Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see that greasable CVs are now available from hardy spicer, they're drilled down the centre with a grease nipple in the end.

Has anyone tried them? I'm concerned that the hole down the middle will weaken them.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The grease goes out the seal and from there to the inside of the rim then spreads itself around the inside of the wheel arch, I thought that part would be obvious.
:)

I was thinking when it does start weeping out from a (third) inner seal failure or whatever I can help the CVs survive by putting some more grease through them after each section, displacing the diluted grease. Also regularly "changing out" the rather stressed grease in the joint by pumping some through. I dont think these joints were designed for going quite this fast, let alone high speed use with a lot of steering angle on. I'm constantly at 3000-4000 rpm in 3rd, 4th and 5th high range.

Rebuilding swivel hubs is a miserable job, and I've got some good mates who seem to end up doing most of the job too. My front diff is severely bent so I'm putting a good, solid braced 4 pinion front diff together and I want to be able to leave it alone for a few years without worring about what is going to fail next.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, Cals ones are a little pricey. There are other things I should be spending that kind of coin on first. But on the other hand, dismantling hubs is a pain in the ass.

I saw an ad somewhere. but it wouldn't be the first time the middle man got their wires crossed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.