Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1989 GQ TD42 wagon
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my quest to get the front wipers working (fuse keeps blowing) I have pulled out the wiper stalk to see if it was faulty.

Pretty simple mechanism, but is the grease supposed to be on the contacts? Or is that supposed to be on the detent mechanism?

It's an 89 GQ with fixed speed intermittent, if that makes any difference.
IMG_20200216_102315.jpg
IMG_20200216_102255.jpg

·
Registered
nissan patrol
7,258 Posts
You can get new ones for about $50 on Ebay.

Ive converted to the changeable intermittent arm.
The change able bit dosent work but rest works as normal, plus the arm is a nicer rounder newer look.
Goes same for headlight stalk..
Straight bolt in.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
10,632 Posts
Yeah dielectric grease on the contacts is normal.
While the switch is apart look for worn or pitted contact areas, I've used regular lead/tin solder to build these areas back up before and I've had no issues after a few years.
If you remove the contacts from the plastic housing silver solder would probably be a better option, more conductive, a bit harder and higher melting point.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
7,258 Posts
Yeah dielectric grease on the contacts is normal.
While the switch is apart look for worn or pitted contact areas, I've used regular lead/tin solder to build these areas back up before and I've had no issues after a few years.
If you remove the contacts from the plastic housing silver solder would probably be a better option, more conductive, a bit harder and higher melting point.
I like idea of solder.
Might have to try that on my headlight stalk.
Though a few points playing up now so might just be time for new one anyways

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
10,632 Posts
I like idea of solder.
Might have to try that on my headlight stalk.
Though a few points playing up now so might just be time for new one anyways

Its pretty easy to build them back up, just have to be careful not to rest the iron on the plastic bits and melt them, and to take your time doing it.
A set of small files helps for shaping the contacts once your done soldering too.

I have always had a spare switch or two on hand as well, MQ switches are known to play up given their age.

·
Registered
1989 GQ TD42 wagon
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I d
Check the wire harness that runs to the washer bottle pump. It normal rubs on the panel below the battery. Same fuse as the wipers.
I'll check it, but the washer works even when the fuse has blown. In defiance of every circuit diagram and all I've read on here.

·
Registered
1989 GQ TD42 wagon
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought of dielectric grease, but wanted to check as it was the only thing I could think of after opening up the switch.

If that's ok, I'm still chasing shorting wires somewhere.

·
Registered
nissan
1,719 Posts
Never tried it but eleco's usually test them googgle might help if you want to do it yourself. I think you test the stalk contacts for resistance I think it's called first to see if it's operating correctly. Process of elimination just research it thoroughly and find a good video to help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts