Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have been wanting to have a go at installing one of the small Waeco's into my centre console for a while now and finally got around to it on the weekend. I decided to remove the old console entirely rather than fit the Waeco into it, in case I ever want to put it back.
I downloaded Sketchup and came up with a bit of a rough design just going with measurements I'd taken off the old console

Using a sheet of 12mm marine ply, I drew up all my cut lines. Not having much in the way of woodworking tools, I had to make do with a jigsaw and a lot of care. Stuck it all together using PVA wood glue, then drilling and screwing it all together.

Then I went to Clark Rubber and got some cheap carpet squares and some vinyl which I stuck on with a bit of help from my more artistic wife

And finally installed it into my car

Pretty happy with the final result. Some things I would change - I would've cut the base about 10mm skinnier because once I'd put the carpet on, I realised I hadn't allowed for the extra width it would add, which made the install a bit tough and I ended up have to reglue some of the carpet in the car.
I also would've used a stronger wood for the base. To fit the screws that hold it in place, I had to drill a rather deep recess for the screws to reach and with plywood being the way it is, it's not held in as strongly as I would've liked. So I have to hope my kids don't climb over it.
And a pretty minor thing is I would've bought a larger piece of carpet to work with and keep all the carpet grain heading in the same direction for aesthetic reasons. The Clark Rubber carpet squares are only 500mm x 500mm so I had to cut the side pieces with the carpet on an angle to make the length.
All up, materials cost me about $50 and I got the fridge on special at BCF for $87, so was a pretty good deal in the end. Fully recommend Sketchup for anyone tackling woodworking tasks like this. Took all the guesswork out and you could see the final product before buying the wood! Looking forward to using it again when I have a go at some drawers next year at some stage

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,054 Posts
I like that! Might keep that idea in mind for my ute.

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,157 Posts
I have one sitting on the floor of my workshop. ;)

I will be getting a trimmer to do mine in vinyl so it will be neater than me botching it. I have Falcon XR6 seats so my design is a bit different to your in regards to the width and position - mine sits more central to give the extra clearance needed. And I have made a coin/wallet/CD tray in front of the cooler. Makes good use of the space.

Good job on the computer design too, mine was made with trial and error.

·
Registered
nissan
79 Posts
Love it bro! Will have to spend some time pulling my center console apart and try to throw something like this together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
I've had one in my GQ for years, but it wasn't anything like as well done as this one. But it cooled drinks, had a good cup holder and made a good arm rest.

Only issue I had was that it draws a fair bit of current.

Your set up is a lot better than than mine - well done!!!

·
Registered
nissan
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers guys. Had the screws pull through the ply last week unfortunately but it still sits in there quite nice. Just wobbles around when you put your arm on it. Will probably knock up another one of the same design at some stage next year and use jarrah or some other hardwood on the base. Maybe even source some longer screws with matching thread so I don't have to drill as deep a recess for them. Oh well, you live and learn!

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Use washers / plate and bigger screws.

·
Registered
nissan
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll think of something. Cheers for the ideas though. Washers will be the go next time round, and as you say about the brackets, good idea, if it doesn't move the screws won't pull through. Will look into it. Cheers guys

1 - 11 of 11 Posts