford-maverick-11/pootrol-turbo-qs-td42-9466/

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/nissan-patrol-gq-y60-ford-maverick-11/how-much-boost-9835/

I think tye1986 questioned me on this in a very reasent thread i had been checking my old microfish parts cat and i just cannot find engines in GQ's that have block mounted oil jets after Aug 1993 which is the main reason you have to be a bit careful with power and EGT for these engines all TD42T GU engines have these oil squirters fitted to the block.

I was lookin at using a top mount. So this 95 td42 is a lot weaker then my 00 td42t was?

·
united fuel injection
Nissan
2,633 Posts
A couple of old threads on this subject that might help

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/nissan-patrol-gq-y60-ford-maverick-11/pootrol-turbo-qs-td42-9466/

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/nissan-patrol-gq-y60-ford-maverick-11/how-much-boost-9835/

I think tye1986 questioned me on this in a very reasent thread i had been checking my old microfish parts cat and i just cannot find engines in GQ's that have block mounted oil jets after Aug 1993 which is the main reason you have to be a bit careful with power and EGT for these engines all TD42T GU engines have these oil squirters fitted to the block.
All TD42's have piston squiters, they don't an oil spray through the side of the conrod like some engines so have to have a piston squirter to lubricate gudgeon pins and cool piston a little also! Factory engine the oil squirter actually fits up inside the piston at BDC and pumps oil through the cooling passage under the crown of the piston!

·
SUI GENERIS UTE
GQ Ute 1990 Silvertop
6,075 Posts
Yes ToughDiesel know about the rods but these ones are on the Block that shoot oil up towards the piston crown. There are 6 of them they get fed from the main oil gallery.

All TD42's have piston squiters, they don't an oil spray through the side of the conrod like some engines so have to have a piston squirter to lubricate gudgeon pins and cool piston a little also! Factory engine the oil squirter actually fits up inside the piston at BDC and pumps oil through the cooling passage under the crown of the piston!

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,497 Posts
my ute is build 10/95 but on the side of the rocker cover it says the engine was build 6/95??
Pertty sure yours will be the engine with the black rocker cover, which is not as good as the engine with the silver rocker cover. From memory, 1993 was the changeover.

·
SUI GENERIS UTE
GQ Ute 1990 Silvertop
6,075 Posts
This has been explaned in old threads many times. After looking at old parts microfish over the last few days there are many changes to the engine after Aug93 the main things are piston and rod changes cylinder block changes mainly oil jets being removed from engine block and the casting positions, also their seems to have been cylinder head changes as well. After Aug95 there is another spat of changes to the same things. The supplements do state rod changes which seem to be gudgeon pin changes Also piston weights did change here as well. My hard copy fish only go to Jul98 after this date Nissan went to soft copy system with Nissan FAST which is not as good on detail as the old microfish system which has workshop details and supplements included.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
my vac pump is on the back of the alternator. i can get a older td42 is it worth the swap? its a 7 month 1990 silver top engine with 200k on it

1 - 20 of 20 Posts