Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
1,109 Posts
I don't think its an unreasonable price if the car is in good condition, no rust, no dodgy bushes, etc. The adjustable arms and lockers are gonna set you back $4000 over a standard GQ alone, and it has pretty low km.

As with any car you need to inspect it yourself, take it for a drive, ask for receipts, and dont take anything at face value.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
That's not too bad, provided there aren't any uglies lurking. I sold my 89 with 460K on it for $12K, but it had a lot more gear than that. I reckon it's worth a look.

·
Registered
nissan
631 Posts
mate if it is too far away there are independant companies that do a motor vehicle inspection for a couple of hundred dollars. I had this done on a car and was quite impressed. As above mate if it has full service and receipts well worth a look! It is exceptionly clean, maybe to clean! And at less than 10,000 km a year for a 27 year old car it is either a great buy or a scam. This is what the inspection can help with.

·
GHMBC #3
nissan patrol gq lwb,3"lift.
3,788 Posts
the odd grandpa driven one shows up occasionally.looked at a 91 tb42 with 90 thou k's ,looked like it was just off the showroom floor at a dealers, $8995.i see a couple getting around my area in as new condition driven by older blokes,be worth a look if you like that one.all the pristine ones have the alloy bar it seems.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
35 Posts
Being it's a TD42 over a TB42 and the condition it seems to be in, I would be making the trip and checking it out and then making an offer if all is in order. The engine alone is worth $5000. I bought my 89 TD42 fr $5000 but it wasn't well looked after (with 420K on the clock) and I have put a good 2 grand into it, so it cost me about $7000.

The fact it's out of rego or will be soon and the fact it's a 25+ year old car I would use those a points when making the offer. I think it's worth $10,000 if there isn't anything too major wrong.

If you have the cash I wouldn't let her pass you by without at least having a look. I traveled 3 and a 1/2 hours for mine and bought it, for the right vehicle you need to be willing to make the trip.

·
Registered
nissan
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers for all the comments and feedback , i think i am going to give this one a miss only due to location .

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Being it's a TD42 over a TB42 and the condition it seems to be in, I would be making the trip and checking it out and then making an offer if all is in order. The engine alone is worth $5000. I bought my 89 TD42 fr $5000 but it wasn't well looked after (with 420K on the clock) and I have put a good 2 grand into it, so it cost me about $7000.

The fact it's out of rego or will be soon and the fact it's a 25+ year old car I would use those a points when making the offer. I think it's worth $10,000 if there isn't anything too major wrong.

If you have the cash I wouldn't let her pass you by without at least having a look. I traveled 3 and a 1/2 hours for mine and bought it, for the right vehicle you need to be willing to make the trip.
Yeah, I bought the GQ wagon after a nice long drive to Narromine from Canberra area and the GU wagon after driving to Brissie. Mind you, I do like a road trip....

·
Registered
nissan
383 Posts
Although the km's a are relatively low for age and it 'looks' in mint condition in the photo's I'd still be sus. It's near the coast and more than likely done beach work.

Also, you're going to have potentially problems with compliance to transfer to NSW when it goes for a bluey. -44 offset rims wont pass, lift will need engineering, turbo etc. All potential headaches.

Suspension + other mods can be a good buy, but if the suspension has been there for years and is flog out you just going to need to replace it anyway.

Also, if it's aftermarket turbo, does it have intercooler, what boost is it tuned to? has it been running around on high boost running dangerous pyro's with only recently fitting gauges?

Even if you return it to stock for compliance, I doubt you would get any insurance company to cover what you paid for it.

Maybe high 9's if in mint condition + there wasn't a compliance issues for state to state transfer.

Reactions: straydog

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
10,990 Posts
$13k for a GQ?
Yeah it looks clean but its 27 years old.

No way known I'd pay over $10k for any GQ unless it had a Gen IV V8, decent GU's can be had for $10k.

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
If it's as good as it appears I think $13k is a reasonable starting point for the seller to kick off at.

Think about what $10k will get you - there's plenty of $10k 4wds that aren't a patch on Patrols when it comes to toughness and ability, like Pajeros, all of the dualcabs, 80 Series LCs (and the odd abused 100 Series) etc.

Then look at $10k GUs - I did, for 6-12 months. If I was after a farm truck I'd have stopped looking after the first month or so. But I wanted something reasonably tidy and clean, and mechanically sound.

I'm sure there are $10k GU gems out there, but I didn't see any.

I ended up paying $6k for an original unmolested 1995 TD42 GQ DX - vinyl floors, no mod cons other than A/C - but with no rust, I reckon I got a good deal. Not a bargain; the seller knew it was worth at least $6k and wouldn't budge. I agreed... it has over twice the mileage of the GQ that this topic is about, and none of the fruit. Could I fit it out like the subject GQ for an additional $6k? Not a chance, and even if I did get close, there's the mileage to consider.

That GQ for $10k would be a bargain if you were looking for a keeper. For $11-12k it would be a good deal.

·
Registered
nissan/patrol
653 Posts
I picked up a like new condition 99 GU for $10k. Mind you I spent 4 months looking for one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts